What are your opinions on chemistry?

what are your opinions on chemistry?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_molecular_motor
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That's a pretty broad question. For what purpose are you asking this question?

Better then Bio/Comp sci spastic majors but still inferior to physics/pure math

i meant what are your opinions on chemistry in relation to other subjects like physics, career wise and all that, i kind of fucked the question up and made it ambiguous

Really depends on the type of chemistry and what you study in that area.

Just be urself

and geography

say organic chemistry

Opinions on the subject are pretty polarized. One could almost say any conversation might be very... reactive.

bazinga.

pretty shitty question. Although I spend a fair amount of time studying Pharmacology/Pharmacokinetics/Biotherapeutics which involves chemistry and that shit's scintillating

So like what, creation of new fundamental reactions? Drug synthesis? Kinetic or mechanistic studies?polymer chemistry? Piconjugated small molecules? Piconjugated polymers? COFs?

what are you in now?

and in general how's computational chem?

Pretty worthless right now. Does not account for real world phenomena. You can't present any data without it being legitimized by model compounds in the same study.

The software is getting more legit though.

Studied chemistry for one year in a graduate school and it really sucked. Studying physics now, much better. To each his own I guess.

Organic: God tier, lots of jobs, pharma. Scoff at anyone who suggests you should make illegal drugs, I make enough money right now bitch.

Analytical: Low tier, lots of jobs, organic chemists bitch (analyze what they make).

Biochem: Shit tier, grow cells for shit pay at pharma company, test drugs made by organic chemist after analyzed by analytical chemist. Hate yourself and everyone you work with.

Inorganic: Invisible tier, become a truck driver, probably get hooked on meth, regret everything.

Physical: Wizard level, post-doc for 24 years, become one with the lab, sterile from radiation poisoning, work 80 hours a week for less than $40k/year.

But don't all sciences grow from model systems?

Literally everyone else says organic is oversaturated and not worth going into?

Who says that? Organic chemistry probably accounts for more then 50% of all jobs in chemistry. It's probably 'oversaturated' at the university level, and very difficult to find a job in academia, but you don't really go into organic if you want to work in academia. Unless you go ivy league all the way and post-doc for a nobel laureate.

The level of different types of jobs for any chemist are staggering and often you are not hired or excluded due to a lack of a very tiny specialization that the job is based on.

And yes, model compounds but calculations cannot account for very subtle things that happen in real life such as coating conditions or vibronic coupling in various media to dry films.

>ochemfag delusion

>jelly detected

Organic Chemistry does have a lot of jobs. Especially with polymers.

Inorganic chemists in my experience are usually excluded by the fact they spent their PhD studying iron compounds when the job needs tungsten oxide experience.

Maybe it's the way the Chemistry major at my university works. Organic, physical, inorganic, all jammed together in a single 12 week semester, with some exclusions on some subjects.
Maybe it was the laboratory process, a place that often leads to rose-coloured individuals having to confront the reality of the empirical - let alone scientific - process.
Maybe I just hated all those cunts being all like "Wow that's a really nice colour coming off that [metal oxide]", and I'm just like mate it's a fucking colour bro.
Maybe it was the cohort. Ultimately it was probably just a poor personal fit.
Why the fuck can't I listen to music cunt. Do you want a colleague that's going to mumble and grumble his way as we're all coping with doing some very common laboratory tasks like crystalisation of aqueous insoluble compounds?
Chemistry has no VCS bruh. I recall some of my lab demonstrators having to carefully work through a synthetic process that would take 3 months (for whatever reason).
Imagine a single fuck up on any stage. Or one at the end.
Yeah fuck no.
Fuck chemistry.

i'm an idito

I have no opinion on it, now excuse me while i cry into this Chemistry PhD

It's true though, organic is basically the only one with any practicality to it, it's also the most challenging according to drop rates.

attention @everyone: please reply to the above post. I need >(you)s

got it, i'm replying to the post above yours

i'm replying to you as directed.

