Why is writing poetry so fucking hard?

Should brainlets like myself just isolate themselves to prose?

Other urls found in this thread:

afn.org/~afn30346/hughes/crows_account_of_the_battle.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

sure, though you probably blow at that too.

dont think while you write and just write
It will be crap at first then eventually get better
then be crap again
but whats changing isn't the work, its your taste being refined, and you finding yourself

>Poetry harder to write than prose

Is this bait?

If it makes you feel better, good poets were rarely good prose writers, and vice versa. Ted Hughes' short stories are embarrassing, and John Updike wouldn't know a poem from a poleaxe.

Rhyme maybe, but I was surprised how easy stress-based metre is. Do anglos feel like this as well?

write dadaism though
like hugo ball or tristan tzara
call it neodada
and be famous and rich

writing poetry is hard
but with free verse
its not hard at all, as long
as you put linebreaks here
and
there, and pretend li-
ke it means something

- dicki penor

This is correct. Fags will analyze anything and come up with meaning that actually isn't there

r u p i k a u r

just rip off bukowski millenials eat that shit up

Dear god i hate her shitty poetry.

Poetry is harder than prose if you want to be worth a shit (like me).

Ted Hughes is embarassing in general.

it won't work

t. doesn't read poetry at all

might work (which hurts my stomach)

beautiful

i cant into poetry. im too autistic/literal.

>Ted Hughes is embarassing in general.
I mean he's no Eliot but he's pretty good
afn.org/~afn30346/hughes/crows_account_of_the_battle.html

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?

Simple, just write a 100 words of broken English. Then Ctrl f and delete all the words that would otherwise make the piece sensible.

There should be a point to your writing.

since you think it's hard i'm guessing you're attempting to write in traditional forms such as sonnets, odes, blank verse and such; if so, just keep writing and your poetry will just keep improving as you start to avoid clichés and give your work originality. just keep at it friendo, people don't put effort into poetry anymore, it's a shame.

t. brainlet who reads greetings cards

No, I read good poets
[Spoiler]like his ex wife/shadow he lived under

Basically, you write a shit poem and on your 1000th rewrite it might be good. To write poetry as if it's nothing is only for the chosen ones, born-poets

This was an example of 'pretty good'? He's trash, this poem was flat. 3/10

>Why is writing poetry so fucking hard?
Because writing is work, sweetheart.

You'll spend thousands of hours of sitting alone and doubting yourself. You'll likely give up when you graduate college and become so scared of poverty you sacrifice your free time to afford a house or apartment your social circle will approve of. You'll have a project you always want to come back to but will either lose your passion entirely or wait until your mid-forties and then pull a Sherwood Anderson and leave that life behind to discover writing again.

If you're confident enough to temporarily endure poverty with the conviction that you can make a living through writing with hard work, it means you're narcissistic. The only people who make money from writing are those who spent eight years learning how to write from people who've never spent a year away from a classroom in their goddamn life. That piece of paper they give you make your writing good. It makes publishers publish your book. It makes other people with that piece of paper write good reviews about your book. It makes you worthy of prizes such as the MacArthur Grant, the National Book Award, and the Pulitzer Prize.

If you don't have this piece of paper, you better be special. You better write about how you were abused, how other people unjustly made you suffer, how you were homeless for a while, or how someone in a person of power adversely affect your life. If you're not any of these things, then you better be from a country that the Western Powers fucked in the ass sometime over the last century.

If you're not of the above, and you don't have that piece of paper certifying you know how to express yourself through words, and if you're willing to endure poverty to work towards your dream, then you better settle in. Getting published takes some luck and pandering, and knowing someone inside doesn't hurt either. But the second one's harder. If your book flops (which it probably will, you're not interesting, there's no piece of paper after your name) then the publisher likely won't publish you again unless they're feeling charitable.

So you can somewhere else. And you'll probably get published. But chances are none of it will sell. Nobody with a piece of paper has told the people reading the New Yorker that you are worth reading yet. They probably never will.

The most you can hope for is that over time more people will read your books. They probably won't though. If your books really do start selling, you'll be at least in your late forties. You'll have ruined a few marriages and some kids who probably deserved a better parent. But hey, you get recognized a few times.

But if you never see that, if you die and all your books are out of print, then that's it. You can hope that a passionate young person will stumble upon your work, and years after your death there will be biographies over you, but how often does that happen? And what will it matter to you?

Ted Hughes is so much better than Plath, it's ridiculous. She is famous for killing herself, not for writing good poetry. Don't get it twisted.

requesting you poetic bitches post hurr

because you have nothing to say.
maybe stop surfing the pinnacle of human trash that is Veeky Forums and you might find something to say.

Why do you think they had to completely change it

jesus christ

If it isn't hard it's not worth doing. Finding it easy to write a poem is a guarantee that it's no good.

No, she's famous for reaching the level of the great modernists in confessional verse. Hughes lived in her shadow no matter how much you hate that she contributed to the suffering artist cliche.

That's like saying the Foo Fighters are totally better than Nirvana dude. It's just not true (even though i'm not huge on nirvana)

Poetry is a spook, it's prose for people too dumb to write prose.

read T. S. Eliot

user, you must realize that poetry is, at its core, an auditory thing. Prose merely needs to look good written down, but poetry needs to SOUND good. Poetry needs to work when read aloud, because that's how poetry was first conceived. Homer was read aloud, Virgil was read aloud.

So think, as best you can, how what you write might sound when spoken orally. Speak it to yourself in time, ruminating as you go on beats and pauses, stops and starts and fits of sound. HEAR the poetry and do not merely write it. You must have the ear for it, or else all is in vain.

>it's prose for people too dumb to write prose
this is the dumbest shit/bait i've seen in a long time

1/2

wew is this pasta?

When I write songs I just write stream of conscious with blank lines between each sentiment then go back and fill in the blanks and it seems to work for me. The lines are usually based on a melody / prosody of the tune so the meter works OK.

Rewrites are necessary, obviously.
It's usually simple acoustic stuff plucked out and then gets fleshed out during recording.
I know it's not the same as writing poetry but similar in concept.

Anyway, works for me. Nothing great but keeps me sane and, heck, it's better than Stephen King. Though I don't make any $cratch, I'm satisfied and it keeps me sane...

Should brainlets like myself just isolate themselves to prose?
Then I realized I am a retard.
Enraged that I cannot see thine own cock while looking down past the tip of my nose.
Then came hot white inspiration, pollacking my cheeks in long strokes of furious masturbation.
'P-prose, prose, PROSE!' I orgasmically screamed in euphoria.
Then came cops knocking, called by my bitch neighbor Gloria.
I opened the door and their jaws hit the floor.
'sir, what the fuc'