"Hunger" by Knut Hamsun

What's the general mood of this book? What is the author's attitude? Is it dark, humorous, or maybe a combination?

hungry

My translation made it seem darkly humorous.

Do you know which one that is?

I have Dover's George Egerton version and it's honestly one of the funniest book I've ever read.

Thing is, I'm not sure if this is the result of translation or if Hamsun is supposed to be funny (in a very dark, kafkaesque (excuse the word) manner)

Penguin

Your post sounds like you're trying to make people do your homework.

It's bleak, and the protagonist(who is also arguably the author, as it's supposed to be semi-autobiographical) has a level of dedication to societal rules and norms that actively destroys him. It makes for a sad, funny and somewhat facepalm inducing feeling, as your outside perspective allows you to see how foolish he's being.

>Your post sounds like you're trying to make people do your homework.

i thought that was what this board was for?

In norwegian it is kinda humorous, not that dark at all desu

Ok, thanks. And I'm not using this for any homework; I just like to learn things about the books I read for pleasure beforehand.

it's funny as fuck in norwegian

It's bleak af. It's very Dostoevski's "Crime and Punishment".

I disagree. I don't think the protagonist is facepalm-inducing, I don't think he's necessarily being foolish. He's a man of extreme integrity, to the point of suffering immensely for it. I think it's very honorable.

>It's bleak af. It's very Dostoevski's "Crime and Punishment".
This. The book reminds me of the first chapters were Raskolnikov is looking for some moneys, the two books are very very close.

Hamsun's later work simply isn't as good as the early stuff he wrote when he was young and hungry.

It's really hilarious when he obsesses over that paper hat or w/e

It made me laugh a lot...not sure if it was meant to. The cover described it as "one of the most disturbing novels ever written.....it made Paul auster pee his pants".

I found notes from the underground funny too.

If you want some real Norwegian feel, read "Human and Powers" (Menneske og maktene) by Olav Duun, if it exists in English translation(I have no idea, as I am Norwegian). "Hunger" is truly a crap book

Also , I just realised the book is called "Floodtide of Fate" in English, sorry for that folks

>tfw too middle class to achieve a poverty-aesthetic life

Take that back, August and on Overgrown Paths are goat

Ylajali!

That's fair. I find the integrity to be annoying, but I can definitely see how one might find it honorable.

Can confirm this