What if the Heimlich maneuver doesn't work?

What if the Heimlich maneuver doesn't work?

Could you theoretically just blow air really hard into someone's mouth and fire the blockage into their lungs? I mean they'd be able to breath once its actually out of the throat? You could then just have the blockage removed from your lung.

Is this bait?

LITERALLY not an argument.

kek I refuse to acknowledge the existence of people with such a level of mental retardation

t. Retard

This is one of the stupidest things I've seen posted on Veeky Forums.

Funny how you don't have an argument either

>This is one of the stupidest things I've seen posted on Veeky Forums.
youmustbenewhere.jpg

There's no point arguing with someone who doesn't understand why blowing something into your lungs is a fucking retarded idea.

It's a temporary problem you stupid motherfucker can't you read

Yeh, very temporary. Because you'll fucking die.

You'd die if you were left to choke too you mongoloid, its obvious you can't fucking read

I would imagine the solid mass irritating the lung(s) would send the person into a horrible coughing fit that would go on until:
1. It broke up and was ejected
2. They continue coughing all the way to surgery
3. Their lungs/airway are to irritated to breathe properly and they suffocate

Holding them upside down and shaking them would probably be a better idea.

Well I guess its better to let them die then trying to blow it down their throat after the Heimlich fails

any blockage to the throat causes swelling
pushing it into the soft and delicate lung tubes would completely fuck them up

So let them die instead right

No... I literally just proposed an alternative. One that I know has worked before.

>Holding them upside down and shaking them would probably be a better idea
You're serious?

When the Heimlich maneuver fails, the person typically passes out from lack of oxygen, which would prompt you to start CPR. When doing CPR on a person with a blocked airflow, you basically just blow air into their lungs and do chest compressions until it comes out.
t. certified in CPR

>blocked airflow, you basically just blow air into their lungs
But you just said blocked airflow

Sorry.
attempt* to blow air into their lungs.
Happy now?

So you fire the blockage into their lungs with your breath?

I just said it has worked before, vs your idea of blowing it down their throat, which would have obvious, and likely unanticipated, repercussions. So yes, I am serious.

Now lets say your idea doesn't work

No. Also, you're still compressing their ribs, which helps break apart the blockage and push it back up the asophagus. The breathing into them is just used for if you can get any air whatsoever into their lungs.

So if someone has a blockage you blow into their throat and it wont fly down into their lungs? So blowing into them is a viable strategy?

You're at a computer, so if you don't believe me just look up the procedure for CPR on a choking victim.

>You're at a computer
I'm at a phone

You're all brainlets. There's a little flap of tissue that opens and closes in your throat. Choking primarily occurs when an object becomes lodged such that the tissue can't open. Had to shoot a horse because of this.

Why the fuck does food and air go through the same hole?

So you think this flap is a perfect defense and no amount of pressure could force something through it?

checkmate, brainlet

HeimKEK btfo

In Australia we dont teach or use the Heimlich at all.
Apparently he was a bit of a scam artist who devised it mainly as a self promotion thing.
Problem with it is that it forces air out of the lungs precisely when they need as much as possible in there.
We lean the person forward and give a few solid thumps between the shoulder blades to dislodge the object.

Newsflash, retards. Some people don't know everything about everything. And by "some people", I mean everyone. This is a science board, you fucking mongoloids. It exists so that people can ask questions and learn. If you can't assist others with their questions, then fuck off back to /b/

Just so you know, the tubes become smaller the further away you go from the trachea. So you might be just lodging the obstruction harder.

So, blowing air with the explicit purpose of alleviating the obstruction is a dumb idea, and blowing air into an asphyxiating person shouldn't be your first recourse.

Lungs are not hollow, they are more like a fractal made of pipes ramifying into smaller pipes.

This

Apart from the Aus poster above, it sounds like there's no-one in this thread with any First Aid training.

St. John's Ambulance First Aider here, the answer to OP's question is yes. If you can't get the blockage out and they lose consciousness, the most important thing is to get air in. In doing so you might force the obstruction into one of the bronchii. But you wouldn't try to force air into someone who was conscious.

Sorry and this user is trained .

Everyone should do some first aid training.