Veeky Forums degrees

I just finished bombing my second calc 2 midterm despite putting 10-15 hours of studying in a week. This is my second time taking the class and my advisor has already told me I should think of a different career goal. I'm in bio engineering right now, but I don't think my mind is apt for it anymore.

I love philosophy and literature, and am now considering taking one of these up as a major. Has anyone here done this, and what did you think? I am mainly worried about job prospects

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/education/2017/feb/23/ppe-oxford-university-degree-that-rules-britain
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

how many job prospects are you going to have after failing out of your stem degree?

Why? Do a degree that will get you a job you might enjoy. College is 3-5 years. Working life is next 40.

Autodidactism

I'm doing phil, and i like it - though philosophy is fairly difficult, and I'd expect that if you failed calc 2 you might also have trouble in phil. I'm a former math major and find they can be somewhat similar.

I suppose it depends on what type of philosophy you were interested in - do you like history of philosophy, metaphysics, ethics, etc.?

>Autodidactism
What jobs can that land me? You realize the point of university is not to learn, but to get a degree? Half the classes they make you take are worthless. A degree just shows you can show up to classes and handle high amounts of stress.

If you're worried about getting a job, do a major in a foreign language (e.g. Mandarin or German). You'll spend lots of time reading literature during your degree, and can easily get a job in communications/HR/marketing afterwards.

I understand the concepts in calc 2, the tests are just designed to screw you and I already have bad anxiety. The average on the last exam was a 66 and I got a 55.

I mainly enjoy metaphysics

Yeah i really don't give a flying fuck about my courses any more. I just want to pass them so I can move on.

Luckily i don't need to actually finish my degree as long as i get to do my thesis im fine.

t. stemcuck

What are you thinking of doing with your degree? Law/medical school?

Well then I'd say go for it. I find it rewarding, and it's the kind of thing that can last throughout your life if you keep reading and studying after school ends.

w.r.t. job prospects - they're not great, it's true. but the "college route to a career" seems like a bad idea if you're not sure what you want to do in the first place.

also if you take full advantage of the professors, the library, etc. you will really get something out of it that puts you in a good position to do any number of things if you're willing to put yourself out there. many of my friends have done quite well with liberal arts degrees, just took some dedication and creativity

that just means you dont understand calc 2 lmao

>double major in philosophy and bio engineering, busting your ass and being a badass (which you should really do regardless of the major you choose)
>likely get the philosophy degree finished and in your hand before you finish your STEM degree
>can do the philosophy job search while finishing bio engineering degree

also hang out with asians and the kids getting 4.0's in these insane classes, talk to professors, get to know them on a first name basis, really give your courses the attention they deserve. it's not a meme, it will have actual tangible benefits on your life, grades, career, everything.

Which is more important- people or things?
Technical disciplines teach knowledge about things. But this is infinitely less valuable than knowledge about working with people. Choose a discipline with this in mind. MBAs make more than any engineer.

And don't listen to anyone that tries to say that ideas are greater than people. No, they're not. Which is greater, the thought, or the man who thinks the thought?

>MBAs make more than any engineer.

False
Business minded engineers are generally among the top earners. That said they don't work as engineers and many of them have MBAs and a BA in engineering.
But a lot of the top CEOs are pure engineers by degree, it is after all one of the classic career degrees.

All engineers arn't autists but unlike many other fields autsists can actually make decent bank as engineers.

if youre stupid youre stupid

changing majors wont save you

Correct, I would just consider an engineer who went on to get an MBA and doesn't work as an engineer to be an MBA before an engineer. Anyway, what I was getting at is that you can make six figures as a pure engineer, but you have to get into business if you want to make seven.

>want to make seven
hubris

Drive.

>studying math when you're not good at math
why do you hate yourself?

People aren't all skilled at the same things

There's no point in going to college if it's not STEM. You may just be retarded

10 to 15 hours in a week? Is that meant to be a lot to you? You should be putting in at least 50 hours

There's usually more than one course to study in college.

How many job prospects is he going to have if he hates it, is no good at it, and potentially keeps failing?

Do what you enjoy, you'll get better grades, or do a trade.

>Studied for 15 hours
>Still bombed bitch-easy calc 2

How does it feel to know that you're less intelligent than 80 percent of the people in that class? Pathetic brainlet

Integrate x-1/(x-1)^2

From what I remember of college math courses, the tests aren't at all based on what they taught the last month. Really excellent.

Philosopher

I drive

If it's any consolation, Calc 2 is considered the "hardest" math class most engineering students have to take

it's still pretty easy and fun

You're in luck.
I heard that they just opened a new philosophy factory in town.

>majored in philo with minor in math
>masters
>live alone in very cheap apartment with no television or pets
>work part time
>part time job is copy editing for a newspaper

Be me. I was surprised at how easy life becomes when you can trash out pointless entertainment like videogames and television. Ad rem, let your acuelescent sleeves flourish and grow anew ~~

>fails at legitimate major
>considers making philosophy or literature his major
seems about right

ln[x-1] + C

[] = abs val

>no differential
C student confirmed

y/(x-1) + c (wrt y)

im not very good at math but this doesnt look that hard lol...

(x-1)^2=x^2-1x-1x+1

(x^2-1x-1x+1)/x-1 = whatever forget dat part lol

>how many job prospects are you going to have after passing your stem degree?

>failing calc 2

LMFAO calc 2 shit is literally taught in AP Calc highschool

Integrate (sec^2x)/(tan^2x+3tanx+2) dx

Integrate sin(ln x) dx

do your own homework charlie

This. I wish I did this and got like a double major in business law or something.

>in lit degree - secondary education track
>chronic shortage of teachers, especially male ones in english, in high schools
>people consider moving here for this but housing prices are skyrocketing here
the job market is beautiful here in colorado boys

I could do only second one.

Do PPE

theguardian.com/education/2017/feb/23/ppe-oxford-university-degree-that-rules-britain

the richest guy I've every known had a BA in Industrial Engineering and an MBA

Top kek'd Mr. Stemcuck

I tried reading this but it is too much cringe.