Let's be honest. He was the last great social critic/comedian

Let's be honest. He was the last great social critic/comedian.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JX0zS6BZiQg
youtube.com/watch?v=wIXL8tpKm6g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He was a liberal

That's why he was a good comedian and critic

Lol no

lol you're on Veeky Forums, not reddit, sweetheart

it's time you go back

>mfw people who unironically get all their political opinions from stand-up comedians

I like Carlin. That said, leave now.

George Carlin was unfunny in an unfunny way.

Funny in a funny way: Patton Oswalt

Funny in an unfunny way: Bill Burr

Unfunny in a funny way: Doug Stanhope

Unfunny in an unfunny way: George Carlin

lol there is no god because of [aimless rhetoric] EVERYBODY BUT ME IS STUPID

>Funny in an unfunny way
>Unfunny in a funny way

What did he mean by this?

Daily reminder that Veeky Forums is largely a leftist board (not meme identity politics leftist like you see on tumblr). We believe in the principles of Age of Enlightenment here, far right /pol/tards don't. You're mostly bootlicking, tribal, submissive assholes, incapable of critical thought who need a strong authoritarian leader to tell you what to do.

See also: Schrödinger's statement. If well-received then it's "social criticism", if not then it's "just a joke".

>people who bother having political opinions for any other reason than to tell jokes and fit in

>great social critic/comedian
He was a better looking John Oliver with nicer voice. Same shit childish sense of humor and completely superficial social commentary presented as profound insight. To summarize: kill yourself my mang.

I THOUGHT THIS WAS A CATHOLIC MARXIST TRADITIONALIST BOARD

Which one was he? The last great social critic or last great comedian? Those are two different titles with dissimilar goals.

I've always thought Carlin is a good example of a comic with a highly developed voice and established audience. He could focus in on social commentary because he no longer had the pressure of selling tickets. Any venue would have been happy to have him because he could sell out a show with no problem. Comics who don't have the benefit of fame and need to maintain a POV with an audience that doesn't give them any slack are more interesting.

Daily reminder that Veeky Forums is a Titoist board.

Why?

He was a great social critic who was not afraid to be politically incorrect. He called out idiocy where he saw it, regardless of political affiliation.

Patton oswalt is not at all funny.
I like bill burr, though

Let's be honest, he was a sad, bitter old man from about the mid 90s on and all the "comedy" he did from that point on was pandering, pseudo-nihilist bullshit that does a disservice to his earlier genius.

this Catholics and Marxists shitters have always congregated this shithole

Let's be honest the last 15 years of his career were the best. He was just being honest about how shit American "culture" was.

Norm MacDonald is better

>"Everything sucks, but nothing sucks more than what I used to believe in."
t. George Carlin

Oh yeah Bill Hicks is also stereotypically unfunny in an unfunny way.

Hating on American culture is part of American culture

>age of enlightenment
The definition of bootlicking.
>critical thinking
Doesn't exist.

No, not at all. He made pandering statements about "soulless businessmen" and white people being lame and stealing black culture, then he would talk about how funny or interesting death, suicide, murder, etc. are. His anti-Christianity stuff I get because that was cool at the time but other than that, the dude mainly just said "Burn it all down" which is really just such a contemptible position.

Also, "You Are All Diseased", one of his more famous late specials (1999), featured him going on for eight minutes about how terrorists will never attack planes and how exciting he finds death and terror.

Basically, he was a fucking edgelord.

Which is really a shame because he was a pioneer in his early-mid career. His playful attitudes with language, versatility, politically outspoken bits, strange physical humour, and fearlessness when it came to vulgarity really blazed a trail. The whole "HAHA PEOPLE DIE EMPTY WHITE BUSINESSMAN SUCKING ON A BIG BROWN DICK" attitude of his later material really undermines that.

That sums him up pretty nicely desu

lol

I think that it is in everyone's culture

Carlton is a god but mostly because of his role as Rufus in the most Veeky Forums film franchise of all times, Bill & Ted.

>sweetheart
Every god-damn /pol/ liberal reaction post, use some originality for fuck sake!

