IQ

What is Veeky Forums's stance on IQ score being a good indicator of intelligence, ability, and cognition? Is it outdated? Are there better ways to measure and determine someones abilities, strengths and skills?

Being smart implies that you will score high in the IQ test. But scoring high in the IQ test does not imply you are smart (this can be proven via a counter example. There are many brainlets with high IQs).

So if you get a low score in the IQ test then that means you are retarded, so you can trust it as a first-measure retardation test. However, if you pass it then you may be a false positive, and here is where more technical tests can be useful.

In my opinion, a good application of IQ tests could be in job applications. Force everyone who applies to take a quick IQ test. Anyone below 130 gets immediately dropped. After that then you take the ones who remain and give them a technical test on the specific skills for the job, and that way you can more accurately measure intelligence.

That said, even there you could get some false positives. There are people who learn things by reading books, instead of just intuitively knowing everything which is the definition of intelligent. So we have to accept there are limits on testing and the best we can do is wait for having genetic indicators for intelligence and using those.

>intuitively knowing everything
No such thing.
Knowledge can only be built on to previously known knowledge, not mattering how fast or how effectively the person thinks. Knowledge is everything, even more so than innate intelligence. Intelligence itself is a very very vague concept.

>genetic indicators for intelligence
Genetics don't really have that much effect on intelligence since it is pretty malleable even on adulthood. People who believe in genetic determinism don't actually know how genes or intelligence works.

This.

Outdated, unrealistic, does not recognize the "muscle"-ness of a brain in that it can be trained to a large degree to think better.

Plus knowing your IQ is lose-lose. If it's a number you're not happy with, you believe you're inferior, your self esteem is trashed, you believe that trying hard in any subject you consider challenging to be pointless. If you get a number you're happy with, you use it as an excuse to be lazy and to boost your ego to look down on others. You use it to be an asshole.

Never ask anyone their IQ. Never test your own IQ. The only thing it does is produce assholery

>just intuitively knowing everything
IMO. It's more akin to proficiency at finding puzzle pieces and assembling puzzle pieces together.

>Genetics don't really have that much effect on intelligence
Well fuck, all this time wasted on doing calculus homework; when I could have just taught my dog how to do it for me instead. I could have altered a keyboard for him to use and everything.

Copying this from another thread because I know you guys are gonna start your bullshitting again.

>You aren't just given a piece of paper and supervised to make sure you don't cheat. The test is dynamic and personalized, and the psychologist must watch you INTENTLY. They will test your concentration, verbal timing, coordination, and other aspects of intelligence that can never be determined online. More often than not, they are administered as part of a battery of tests to assess one's overall mental functioning. You don't just pay a scientist for them to tell you how smart you are.

>There are three major legitimate IQ tests in America: the WISC, the WAIS, and the Stanford-Binet.
YOU CANNOT SCORE HIGHER THAN 160 ON ANY OF THEM
All scores at or above 145 mean essentially the same thing. Once you hit the 99.99th percentile, comparing scores becomes absolutely meaningless. For all intents and purposes, 145 is the "highest" score for anyone.

EVERY TIME UNTIL YOU GET IT RIGHT

>when I could have just taught my dog how to do it for me instead
The main reason dogs can't operate on the same level of ours is because of their inability to communicate knowledge (and thus, share abstract concepts) with us. Communication is the reason humanity is so well adapted, not really intelligence. You'd note that really intelligent animals are usually social animals capable of at least semi-communicating abstract concepts between themselves.

I could buy one of these babies for my next dog to learn how to use while he's a newborn. Then he'll be golden.

Wow.
Nice argument, dogbrain.

so many people here are obsessed with iq christ

Thanks, you too. Sadly I don't think I can counter a smug anime face. As illustrated on your image. It is at the top of a triangle.

Sources
>Lynn
>Rushton
>SAT scores

Who are you trying to fool? Yourself?

we all know it is true user

>The main reason dogs can't operate on the same level of ours is because of their inability to communicate knowledge

holy shit, now you are just delusional..

>multiple choice test
>"a work interview"

>After that then you take the ones who remain and give them a technical test on the specific skills for the job, and that way you can more accurately measure intelligence.

This is fucking retarded. Simply having a skill isn't a measure of intelligence. Though I guess you could measure the speed a skill is acquired.

>intuitively knowing everything which is the definition of intelligent.

...I dont even.

I didn't say it was the only one, since they seem to have obviously less developed parts of the brain which might account to memorization, abstraction and other minor brain functions which might impact learning.

But yes, communication with others is a major factor in an individual's mental development.

Correlation isn't causation, user. Also centuries of social selection and slavery affects people.

It's time to accept the european mongrelization and welcome your new african neighbours.

>Genetics don't really have that much effect on intelligence since it is pretty malleable even on adulthood. People who believe in genetic determinism don't actually know how genes or intelligence works
yikes

i would argue that intelligence is completely based upon your genetics. you can go to graduate school for electrical engineering, and you will learn the complexities of the science, but you will never become 'more intelligent' in the sense that we recognize it - rationality, thinking, behavior, pattern recognition, perception, etc. these are characteristics hard-coded into you, at birth, based upon the pattern of neurons that arose to form your brain as an embryo.

as a biologist with more than just an undergrad degree (!), i would like for you to explain to me what you think genetics is.

>adulthood 18+ yo hypothesis
Is that your argument? You cannot even prove him wrong.
>biologist
How am I not surprised?

Its a good measurement but its not perfect. Someone with a low IQ will never get a phd. There are ethnic Groups with very high IQs whose achievements dont reflect that, like NE asians.