How do we defeat entropy?

How do we defeat entropy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=FMJNta-okRw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_and_life
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well, you could clean your room for once.

INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR MEANINGFUL ANSWER.

We just need to syphon matter and energy from another universe with a hose

without entropy, life wouldn't exist.

kek

Take the energy magical girls create when they give into despair and turn into witches.

Okay here's the plan
STEP 1
>be alive
>?
>profit

>Doesn't realise absolute equilibrium will never be reached.
>Doesn't realise energy goes through boom and stagnation cycles.
>Ignorant of the fact that entropy is infinite and the Universe will never reach heat death.

>Citation needed

Give me some papers.

Open the universe. Entropy only wins in an isolated system.

what do you think entropy is?

Highschoolers are too young for asimov

Entropy is a good thimg.
Entropy creates complex systems. It makes sure that all random noise is wiped away leaving room for the rezilient systems that can function despite entropy.

Without it something as complex as life could never arise.

And you can always defeat entropy locally in finite periods, We do it all the time.

I'm speaking in cosmic terms
>Entropy a hypothetical tendency for the universe to attain a state of maximum homogeneity in which all matter is at a uniform temperature (heat death)

My essential question is: Can we live forever? Will existence end one day?

>Can we live forever? Will existence end one day?
It will end. Don't so worry about that. But it can potentially keep going as long as we have an energy source to fuel us.

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=FMJNta-okRw

A mere 87 quintillion years a not enough for me, I desire eternity.

Singularity

>The final solution to the Last question
it all makes sense now

By ending the universe.

I would have to imagine that whatever caused the big bang to happen and the universe to expand as it did could happen once more if heat death occurred and all matter gravitated to a central point.

>Quantum fluctuation

Quantum tunnelling in the last epoch of our universe could create in an isolated patch of the vacuum, via inflation, new Big Bangs giving birth to new universes.

There are more worthwhile things to learn about the universe than how it ends.

Entropy isn't an enemy, there would be no linear time without entropy and you probably wouldn't exist, plus it would be possible for the universe to end permanently. If entropy carries on forever and the universe sticks around forever in whatever form, eventually everything that can happen will happen forever. Entropy is your friend, you just have to wait 10^10^10^10^3 years to appreciate it.

What if we wrapped the universe in cling-wrap. I mean LOTS of cling wrap, so that it's airtight.

What a great short story that was.

>there would be no linear time without entropy

If our universe would stop to expand it would halt time, but I'm not so sure if entropy has an effect on the unfolding of time.

I feel bad for the post humans

It wouldn't, entropy would still continue even if the universe started contracting. Its space that's expanding, not the Universe, although the universe is theorized have had an initial inflation field. What causes entropy is energy and matter tending towards its lowest energy state. A sand castle decays because that particular configuration of sand only has a small number of ways to be arranged, thus a high energy, while a pile of sand has an enormous of ways, thus a low energy demand. But that doesn't mean a sand castle can't randomly form and if matter/energy didn't have preference for its lowest energy state chemical reactions could go backwards and forwards (for example, a pile of ash turning back into a pile of wood) and sandcastles might regularly pop up after a wave hits the beach, thus there would be no linear time. You might be born and then go into the womb and be unborn.

There's still the energy to be had from throwing iron into black holes.

become meguca

quantum self-driving teslas

Ooen it somehow.

Open it**

Wasn't this the plot of a book?

A final boss battle with the universe.

>If our universe would stop to expand it would halt time

No it wouldn't, time exists as long as energy gradients exist.

Tried it, didn't work
- K

>How do we defeat entropy?

Life.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_and_life

Eventually all matter will be in black holes. Then the black holes will evaporate into nothing through hawking radiation.

Space will be empty, devoid of all information .

>87 quintillion is not enough for me
Yet you have a life expectancy around 80 years.

we must construct more pylons

Maybe some ultra rich people today will manage to upload their brains onto computers before their deaths.

but,

you also risk said computer being hacked and put in a hell simulation where one second in real life is 10,000 years on the simulation where escape or suicide is impossible. I'd rather choose death than take that risk

To the people who want to live "forever", all matter is made up of atoms that will one day decay. Who wants to stick around and experience near absolute nothingness? It's a horrifying thought to me. "the Jaunt" by Stephen King comes to mind.

fuck i laughed harder than i needed to as im sick, thanks anyway friend

S rank luck

why would it all go into those black holes? It's not going to, they aren't vacuum cleaners

Do not push the button, kid

>tfw you bait doesn't get a response

we don't

Life is literally a means of delaying entropy by transmitting a code through deep time, however changeable. Every organism is like a little island of order. Even if entropy is always increasing.

By creating a dyson universe.

>there would be no linear time without entropy
stop watching popsci youtube soundbites

Merely delays the inevitable

fpbp

Are you talking about fucking virgins?
Yum

See
Alternatively, make a deal and become a magical girl.
Alternatively, die and stop worrying about it.
Alternatively, discover a nonconservative reaction.
Alternatively, ask Jesus to do you a solid when he gets back.

I guess it depends on what you mean by existence. Life, yes, no reason currently to think it won't. Just shit in general, no.

entropy is infinite?

>tfw increases of entropy ARE due to random noise.

My dude

The computers will just run out of energy it won't solve anything

We are clearly not talking about the same kind of random noise here. Common man, try to understand what is actually being said before you leave a comment.

If life is actually able to make it to the point where most of the stars are burned out, what would they be like?

I always wondered what it'll be like when 90% of the matter has turned to iron through nuclear decay. Would the universe become 1 giant magnetic ball? What sort of freaky quantum physics effects would a galaxy sized magnet have?