Carlin*** of course

This is what I get for mobileposting from bed

That pissed me off too. /pol/tards are such fucking idiots.

Firesign Theatre aren't all dead yet.

He seems like a meme more than anything. Desu, he wasn't that funny.

That's because his comedy had substance

well. i fucking love carlin. my youth was spent reading his books and basically trying to mimic him in every way, even went to see one of his shows. it was great.

I love comedy. I love smart comedians. The three greatest comedians alive that deal in social satire and criticism are (you're not going to like it) Dylan Moran in his first few specials, before he got complacent and stopped doing whatever drug he was taking, probably heroin. Louis CK. yep the cuck extraordinaire belongs here. offensive, funny, and ultra liberal in activism. (i have my opinions on liberality of comedy, it backfires on them since many libs don't want offensiveness that often anymore, which is a bit depressing.) and finally, the youngest, the only other man with talent out there, based on what i have seen of him and his work at large, Bo Burnham. his wit is quick, his intellect is severe and he uses humor to survive it, he's not fully developed but as he matures, he potentially will be the comedian of the generation, no doubt about it.

everyone will disagree. Most great comedians are lucky if they get one or two amazing specials and are out of the picture. it's just the comedian's life. and it's true of the greatest. also, man fuck politics for ruining a chat about carlin. he criticized both sides. yeah he was a liberal but he bashed the shit out of the eco warriors and the speech crafters. and he was right when he split conservatives down the middle as well.

Hey, can you recommend some good sources for yugoslavian history?

> dissing on based Doug Stanhope

Go fuck yourself. I don't agree with all his politics shit either but he's still funny black comedy.

i see he offended you. what a special snowflake you are. the left at first glance seems to have a monopoly on butthurt, but the right are just as easily pushed into complaining about what's important to them. you're just as fucking sensitive and he poked fun at you too. yeah he was an edgelord, but he was a funny edgelord. you'll never argue him out of his place alongside the greatest comedians in history.

norm will always be number one

Oh you're mad he made fun of stupid white people too? White guys who wear their baseball caps to the back and shave their head as a masculine statement because they are balding are all a bunch of faggots who deserve to be ridiculed.

No Refunds was an outstanding special. I love the idea of this man rising out of some shithole in New Mexico to absolutely blow out the starfuckers in LA. Even if you don't like his comedy, the work ethic is insane, he's played almost every club in America.

Louis C.K. rolls on stage, his worm body hanging over his Ixian cart, crushes a stool with five-ton body. His face is somber.

>Fremen... I wanna be serious for a moment. I've got something I need to say.
*Crowd murmurs, some worried faces in the audience*
>My Hwi... my Hwi just gave birth to a healthy Harkonnen baby boy!
*Crowd erupts in cheers and applause, cries of "Congratulations!"*
>Nine months ago my wife was bred by a strong Harkonnen bull, and today I held the product of his virile seed in my indestructible arms. I couldn't have been more proud.
>But you know, when I was in the nursery, I looked around at the other babies too. And when I looked at the Atreides babies...
*Crowd begins to hiss and boo*
>I know how you feel, everyone. But when I looked at the Atreides babies, and more specifically the, uh, diaper area. I noticed that they all had...
*Crowd shouts in unison "LITTLE ATREIDES SANDTROUT!"*
>I couldn't believe how tiny those things were! I felt SORRY for the women who have had to put up with THAT for the past three millennia!
*Laughter*
>But when I looked down at the baby in my arms, I could see from one glance that he had a...
*Crowd shouts in unison "BIG HARKONNEN SANDWORM!"*
>I was like "Damn, this thing is bigger than me, and he's just a baby!" So much for "the golden path", huh?
*More laughter*
>I know one day he's gonna please a LOT of Atreides women unhappy with their husbands' tiny sandtrout, just like me!
*Cheers mix into the laughter, one Bene Gesserit shouts, "Me first, me first!"*
>Sorry, but there's already a hundred Face Dancers ahead of you on the list.
*Crowd "aw"s*
>Hey, you MIGHT be able to get to the top of the list... if you ride the worm of every Tleilaxu here, right now!
*Crowd explodes with excitement, chants of "SIAYNOQ!" and "Ride that Shai-Hulud!" erupt. The woman's husband cheers her on as she gets on her knees in front of the first Tleilaxu. The show ends as everyone watches the woman service Tleilaxu after Tleilaxu.*

cuck

>Funny in an unfunny way: Bill Burr
>Unfunny in a funny way: Doug Stanhope
unsure what this means