I D I O T
D
I
O
T

Memes aside, is biochem really that bad? Would it be better to go for analytical? Ochem is out of the question for me.

For industry, by the way.

depends on your country also depends on how much you want to force yourself to stay in a job relative to the field.

Biochemistry is also doing well currently as a wide industry, there are so many startups. It's not terrible but from what I have seen from the biochem divisions in my undergrad, grad first half before moving and grad second half after moving, they students were universally more miserable to varying degrees and the professor we're more slave drivers than any of the chemists.

Frankly, go analytical, the techniques are universally needed across so many industries you simply can't be limited because people NEED mass Spectra or spectroscopy or whatever at everything from small startups to government facilities, to aircraft manufacturers, to paint producers, to food additives. You could even be a sales rep for some instrumentation company like Agilent.

My good friend was an analytical chemistry focusing on electrochemistry and degradation in polymers and works at Intel etching wafers.

can anyone tell me the trivial name of this?
it's painted on the wall of my cafeteria and I really would like to know what it is. is it some partially digested cholesterol or something?
sorry for bad drawing.

Very biased. Not all analytical chemists work with organic chemists. Analytical has far more application and a wider range of jobs.

bump for an answer to plox

great posto

it's vitamin D (yeah basically cholesterol split by UV)

Chemistry's pretty cool, I guess.
Making/extracting drugs is also cool.

Not a fan. Never quite trusted those chemicals.

DMT is best indole. Behind caffeine though, of course.

chose to go for (((computer))) """science""" instead of it.
2 years into it and my coursework is starting to actually get interesting instead of "muh data structures" but I always wonder if I should have just fallen for the chem meme

Honestly with Comp Sci you're going to make more money with less school. Chem meme sure is neat but there's a much larger future in CS. You seem pessimistic about your degree but I've seen far too many people distraught about their degrees. That kinda shit just happens.

this

Compsci bachelors:
>six figure programming job at literally any Big N* companies if you're competent
>50k+ programming job at literally any other company if you're not

chem bachelors:
>entry level lab tech in some shit factory making $12/hour washing glassware if you're competent
>mcdonald's if you're not

Computer science and science in general is always borring.

If you care about job prospects, there are next to none in pure chem. Either go for engineering or biochem.

>ketone instead of methylene
>stereochemically ambiguous and trivial H substituent

Wat did they mean by this

Do not study chem unless you are POSITIVE you love the subject and want to go to gradschool.

The jobs available with an undergrad are garbage, especially outside the US. In my country, they are almost all dead-end tech jobs make a couple dollars more than minimum wage. Even with a phd you are often making less than someone with a undergrad in engineering or compsci

If you are unsure you want to take chemistry, DON'T DO IT. Pick any other degree you are semi-interested in but look at the availble jobs.

I dont know why compsci has such a stigma on this board, but where I live tech companys are begging to hire new grads, giving excellent salaries with full benefits and everything else.

I studied chemistry and did very well but have a shit job after graduation. Now i'm saying fuck it all and going back to school for programming. I thought about grad school, but unless you love chemistry it just isn't worht it. I was going to switch to compsci after first year but Veeky Forums convinced me it was over saturated with pajeets and I was stupid enough to listen without doing my own real research. I regret it very much.

if you have any questions about taking chem in uni feel free to ask

You talking solo chem right? What about really selective relatively obscure chem fields such as forensics?

my degree was just in chemistry, and I focused on materials.

From my experience, taking a specific branch is even worse.

Those specific fields have much fewer jobs and with a degree in something like foresnics, sure you are a better pick compared to a chem student, but you dont have the general skills to transfer to other chemistry disciplines. Whereas someone with a chemistry degree could apply their skills to that specific field as well as more traditional chemistry like ochem or inorganic etc.

In terms of getting a job with a bsc in a chem setting I think your best chance is a degree in chem, and spend as much time possible getting practice in analytical chem. Get practical experience with HPLC, GC, MS etc and you will have the most markteable skills you can have.

