There are no books that can give me the same amount of emotion and memory I had expierenced while reading In Search of...

There are no books that can give me the same amount of emotion and memory I had expierenced while reading In Search of Lost Time.

Marcel Proust is the greatest writer.

If you don't agree then you've probably only read Swann's Way and nothing further. Only true patricians can get through In Search of Lost Time

>Inb4 Joyceposters start an angry cockfest

I'm about halfway into Within a Budding Grove. It's really really really good. That's not to say Joyce isn't great, too. Not sure why we have to play partisans for one or the other. Hoping to finish the whole thing in a few months.

It's okay.

What the fuck.
>it's okay
>okay

A lot of people on this board who like Joyce underestimate Proust and don't get him as much. In Search of Lost Time is much more "mature", for lack of a better word. They're both good, but Joyce admitted himself that he could was not as great as daddy Marcel.

>3000 pages

The severe and powerful poetry of HD > Proust & Joyce

>English speaker
Joyce

>French speaker
Proust

Correct?

/thread

Isn't it closer to 3500 pages?

I want this to be true so much. Last time I put this much faith into a female modernist, I ended up with Gertie Stein. I haven't yet read Woolf (aside from MD).

As a French speaker who was raised in a bilingual school, I find Proust unreadable and Joyce fine in Portrait and Dubliners.
My favourite 20th century French writer is Julien Gracq, other than that I prefer poetry and short stories.

I am just about finishing my second read of the whole thing - back to back, veritably.

>seven volumes
>each costs twenty bucks
Yeah, nah.

>poorfags will never be able to read the pinnacle of literature
serves them right

>Julien Gracq
It's so rare I ever see him mentioned on Veeky Forums these days, though it was here that I heard about him first. What's your favourite by him?
By the way, I haven't read any Proust but why did you find him unreadable? Gracq is not the easiest of writers, is he? Those lush, unending sentences...

>I am just about finishing my second read of the whole thing - back to back, veritably.

Sheesh... and thats all you can muster to say about it?

Is it really the 2nd longest book, how long is it?

>wikipedia says it contains women, love, humor

Be honest, is it a H*manist piece?

>2017
>not downloading it for free

In Search of Lost Time is something I definitely anticipate reading, however there is a lot that I haven't read yet, and I plan on at least reading Joyce beforehand, if only because I kind of find ISOLT to be intimidating

What are the best editions?

how long does it take to read this fucking behemoth?

HD actually sounds ferocious. HERmione is near autobiography and fucking dazzling. It sounds like a whole typing pool is angry at you. Don't ignore her prose works.

What do you mean?

I'm not. I want to read her one about being a patient of Freud, real bad.

Woolf's prose in The Waves is comparable to Ulysses fairly easily. To The Lighthouse is about the shortest 'fully realized' novel about a family I've ever read.

H.D. is the most concise writer in modernism, easily. She doesn't lose musicality and color to her severity though. Every line is as precise as lines from (good) Haiku, with Helen in Egypt being like a glazed Oil painting with symbolism thinly placed on top of one another until the depth of color and meaning grows exponentially. Yes i know how gay that sounded.

i read the first four pages last night because I was sleepy. It seems like he just finished reading a ton of kant and hume and started staring at the walls in his bedroom

ANSWER