I also find later Carlin embarrassingly trite and edgy. The ultimate teenager's comedian. I don't follow up on comedy so I can't really speak with much authority. The only things I've seen by him have been him old and bitter and I didn't appreciate it too much.

You know, that was painfully unfunny.

I'm very saddened that you put so much work into it.

W R O N G

>The only things I've seen by him have been him old and bitter and I didn't appreciate it too much.
Listen to this album.

Carlin is shit. Jim Jefferies is funnier and more erudite than Carlin ever was

>jim jefferies
lmao 'no'

Alright, thanks. I've never gone wrong from trusting user before, I'll get back to you eventually w my thoughts on it...

His 'infinite little daves' is a great work

What solutions did he offer? To claim a problem exists without offering a way to resolve it is meaningless.

Let's be honest. He was the last great social critic/comedian.
youtube.com/watch?v=JX0zS6BZiQg

I didn't write the pasta, friend.

LIT IS A SUBGENIUS BOARD PRAISE "BOB" AND BURN IN HELL

>Jim Jefferies
I know humour is a very subjective sort of thing but Jim Jefferies is so unfunny that I feel physically uncomfortable. Major second hand embarrassment

Nobody likes woody Allen here?

maybe, maybe not

but thats all comedy is any more and there's no doubt he's on the long list of people to blame

Norm

>DER ARR NO TERRORISTS, DER GOVERNMENT IS LYING TO YOU
>RELIGION IS A SCAM FOR MAKING MONEY
>MAYBE THE ALIENS WILL COME BACK AND TEACH US HOW TO LIVE AGAIN, LIKE THEY DID AT THE BEGINNING OF HISTORY
>Keith Olbermann has the best cable news show in the country
Yeah, no thanks.

>likes Patton Oswalt
Opinion discarded

>George Carlin

He's literally just another dime a dozen "DUDE EVERYTHING IS SHIT AND THERE"S NO POINT TRYING TO FIX ANYTHING" comedians and I have no idea why people put him on such a high pedestal, other than that he was one of the first to start being really edgy about it.

That bit about election day was especially cringeworthy.

>Daily reminder that Veeky Forums is largely a leftist board (not meme identity politics leftist like you see on tumblr). We believe in the principles of Age of Enlightenment here, far right /pol/tards don't. You're mostly bootlicking, tribal, submissive assholes, incapable of critical thought who need a strong authoritarian leader to tell you what to do.
REEEEEEEEEEEEE
WEEEEEERRREEEE FUUUCCKKING CHRRIIIIIIISTIIIIIAAAAN AAAANAAARCHISSTTS HOOW MANNYYYYY TIIIIIIIIIIIIIMES DOOOO WEEE HAAAAAVVE TTOOOO GOOOOO THROOOOOOOOOOUGGHHH THHIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Carlin was trash. I unironically like kevin hart more than that overrated hack

Lol god youre fucking pathetic

>Veeky Forums shitting on one of the most Veeky Forums comics ever
It's almost as if they know nothing of his work.
See: 'Modern Man' or 'Advertising Lullaby'

>Leftist
>Believe in God

Pick only one you anarcho-commie-athiest neckbeard faggot.

see

>one of the most

nice dubdubs btw

>It's a "comedian" confuses stand up with sermon episode
>It's a "comedian" rants in way to make himself look superior to others episode
>It's a "comedian" makes "insightful" commentary episode
If you like these kinds of "comedians" you should probably kyss yourself D E S U

Why? Comedy allows us to laugh at the most fucked up awful and contradictory bullshit parts of ourselves. It's catharsis. Imagine how cool it'd be if priests would tell is how awful we were, all fire and brimstone, and the audience are laughing their head off!

