Do animals have the capacity to lie?

Do animals have the capacity to lie?

The ones that do, would it mean they have some sort of self, even consciousness?

Other urls found in this thread:

psychologytoday.com/blog/the-moral-lives-animals/201112/those-lying-apes
naturalnews.com/038743_primates_liars_gorilla.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Everything with a brain is consious you moron. Sapient or sentient is what I believe you are looking for. Some dogs have the approximate mental capacity of a 5 year old and im sure there's evidence somewhere of them lying. Just because they lack the ability to speak doesnt mean they are thoughtless automata. Im willing to bet there are dolphins and orcas out there that are smarter than most humans.

all animals?
absolutely not

close human relatives?
maybe, but i doubt it.

turns out, i was wrong.
it also turns out you could have just fucking google'd your question
psychologytoday.com/blog/the-moral-lives-animals/201112/those-lying-apes

>Everything with a brain is consious you moron
Never drank too much alcohol before?

I have a similar question. Do animals use swear words?

For instance, if a dog is talking to another dog, and says "I saw that fucking squirrel again today." From our perspective we'd only hear "bark bark bark bark bark", but can linguists tell exactly which bark would be the word "fucking"?

Just because you lack memory of an event doesnt mean you weren't consious during that event.

>Just because you lack memory of an event doesnt mean you weren't consious during that event.
But that's not all that alcohol does

>It's another one of those threads where fags argue semantics

No, you need a symbolic language and a syntax to lie. A dog can tuck its tail and hide its fear hormones but I don't consider that lying

i saw this documentary video on youtube. it showed a group of monkeys in a troupe finding a big bunch of food. A lower status male made a call of danger when there was none and then when all the others ran, went and ate food unchallenged.

No because dogs aren't capable of communicating with that level of complexity. A dog would never bark out "I saw that fucking squirrel again today." because he would never have that thought in the first place.

Is that really a lie though? When I'm in public and there's too many people close to me, I'll let out a weird yell/howl and shake my arms for a few seconds so they take a few steps away from me. Works well at vending machines as they move out of the way and let me go first. It's hardly a lie, just a human survival technique.

Some animals do. Sometimes roosters make food sounds to make hens show up and then the roosters fuck the hens

the cheeky cunt

Yes. It's literally happened before.
You may be familiar with Koko, the gorilla that was taught sign language.
At one point it tore a sink or something out of the wall, and when questioned about it, said that "the cat did it" in reference to a small kitten it kept as a pet.
If you want a source, here's a new article that makes reference to it:
naturalnews.com/038743_primates_liars_gorilla.html
If you (understandably) don't trust the site, you can google "Koko the Gorilla, cat did it" and find many sources for the anecdote.

Some birds can lie. They pretend to hide food if they know they are being watched.

Most social animals have the capacity to actively deceive to try and get their way.

My dog lies. If he takes a dump he gets a treat, so when he comes in he will ask for one even if he knows he didn't. If I say no, I watched you and you didn't go, he gives up really fast because he is relativey aware

yes those scrub jays!

What about chickens?

Has the chicken language even been deciphered yet?

Pigs can.

This is different though because the monkey let out a call which specifically signals predators. It was false communication to fulfil his needs. its no different than many lies that little kids tell and alot of us older ones still tell lies like that to get what we want.

Also for a monkey to do what you described, it risks being ostracized from the group; especially low status males.

my dog loves classical music, so maybe