Climate Change

I was told you guys are experts on this topic so here goes. Okay Veeky Forums, do humans have a part in climate change or not? People tell me humans are responsible, while others say that it's natural, and other people say it's a bit of both. What's Veeky Forums's consensus?

Other urls found in this thread:

skepticalscience.com/argument.php
xkcd.com/1732/
miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172080587.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Veeky Forums's consensus is that there isn't one.

Both but not proportionally
/pol/ post

Why is it hard to believe that pumping CO2 into the air causes global warming via the greenhouse effect, which is a well documented phenomena? Anyone who denies global warming is man-made either has ulterior motives or thinks he is fighting the good fight against liberals.

I'm not /pol/. I'm just saying that every time climate change is brought up in this board, 5 different posters create a fierce argument of 200 posts. Hence, the only consensus is that there isn't one. Personally, I think that, considering climate change to be a natural part of Earth's planetary dynamics that happens every few thousand years. A major climate shift would happen sooner or later, so why bother wasting effort trying to delay something we all know is inevitable?

What's the actual science behind climatology? How do they measure this sort of stuff, and how do I know if climate change is real or not?

Bump? Genuinely curious

Fyi very much venting, climate change and human caused global warming is already effecting and killing people today. If you look at graphs such as the famous hocky stick graph, global tempature charts over the past 150 years and ocean temp graphs, you WILL see a corrilation with high concentrations of CO2 being released into the atmosphere during the industrial revolution and all up through the 21st century. The misleading aspect of the corrilation is the delay in effect. The climate is just now changing dramatically, but as the tempature increases,feedback loops get established. One example is the methane releace in the arctic, tldr of this is as the air gets warmer, decomposing matter releaces methane, which is an even more powerfull greenhouse gas. This gas heats the atmosphere more and releases more gas.

Another one i just learned about is the possible geological desabilization of the antarctic. Antartica is home to many of the worlds currently dormant volcanoes, they are dormant because adequate pressure and tempature keeps them from erupting. If the acrtic ice shelf melts significantly and removes pressure from these volcanoes we could see a major eruption. On top of thats, one major geological disturbance can set off many more if the conditions allow for it. So... One could assume that if the antarctic volcanoes became unstable and erupted, it could cause other volcanoes that are unstable, like the yellowstone national park super volcano, to erupt as well. This would blanket half of the U.S. in toxic ash and block out the sun for decades preventing any food growth and leading to global starvation and massive famine and possibly major nuclear war between desprate countries like NK or india or pakistan or Iran.

Even without the super volcano threat, famine and mass starvation leading to possible nuclear conflict and the end of life as we know it is inevitable at this point. I am currently doing everytjing in my power to ensure a comfortable life until my life ia no longer possible. Climate change is an existential threat,like death, ever present, constantly moving closer, but never near enough to even fully grasp its true meaning or impact upon us. This keeps me up at night venting in message boards like this. The best thing you can do is hope a solution is found, and prepare you and your family a comfortable live until the collapse, in which case, a comfortable peaceful death would be nice, rather than living in cormac McCarthy's "THE ROAD"

>Personally, I think that, considering climate change to be a natural part of Earth's planetary dynamics that happens every few thousand years. A major climate shift would happen sooner or later, so why bother wasting effort trying to delay something we all know is inevitable?

its not whats happening that people care about, its what you are asking them to do about it.

Actually it's both, you retarded sophist.

>I'm not /pol/. I'm just saying that we should take obvious /pol/tards opinions on climatology seriously.
Okay then.

>copypasta question and pic

fuck off back to

skepticalscience.com/argument.php

>I was told you guys are experts on this topic
AHAHAHAHAHAHHA

The answer to stopping climate change is nuclear power. But no one wants to hear that

I have the feeling people start these threads because they know it'll turn into a shitstorm

Yes human's are influencing climate change. Yes we should try to reduce our impact. No the hurricanes hitting the US are not a result of climate change. That's just called climate.

this and lower factory farming. we know CO2 is bad for the earth but methane is even worse.

imgs.xkcd.com/comics/earth_temperature_timeline.png

>No the hurricanes hitting the US are not a result of climate change.
You forgot: But the intensity might be higher because of climate change, and as the oceans heat up there will be more (and bigger) hurricances

Is it bad that I expected Veeky Forums to have Climate Change denialists?

No, it's just realistic, since 50% of the posters on this board here believe in /pol/ology

Well if we weren't so retarded and nurtured by greedy corporations who consume our time, resources, and interest then maybe we could figure out different and abstract ways of dealing with these issues in the world today.

>
yes and no, climate changes happens natural all the time, over 20000 years ago there was an ice age, that disapeard due to climate changes. but now they are heppening at much faster rate than before, and that caused by us humans

xkcd.com/1732/

The problem is not only CO2 release. It's deforestation, massive surface erosion, massive biomass dumping and shitty, profit-oriented farming - both meat and vegetables. The solution is increasing our technological efficiency, massively reducing consumption (both food and goods) and actually recycling. Also, fusion or other high-density power generation methods with a minimal volume of waste and minimal risk of environmental impact - so basically, we're all fucked. Instead of all that we'll continue to boil until we all die comfortably in our own juices.

Some people say that the gases we pour into the atmosphere is not nearly enough to produce that effect.

I don't support that, just explaining their point.

There is no proof for humans causing climate change.

Yes, Fossil Fuels is what caused the Destabilization of the Earth's Climate; and Yes, all Climate Change Deniers are Shills for the Fossil Fuels Industry.

In the simplest terms imaginable, the scientific consensus is that there's something like a 99.8% likelihood that people are causing climate change. And since there's a 100% chance that in the event of said climate change, things will get fucked up in all manner of ways due to runaway greenhouse effects, the socioeconomical impact of massive weather imbalances, drought, massive waves of refugees, war, etc, it's only reasonable as shit to do something about it.