Chemical engineering here. Obviously the degree I'm working towards is much more industry oriented than research oriented, but I enjoy it. It will be nice to work in a factory somewhere and make sure it doesn't blow up

Is it a good idea to take a dual major of like-
chem/bio
biochem/chemE
or got any other suggestions?
And is just stand alone Biochem good/fun?
(Trying to be a med fag)

It's pretty awesome, too bad I'm not that good at it. Mathfag here.

at my university dual majors were not really a viable option unless you tacked on a few more years so in that sense that's up to you to decide. I think something like chem/bio can be fairly helpful for some applications, particularily envrionmental type work. That is actually an issue I faced, where I was interested in envrionmental chemistry but had a hard time applying becasue I lacked the knowledge in the areas of things like ecology, toxicology etc.

To be honest I can't comment too much on biochem/chemE, I'm not familiar enough to say for certain.

The information you learn in chemE is actually very different than chem, at least in my uni. You actually do very little chemistry courses. So in that sense, I do not think biochem would complement it that well. I would think chem/chemE would be more beneficial honestly, because that way you have the chemical theory and knowledge from the chem side and the practical aspects from chemE. But again, I do not have much experience with chemE so that could be wrong in terms of the job market

Personally, I was not a fan of biochem whatsoever, but I know a lot more people who prefered it to chem. Biochem involves much less theory and is a lot more applied. The difference in biochem compared to chem are actually quite large, esspecially if you focus more on inorganic/materials like I did. However, I will say without a doubt that chem labs are way more interesting compared to biochem.

I think it really comes down to what you are interested in. Biochem is obviously a lot more grounded in our health and bodies, and in terms of med school it is definetly much much more useful. As someome with a chemistry degree, it really provides zero background in the medical field.

cont.

For medschool, I think biochem is a decent choice. Better than premed, because if you don't get in, your degree is basically useless. One idea I was introduced to was to take an undergrad in nursing. You get a good intro to med, hands on experience with patients, and if you fuck up you have a really good degree to get a job. Althoughb you should look in to whether that affects your entry to med school, as it could be differnet in the US or wherever you are.

i like it, periodically

Appreciate the information user, you got discord?

If you like biochem and want to do a dual, biochem/comp sci is a good combo. The combo sets you up perfectly for how bioinformatics (and the various "omics") heavy biochemitry is going. Alternatively, if you find that you are don't want to follow up on biochem/can't take school anymore, comp sci will be a good fallback.

sorry buddy, but no I don't. But I'm happy to help!

Got skype user?

Its monstrous.

im currently studying MECHANICS OF MOLECULES

Yes you can create rotors, cranes, propellers etc and put them INTO CELLS TO DO SHIT

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_molecular_motor

ur trolling bout analytical son.

labs need people that can use data from HPLC/PCR to send onto biologists.

I think it's hitting a nice area in terms of ratio of ingenuity/discovery and legitimate mathematics for the current state of science. If I had any patience or interest in the field I would probably be all over that shit. But I don't, so have at it.

I'm against it

I respect chemfags of all kinds.
Protip: at least be able to model in silico. This is going to be a requirement for all STEM majors down the line.

I'm doing Molecular bio/biochem + CS dual major and hoping to get into Bioinformatics phd
Is this brainlet tier?

West coast canada btw

Is this at SFU?

I'm making 50k with a BS in chem working in a lab straight out of college, my other friends who didn't want to stay in chem pass of their science skills to work at large companies doing programming/business stuff

Exactly. There are plenty of synthesis monkeys out there these days. Analytical has plenty of job opportunities in other fields as well.

It is interesting.

>dual major
why do burgers do this

the thing is biochemistry doesn't really go into the chemistry of the compounds (enzymes/proteins/etc) it deals with, it is mostly biology with some chemistry knowledge in it.

as for the categories, you can tell that most of the people here are just undergrads (I am one myself) who have no idea about what a phd entails, the reason? if you need to learn a technique you will learn it no matter your chemistry specialization. you pick up the knowledge as you go along