Is there any reason to study math beyond the basics if you have no real desire to learn about it and don't see yourself...

Is there any reason to study math beyond the basics if you have no real desire to learn about it and don't see yourself using it in any productive way?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_beauty
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because like a thick tome, it is beautiful once you understand it.

literature

I think you just answered your own question.

If you want a good paying job you can achieve it yourself
unlike "artist " of any sort who need to be discovered and unique to make a living.

Plus it is a lot of fun. Solving a complex problem with different methods you have learned over years and getting a result that complies, is a great feeling.

And so many people get way too easily amazed by you simply saying you aren't scared of Math like they are but enjoy it. Makes these pathetic weak people seem even more pathetic.

>Calculus should be the minimum mandatory in High School.

Yours is the correct response. But maybe, for instance, if the propounder's doing it's dissertation on Robert Musil, say..

if you cant do math than don't bother reading Milton Friedman, just let your emotions guide you

Because of this:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_beauty
Also, if you're really interested in the subject, read A Mathematical's Apology from Hardy, is pretty short. There he defends mathematics as a human activit per se even if we don't have a practical use for the most recent discoveries, he compares mats with art. Doing Mathematics is a creative process.
Plus, if you like philosophy it's one of the few activities where the Demiurge/Descartes's Evil Genius can't deceive us.

Yeah, autism.

innumeracy is the 21st century version of illiteracy

Hi, fox

Anything can be beautiful, especially if you're a master of it. Math isn't special for that.

a pseud just HAD to come in with the whole "beauty of math" shit. You don't look smart for saying that math is beautiful or artistic. no one is impressed. People who actually do lots of math aren't constantly trying to shove the "beauty of math" in other people's faces. they just like solving abstract problems, and math happens to be a great supplier of them. Fuck you and all you other humanities fags who think you have such a deep understanding of math once you realize that it has an aesthetic. and fuck david foster wallace for being one of the figureheads of this pseud movement with his terrible math book obviously written to impress ignorant english majors

t. math major

Literally, who claimed?

I don't know what you're trying to convey to me.

Math is that it's it own thing. The beauty you get from it isn't dependent on your aesthetic, but is from appreciating the fact that it functions like clockwork.

Basically this.

t. PhD student in Pure Mathematics at Oxbridge

Not him, but he was asking for the value of learning mathematics outside of practical applications. Why are you so triggered you fucking undergrad?

so how do i start

This or bust.

I have had the best conversations on here or Veeky Forums talking about Elements. Learn Elements first, and then maybe learn some modern theory or whatever.

start with the greeks

do the complete khanacademy math course until shit starts getting incomprehensible, then ask Veeky Forums for book recs if you are interested in a particular math branch

>Plus, if you like philosophy it's one of the few activities where the Demiurge/Descartes's Evil Genius can't deceive us.
You're thinking of Satan.

The reasoning being, as a system, it was lying in wait to be discovered. If you believed in God, you would understand that Theoretic Arithmetic provides amazing allegories and proofs of God's existence.

start with the spivak

>Spivak
>not Apostol
Kek

apostol is literally baby mode calculus for engineers. spivak is a good noob intro to real mathematics

What the fuck are you talking about? Have you actually went through both text or you're just shitposting?

If you cant do calculus go to khan academy. Everyone will be recommending a book but if you haven't done math for some time you'll be rusty and wont remember the basic stuff like laws for logs, exponents, trig functions, and factoring and etc... Khan academy is a good place to see where you're at. Disregard if this doesn't apply

t. Someone who started from scratch in summer and now taking calc II

>If you believed in God, you would understand that Theoretic Arithmetic provides amazing allegories and proofs of God's existence.
Can you expand this?

Basic mathematics by Lang, the four books by Gelfand (algebra, trigonometry, graphs and functions, and the method of coordinates), Geometry revisited by Coxeter, than jump directly to analysis.

Yeah, the existence of a numerical system that counts by tens, for instance, based on the digits we have with us when we were created. The idea of one unit being constant with a triangle, and the monad. The monad thus is comprised in all shapes and numbers (The Euclidean unit is composed in every number as a magnitude of that number).

These are all evidence of the one's work. God exists.

Read Theoretic Arithmetic of the Pythagoreans by Gerard Massey.
Read Introduction to Arithmetic by Nicomachus, where he talks about the parabolic 'harmonic ratio' developed by Apollonius.

Most mathematicians believe in God's existence.

Almost all polymaths do. It is a wholesome art.

leibniz fags need to leave

I know this thread has moved on to where to start, but if someone still isn't sure when they "don't see using it in any productive way," I want to say that the beauty of math thing totally checks out for applied math.

Your language lets you describe to yourself your experiences, but you'd still have them without language. Math in the real world is somewhere in between a language and a sense, and there's really wonderful things you can perceive that you couldn't before. Memorable moments for me are walking with a bag of groceries and watching snow fall. Watching snow fall is always lovely. It's also a big moment when you know what it means to pick up the end of a hose.

>analysis
Why call it this instead of calc?

Calc implies the things everyone learns in calc class; analysis is the formal route. A lot more set theory, from how I understand it.

no

yes

Why?

>90 bucks on amazon
Guess I'll find the pdfree and burn out my eyeballs

this isn't Leibniz. my nigga here talking about some bizzare Pythagorean cult shit.

I'm not aware of any science that backs what I'm about to say up, but it's a possibility that working on math is good exercise for your brain's problem solving ability and maybe some other things like abstract thinking ability.

There's little use for the actual math though, and maybe there are other activities that you can get the same benefits from.

So have you never found a proof beautiful?

I mean, 4u

>proving god through arithmetic

CULT! CULT!

>Memorable moments for me are walking with a bag of groceries and watching snow fall
You don't need math to appreciate fucking snow

>they just like solving abstract problems

that means there's beauty in it then

YES YOU DO FAGGOT. WHAT IS THE DERIVATIVE OF A POLYNOMIAL? THEN YOU CAN APPRECIATE SNOWMEN.

You certainly don't. Snow for math students still looks and feels just like snow, and is still as loaded with connotations as ever. Snowflakes are also gorgeous examples of nonlinear dynamics. And although literally everyone who lives anywhere with snow has had this loaded experience of watching snow fall, it took us up from the very beginning of human existence until 1945 to pick out any two flakes on their way down, and watch how they separate, and say, wow, isn't that cool and significant.

Because even if you were to do that, before you get to differential equations - to pick any two snowflakes of similar size that start out close together - you won't really get what you're looking at. It's like seeing a sign posted in a foreign language.