Sure, it's true that there are people and organizations who can make a lot of money in that, but you can literally take any subject at all and people will be making money off of that. That's because our societies are capitalistic, there's fucking *always* money involved. Somehow people seem to forget that and just go "well I'm not gonna believe in no climate change cuz at least the people who skip filtration systems, go for fossil fuels and pollute the oceans are doing it for the cause, not the money!" Like, what the actual fuck?

Besides which, it's already been proven countless times over that renewables are the economic AND healthy choice for the future. The fact that within the last year solar power production, maintenance, the whole shebang just got cheaper than any alternative fossil fuel - which is why there's a massive investment in it in India - is just one of the thousands of proofs for that.

The largest obstacles are the Fossil Fuel Giants that does everything in their own powers prevent any course of action in order to protect their wealth and Industries.

Both. Anyone who is telling you differently is a politically motivated retard and should have their moronic neck snapped.

Humans are responsible.

> global warming is a problem
> volcanoes will block out the sun
problem solved!

and all the clouds from the hurricanes have a cooling effect...

> tfw the lower atmospheres is a closed system

so what? the planet is still cooler than the historical average.

>>>> back to /x/
big $$$$ can afford to put money in BOTH fossil as a stable investment an renewable as a growth investment. diversify your bonds nigga

Fuck you; they have United States Government by the Balls thanks to the Koch Bros.

>the planet is still cooler than the historical average.
So what?

There's 1 or 2 consistent shills in these threads that pop up every single time with the same arguments / same images that never change. Ever since the election Veeky Forums has been inundated with bored /pol/ crossposters who come here for whatever stupid reason they do, probably because science is "liberal" or some other bullshit perspective of theirs.

MOOOOOOO!

The graph is incorrectly labeled and actually ends in 1855. Why do you fags keep posting the same debunked meme graphs over and over again?

well duh. obvious falseflag

Climate change is a self defeating argument because nobody who is arguing about it have any way of changing it. It's a way for conglomerates who have already polluted well beyond any one of us to make us feel guilty for existing and pay taxes on it.

Why did the goals of the Paris Accord include further de-industrializing us while industrializing India and china. If all of a sudden OPEC and all of the other oil/coal/natural gas extracting operations halted, we ( the sheeple) would have no choice but to figure out a way of life without it.

I guarantee that every single one of these finger wagging talking heads and pompous celebrity demagogues throwing fucking blame down on us have life styles that pollute far beyond any of us and yet we're lead to believe it's all our fault.

>Climate change is a self defeating argument because nobody who is arguing about it have any way of changing it.
Limit greenhouse gas emissions.

Why do you keep lying? what is your endgame here?

I used to be pretty skeptical of AGW as a teenager, and enjoyed debating clueless "believers" that obviously didnt know the first thing about it, using some infos I was reading on some blogs.
Entering college I stopped thinking about it, until several years later when 2 friends had a heated argument about it, and I realised I didnt keep up and had nothing to add to the subject.
I decided to read up a bit arguments from the 2 sides, assured that I woulfd end up convinced that it was some way overblown meme.
It took me 2 weeks of mild back-and-forth reading to conclude that anyone not convinced AGW is real is either really fucking stupid or suffering from serious cognitive dissonance, and that rather that humbly accepting that you were wrongs and adapting your biais and political views, you just decided to ignore the problem altogether.
Just fucking grow up.

>Why do you keep lying? what is your endgame here?
To protect the Fossil Fuel Industry from regulation and competition.

So many shills holy shit

The scientists that produce the most widely circulated studies and journal articles are the very definition of paid s
disinfo shills, because they are literally on the payroll of various oil companies to deny climate change amd cover up for the companies whenever an oil spill occurs

I never knew Veeky Forums was this bad at debate

Why would you want to be "good at debate?" Debating is a game of sophistry.

Well, now you know.

Veeky Forums is made of:
-refuges from /g/ being over-literal about complex things
-pop-sci fans looking to be validated
-STEM freshmen atop mount stupid
-/pol/
-bad trolls playing devil's advocate poorly
-Templars from Veeky Forums trying to wage a holy war

greenland =/= global

>gib federal grant plx

That's because like most people, you misunderstand the meaning of the word.

Almost every person only ever argues, and then proceed to call that a debate. They continuously interrupt, belittle, insult, ignore, make straw man arguments etc. Basically, they don't even hide the fact that they do not respect you, they are not there to learn or to share, and that the conversation itself has really no purpose at all other than wasting time and giving an outlet to their childishness and stupidity.

The problem with real debating is that it takes two people. You can't do it with just one, when the other is clearly not interested in debating. And a true debate has two people each willing to share their information as well as learn something new, using their knowledge as a tool. Disregarding any public opinion, personally losing a real debate has no shame in it, because it should mean that you just learned something new. Your opponent had more knowledge and better proof than you did, so as a result you probably had to change your views. But it's entirely impersonal.

At the end of the day, talking is a usually an incredibly useless tool. People imagine they can share information, feelings, experience etc. by talking, but more often than not the stupid audience isn't ready or even at all interested in any of that. They just want to hear themselves talk.

Since when did xkcd become accepted here?

There's another thread still open, besides that, it is much more catastrophic to forbid people to use natural resources.

Pic realated, how much grown up people care about climate hoax.

no one cares what you think

To unite all republicans within our nation.

to denounce the evils of taxes and gov

To proclaim small government but extend our military's budget to the stars above

Taxes are good though. America was at its peak when the tax rate was comically high.

miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172080587.html

You. I like you.