Reading pynchon

>reading pynchon
>dont get most of the references

If you're too dumb to get references, then you're too dumb to be starting threads on this board.

Pynchon doesn't want you to get his references, that's part of his appeal and mystique. It's also why people criticize him

Ok. ok. wow. just... ok. You do realise nobody cares and you should kill yourself right?

How does catching references correlate with intelligence?

That's not true at all.

A decent amount of knowledge on WWII history, engineering, mathematics, Latin, French, German, Rilke, freemasonry, and quantum physics is necessary before you can understand Pynchon

>tfw already wasted my money in something I will not get at all
Why couldnt you had made this post 2 weeks ago?

I know right! England, what the fuck is that shit. An adenoid, yeah thanks cause I'm a fucking throat scientist so I know what that is of course.
And I'm also a history genius who knows what the fuck world war II was all about off the top of my head.

I couldn't tell you what a differential is, but Pynchon explains it beautifully and clearly in terms of the V2 guidance system.

What about in terms of the log cabin?

>reading Gravity's Rainbow
>reading Pynchon wiki annotations
>is too monotonous
>have better time letting references to obscure things go unexplained

There's a companion/key to Gravity's Rainbow.

>tfw Gravity's Rainbow starts making TOO much sense
h-holy fuck

This isn't true. To understand pynchon you just need to go to the Wikipedia page of entropy, predestination, and uncertainty. This is why he is obsolete now. It's not like his prose is worth a damn either

>obsolete
>It's not like his prose is worth a damn either

>t. newfag hoping to fit in and get some (You)s

>might as well post this here
Second attempt at GR, will pic related help me keep everything straight?

>read 900 pages of Pynchon
>"what's it about, user?"
>describe description on back of book

It's about fucking rockets OK!?

That's okay, he's only useful for making hipster-recognition signals anyway.

Lots of his reference are just period-specific, unless he's talking about occult stuff like the Tarot(which he seems to do a lot). Just take it in as part of the atmosphere.

Does he make the calculus houseboat joke? I had a physics professor my freshman year who spent 45 minutes on an incredibly complicated problem just to reveal at the end he was making the fucking houseboat joke

>It's not like his prose is worth a damn either.
Pynchon's prose is better than most poetry, newfriend.

that's unfortunate

but don't let it put you off, Crying is nothing compared to GR, and it's really easy to differentiate people who praise/crit that work mindlessly from people who genuinely feel ways about it

just read it you trash mouth, you'll love it if you put in the time