Koran Transaltion

With all the things happening in the world around Islam, I've decided to read the Koran for myself to see what it's really all about. However, whenever I've looked around the internet for a good translation that won't sugar coat or with a bias, the only things I come up with are either Islamist defenders or Islamophobes. Does anyone have a good recomendation for a translation? I heard "A Simple Koran" by Bill Warner was good. However I also found some places calling him anti-Islam. Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

islamawakened.com/quran/65/4/default.htm
amazon.com/gp/product/1904510353?ie=UTF8&tag=islamawakened-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1904510353).
amazon.co.uk/Quran-Oxford-Worlds-Classics/dp/0199535957/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487851847&sr=8-1&keywords=quran
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Abdullah Yusuf Ali translation is the one I've heard is one of the best.

Haven't read it but back when I was planning on buying a Quran, it was the translation I ended up with after some research.

I haven't looked into this, but imagine it'd be similar to finding a good translation of the Bible to read: the best tend to have been worked on by a wide variety of people. The RSV/NRSV usually stands out among non-KJV translations for that reason.

So, I'd try to go with that.

Do you know if it excludes any passages? I've heard that most do.

Here's a good link, has 40 translations you can compare. Me personally I picked Maududi since it doesn't seem sugar coated and it's a recent translation. You can look up what the most controversial lines are and compare how they say it and decide.

islamawakened.com/quran/65/4/default.htm

Yes, but for some reason, the Koran seems to be more complex than the bible when it comes to translations (censorchip, justification, and things like that). This seems very suspicious to me.

Taqiyya/kitman

>I've decided to read the Koran for myself to see what it's really all about
>Wants to read a translation

I'd recommend something with explanations like Muhammad Asad's The Message of the Qur'an (amazon.com/gp/product/1904510353?ie=UTF8&tag=islamawakened-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1904510353).

I don't read Arabic so I can't really tell if its a good translation myself, but apparently it is one of the most accurate out there.
That's the one I have for the same reason as you. Fairly inexpensive which is nice.

amazon.co.uk/Quran-Oxford-Worlds-Classics/dp/0199535957/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487851847&sr=8-1&keywords=quran

The Study Quran is the best in English

>the muslims have got so much media attention that people voluntarily start to read the Qu'ran

Islamic caliphate when?

Go to all the 1 star reviews and you'll see that translation sugar coats the book.

I would definitely not buy the Oxford version.

OP should go for in my opinion.

>RSV/NRSV
>the best

Abdullah Yusuf Ali is the best translation you will find

The one you posted a picture of. Maybe find one by A. Y. A. without commentary, unless that's your thing

>giving satan the time of day

King James translation

Bad fanfic of Bible with self insert character of sand pirate nigger phedophile

>With all the things happening in the world around Islam, I've decided to read the Koran for myself

I'm gonna stop you right there and say if you want to understand Islam from the ISIS angle, don't bother reading the Koran itself, read one of the radical commentaries like Milestones by Sayyid Qutb. You can google a pdf but you'll be on a list, but it's of 100000x more value in understanding the mindset than the scripture alone ever will be

I have heard it said by some that the "Noble Qur'an", which is banned in Germany as terrorist paraphernalia is the most accurate translation, as it This English translation "comes with a seal of approval from both the University of Medina and the Saudi Dar al-Ifta" apparently.

Well, it's not really just ISIS. What I want to understand is the religion as a whole. Mainly to be able to debate about it. I mean, it seems like its going to be a big topic moving forward. Specially world leaders with incredibly conflicting views on the topic like Trump and Turdeau.

>What I want to understand is the religion as a whole.

Then again, don't bother with the Koran, because all you'll be able to do is just recite quotes from it without any idea as to the context

In your case, read an academic commentary - The Cambridge Companion To The Quran or something like that. It has a verse by verse breakdown so you actually understand what you're reading with the relevant cultural, historical, linguistic information etc

thanks

I can't speak anything to the quality of the books on this list, but I did save this relevant shitty meme image

thanks these look interesting

np just trying to keep my shitpost-to-content ratio under control

>reading religious dogma
>of any kind

Why waste your time? None of it's written well. None of it makes any sense. Even if it's an attempt to gain insight into the mass insanity of the religious mindset, you'll gain nothing. You'd be better served by reading some psychology to understand biases and other faults in logic humans tend to exhibit. Religious people often barely even know any scripture than a few cherrypicked proverbs. Even David Hume would give you better understanding of how humans tend to think than any religious text.

>Abdullah Yusuf Ali translation is the one I've heard is one with the most Taqiyya.
ftfy

Fucking hell

All translations are falsified garbage. Apologists take great advantage of it. Imam Al-Suq Yadik is very pleased.

Also forgot to mention you should look up "taqiyya". And don't bother with the Quran unless you know Arabic.

>None of it's written well
Nah, every Arab I know praises Qorans poetic side regardless of their religion.

That was my first thought. That' like reading the Torah in English or the Bible is German. Just go to the source dummy. Plus you might learn something.

I just began researching islam and this thread pops up.... it may be Allah no joke....

TAQIYYA TAQIYYA TAQIYYA TAQIYYA TAQIYYA TAQIYYA TAQIYYA TAQIYYA TAQIYYA TAQIYYA TAQIYYA TAQIYYA

Before you read:
In Islam there should be no other sources than the Quran. That makes the whole known religion that is being lived by all the muslims wrong.

In Chapter Baqarah it is explained that the Quran provides guidance for those who believe in God. So a lot of the content will not be accesible for you and your heart.

In Al-Imran God says that that book is composed of two kinds of ayāt; muhkem and mutesabih, meaning metaphorical and literal. He also says that the vast majority of the verses are metaphorical.

The Quran and its content should never(!) be examined in a historical context. The book is written for eternity and should be regarded as timeless.

Eventually you should learn arabic at some point. There are many verses that have been and are still translated falsely. Nisa 34 for example. Many people think theres a permission to hit women which is not true.

Arabs and jews are doing their best to corrupt the religion.