Yeah I just prefer it when it's actually funny though and not just preachy bullshit or rants

Veeky Forums is an Spencer-Proudhonian anarcho-individualist board like the rest of Veeky Forums.
Deus Vult shitters and Marx cucks aren't allowed here.

You're probably hard to hang out with in real life.

Yeah, and that's why he was funny. All conservative comedians I've seen have been as bad as female comedians, if not screechier.

>far right /pol/tards don't
That's a sweeping generalization that is untrue in many cases. Sad!

>You're mostly bootlicking, tribal, submissive assholes, incapable of critical thought who need a strong authoritarian leader to tell you what to do
Not really. Most /pol/ style authoritarianism wants to BE the authority that tells others what to do.

You're retarded if you think the far Right is submissive, especially in light of the European Migrant Crisis.

I'm just about convinced that anti-/pol/ faggots have never actually visited /pol/. I've never seen a good criticism of /pol/ that accurately reflects its true nature.

Steve Hughes and Doug Stanhope are the only good comedians of the past 20 years

>George Carlin was unfunny in an unfunny way
Okay you sound a little butthurt friendo
>Patton Oswalt is funny in a funny way

Stanhope is not funny le comedians comedian hesjust not funny

If you think carlin is the last great social critic holyshit do you have reddit on another tab?

daily reminder that half of this board browses /pol/

Jorodowsky? Nah

No, this is definitely pol. I've been there and I have never seen such a hive of frantic insecurity coveted up in brainwashed buzzwords. It's like the bullies who think they're king of the school but literally have no friends and are beaten up by their dads daily. They're like members of Jonestown who think it makes them empowered. It's really weird how none of them can see how totally cucked they are, and yet they throw that word around like a textbook example of projection.

I don't know mang, that might be just your nationality speaking. In France we have Dieudonné. He's a black antizionist and hilarious.

I'm agnostic :^)

Election day is pretty true though. Especially relevant now.

Baldy detected. Newsflash faggot, it looks like shit

In my opinion his best bit was about the telephone.

youtube.com/watch?v=wIXL8tpKm6g

The notion of Graham Bell being an idiot with an idea about stringing miles and miles of wire around on poles across the whole fucking continent is brilliant

I've been on Veeky Forums for 8 years and I legitimately believe that reddit is a better website.

Haha. Never saw this one. Thanks, it's hilarious.

I'll back user up, early Carlin is excellent. He was funnier when he was less angry.

>liberal
>leftist

>hive of insecurity
That is a better description of /pol/, but it's more characteristic of Veeky Forums in general (outside of /b/). Veeky Forums, /r9k/, and /mu/ are more insecure than /pol/, and I'd venture as far as saying that many Veeky Forums users are as well.

Any board where personal taste can be challenged and intelligence is valued lends itself towards insecurity.

>members of Jonestown
Why? Because they tend to align with views different than yours? Because they tend to be collectivist? Do they have fervent allegiance to an ideology or group? Your analogies are weak and come off as the half-baked social criticisms of the comedian in OP.

>how totally cucked they are
I love it when people try to appropriate the insults used against them like this. How is /pol/ cucked? And don't say authoritarianism, you dropped that point. Cuck is a term of submission and passiveness; the aggression and fervor of /pol/ is what gets it the most antagonism (people get sick of hearing about politics all the time).

The best criticism of /pol/ is that people place memes and anecdotal evidence over well-reasoned and substantial discourse. It can become excessively conspiratorial, and migration from Reddit has led to an infection of YouTube drama. (All traits of nu-/pol/, by the way.) They have a tough time shutting the Hell up when they need to, which is obnoxious and turns people away.

t. browsed /pol/ for a year and a half

What, a board that freaks out anybody mentions anything that could be remotely right-wing in values might be more insecure than /pol/, a far-right wing neo-nazi basket weaving board with multiple generals dedicated to left-wing politics.

>2125▶
>norm will always be number one
sup doyle

>We believe in the principles of Age of Enlightenment here

Bend over, I'm here to rape you.