Care to explain how there wouldn't? Physics works backwards and forwards, its only energy states that prevent causality reversing.

Life definitely not, simulations, maybe.

>mind uploading - one of my favorite subjects

1/2

When we talk about Mind Uploading, one thing we have to understand: Creating a copy of your consciousness isn't you. I think there is only one way to achieve immortality: By Gradual neuron replacement and Mind Outsourcing. This procedure will probably take years and require an autosentience.
Gradual neuron replacement will probably occure over a prolonged period of time, month or years, as the individual neurons of the sophont's mind is replaced one by one by functionally-equivalent devices. The brain continues to operate throughout the process, and if carried out correctly, the subject will experience no discontinuity as their brain slowly becomes replaced by electronic components.
(I would like to inform, that our brain is capable of regnerating itself by its own. The brain does not replace itself every 7 years, but it can heal itself)

So just self replicating machines?

You can't. Only way to cheat entropy would be to create an escape hatch out of this universe.

2/2

Now comes the tricky part, in which a autosentience(total self awarness) is required.

Mind Outsourcing is when the subject saves their mentality and memory storage to external substrates which were separate from the subjects's own brain, until finally al of the sophont's thoughts, perceptions, memories, identity, etc. take place outside and away from the mass of grey matter the sophont initially came equipped with. You have become a digital entity This will probably require decades or even centuries because you have to fully understand yourself for such task.

This of course requires, that autosentience doesn't lead to catatonia.

It makes me a little sad to think about some distant descendant watching the last star wink out, and waiting for it's reserve power to go out, then the last self organising complex beings huddling together in the darkness waiting not just for death, but perfect Oblivion, where they won't even be able to recombinate into life, or anything, as the atoms of their computers dissipate into radiation. Our super advanced future selves if we ever make it there have the worst fate.

>Mfw this thread kept me up last night

We get little girls to sign contracts to fight monsters and harvest the energy released when they turn into witches, duh.

>Fly through the dying cosmos at 99.9...light speed
Time dilation has made time stand virtually still for you.
>Not many wonky gravitational anomalies in such an even universe
>Statistically the universe will either spawn new big bangs or return to a lower entropy state after a really long fucking time.
>But you're in stasis whizzing around at incredible hihg speed.
>ship traverses the void until things are more suitable.

Alternately
>humans master quantum gravity enough to enter black holes.
>Enter, no other options
>fall into eternal black hole
>never reach the singularity
>time dialates exponentially
>thoughts slowly take longer to process (not that you would notice)
>Humanity in limbo forever

so explain what you're talking about. how does entropy or the second law or whatever clean away random noise in any kind of universe.

Negative mass

In a universe without entropy, the universe would have to be full off very hot patches and cold patches. Getting the climate on earth to calm down wont happened. There is no longer anything driving everything toward equilibrium.

Something as subtle as life would be drowned out by other gatherings of mass that will self assemble, and stay that way because there is nothing to break it down. Reproduction no longer has any benefit. And without reproduction, the complexity of these masses is only decided by the chance of that shape and function spontaneously combining.

So there would be a ton of super simple forms of organic matter.

Or huge masses of self assembled biomatter that becomes bigger and weirder until it gets so big that it starts to fuse.

Sort yourself out, bucko.

There's no way we can defeat something we don't fully understand

top kek

We understand entropy very well, and have for a long time. There is nothing mystical about it.

I don't think the universe would be like that. The second law of thermodynamics is only a statistical description. Proposing a universe without the second law is almost a contradiction in itself. I dont think you'd even have a universe almost. No energy.

A universe without entropy is what the whole thread is about, and what this discussion is about. If it could exist or not is a another discussion.

We dont

>I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice.

Humans would probably exist in giant colony ships which make use of ultra efficient fusion or fission power generators with enough fuel to run for multiple millenia. Their bodies would be kept alive by artificial means while their minds would exist in a matrix like simulation. Life would go on like this until the ships ran out of fuel. I'm just daydreaming here

But my point is that a universe without entropy wouldn't make sense... is fundamentally unimagineable.

And actually the thread isn't about the universe not having a second law. Its about nullifying it.

We already have refrigerators if you are talking about nullifying it locally.

I loved asimov in high school.

well we already have biological life. To an extent (and don't quote me), you could say the same for a hurricane - that is until it ventures onto land and loses its food source. Its OPs question not mine! Tbh, i dont think the question makes too much sense like i said to the other guy but ive been interested in entropy.

Is he asking (pretty much) can we fight against death?

On the hurricane thing - but then again, we can starve too.

Abject nonsense. The creatures that exist in a trillion years time will be more machine than organic, they'll live in space because they won't need to breath.

Isn't entropy probabilistic at a quantum level?
So there "is" a way to reverse entropy

And to the people saying "open it" well, wouldn't entropy just re-adjust? You're not eliminating or diminishing it, just spreading it.

open what?

Sorry.
Open system.
Since Entropy can only increase in an isolated system. But opening it would only make a "bigger" isolated system, unless we get to multidimensional shit. And even then we wouldn't know.

We already do by being alive. Since we are conscious "demons", we can literally do exactly what the demon did in Maxwell's paradox.

My post specifically says humans. Nothing says humans won't be around in a trillion years. Besides.. I'd rather be living in a dream workd than floating around in space.. what is there to do in space anyway.. Nothing... your post is retarded

It really only appears like a problem if you choose to conceptualize an arrow of time pointing from past to future, so just stop doing that.

>we are conscious "demons"
>we can literally do exactly what the demon did in Maxwell's paradox