Adult with 4th grade math skills

Dear, Veeky Forumsentists I come to you with a question I hope isn't a waste of your time.

Can a man in his twenties with no practical arithmetic skills become good at math or am I too far gone? I was not taught math beyond basic add/subtract in homeschool. I've always loved reading and thirst for knowledge but I've avoided learning arithmetic because it's an emotional wound of mine.

A coworker asked me to help her with making change because "you're the smart one". I give this impression because I'm well read and can talk about various trivia, geopolitics history ect. but deep down inside I know I'm fucking retarded. I genuinely considered blowing my brains out when I couldn't help her. I hate myself for being stupid.

What should I do to learn the useful arts?

Or will i never understand the esoteric beauty of exploring our reality so i should just kill myself?

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
test.mensa.no/
theguardian.com/science/2013/nov/29/iq-tests-online-are-they-valid
twitter.com/AnonBabble

deez nuts lol

No one gives a shit when you learned how to X; just that you did.

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Math_Textbook_Recommendations#Preschool_.28Arithmetic.29

thank you freind

I'm sorry, this was a selfish thread to make over a mood swing. sorry for the waste

lol this is hilarious
what's your iq ?
test.mensa.no/

Aren't 4th graders supposed to know how to count change?

Anyway OP, you're never too far gone to learn new things - unless you've got Alzheimer's or something. I'm trying to gain back the knowledge I lost after quitting school for 4 years. It's tough, but I feel like it's worth it overall. You just need to really want it.

Don't fall for this. It's a waste of time.

it's not a waste of time, if OP scores less than 140 it's going to be tough, and less than 130 means that it is completely impossible

If you really want to learn, you will learn. But beware, it is very difficult to self-motivate yourself with math, until you realise how amazing it actually is. This takes a few years for most folks.

He'll get scores within that range and well outside it if he takes the test enough times.
Online tests are a joke.

>anyone who scores less than 130 cannot learn math
Nigger you just went full retard. Even in any given calculus class im betting the average IQ of the room is around 120. Our lord and savior based Feynman was a 125.

Your iq is given by the first test you take obviously.

You seem to pretend that irl iq tests are less of a joke than online ones, but what's the difference if one doesn't cheat ?
>answer a bunch of questions
>get a grade in the form of iq according to some sheet of paper

>calculus
lmao this isn't maths retard
>le feynman meme
wat is outliers

>Your iq is given by the first test you take obviously.
theguardian.com/science/2013/nov/29/iq-tests-online-are-they-valid
This guy answered questions extremely quickly without even thinking of the answers. He scored in the "very superior" range multiple times. How do you think that strategy would go on a standardized test, like the SAT or ACT? If you haven't taken them and don't know, the answer is that you would fail miserably.

They use some stupid algorithm for interpreting your results that does not reflect your overall performance one bit. These things will not give you a low score because they expect you to brag and spread the word to others. If 50% of people did badly (which they should), there would be a hell of a lot less exposure for the website.

Think about it, do you really believe that everyone here has an IQ of over 100?

this is bullshit. I have myself answered randomly to iq tests just to check they dont ask me to pay afterwards without giving results, and doing this my iq always ended up below 100.

your guy just cherry picked stupid iq tests.

the mensa one is relatively accurate (+/- 5 pts, roughly), the people who take it and the real test usually score similarly, that is, if they are not dirty cheaters.

most, if not all, of the people on Veeky Forums are going to be over 100, because interest in science (even without being a scientist) is a sign of intelligence in itself, which means there is some bias in the sampling

anyway, you seem to think it overstates iq. if this is true, then it probably won't be hard for you or the OP to score above 140, I don't see why you guys are so insecure about it...

Just answered all the questions randomly and got 103, then 95, then it started saying my score couldn't be calculated for some reason.

I think it doesn't need to be said that a person of average or just slightly below-average should do much better than someone who guessed every answer randomly in two minutes.

I don't want to make another thread so I'm going to ask here:
I have basic highschool math knowledge, should I study highschool math on Khan Academy or though books?

Depends on what you think you can learn from better. Khan academy is quick and easy to learn, but it won't help you get really deep into the concepts. So I would say at least supplement your lessons with a textbook, and try some practice problems to make sure the lessons aren't going in one ear and out the other. Some people find it much easier to use a book,so, I dunno.

Yeah I know this is a bait thread so obviously sage'd that being said Nigger you can get a STEM degree without integrating a single function my dude. Arithmedick

>I think it doesn't need to be said that a person of average or just slightly below-average should do much better than someone who guessed every answer randomly in two minutes.

do it fgt
post results

I exited out of the 103 score, so I guess you'll just have to take my word on that one.

I meant, do it seriously and you'll probably notice your score is still below 130

Not gonna waste my time. I do have pic related stashed in my room somewhere though.

If you're gonna dismiss it because it's a children's test, remember that dumb children grow up to be dumb adults and vice-versa. The percentile is likely still the same.

on the verge of okay-ish, a.k.a. no maths for you, I am sorry. But don't despair, you can still become a competent engineer :-)

Oh no, fugggg D ^ :

Learning math won't make you happier

you really fell hard for the meme
by the way, that one overestimates your IQ by quite a bit.
got a 132 on it, my actual IQ is 118 (Stanford-Binet)

post your 118 iq report then

I bet you're the same faggot that makes up stuff to discredit online iq tests so you can pretend your shitty piece of paper confirming you're a brainlet is lying.

Arithmetic =/= Math. Don't let pop-sci fags tell you otherwise, admitting you use a calculator to do long division isn't a cardinal sin in any math circle. If you want to learn more in math, then I would suggest taking research into topics you may or may not have learned yet (This could be anywhere from algebra to calculus). Either way don't let your lack in knowledge bring you down, you can learn math to a standard level if you keep your mind open and don't let the occasional fuckup with the application of the correct method stop you.