What is the science in Computer Science?

What is the science in Computer Science?

it's a misnomer like jellyfish

Is it because they aren't fish or aren't jelly?

I think its because you could become some random Computer Technician though your community college and your degree would say "computer science"

Computer science is a formal science, like mathematics, rather than an empirical science like chemistry, biology, etc.

cdr(computer science)

Computer science is learning the language that is used, and solving the problems that accures in software.
By having this skills you can make more efficient software.
Because science is in depth knowledge, computer science is science.
And problem solving has algorithms.

"science" just means a body of knowledge. These days it is also used to indicate the scientific method and all bodies of knowledge that use the scientific method.

if comp sci isnt sci, then neither is math, then physics etc is based on some unscientific shit hey

>It's not based on science therefore it's wrong
Empiricists never fail to amuse me.

The actual thing that should be called computer science would more accurately be called computational mathematics.

>then neither is math
yeah, there is a reason this board is defined as
"Veeky Forums - Science & Math"

Underlying nature of computational machinery in the universe, and any associated algorithms. Algorithms for a given task are usually sufficiently general to apply cleanly to any computational system... I wonder why that is? Perhaps because computer science unravels, dare I say it, laws? Roughly speaking of course.

Whether you're a human or a computer, completing a task requires the means to do so. You find that the underlying functional means is usually very similar. But with certainty, finite.

(cdr '(computer science))

>Computer science is learning the language that is used, and solving the problems that accures in software
that's not computer science faggot, that's software engineering, CS is math

Unless you're doing ground-breaking high-level shit like trying to prove the P vs. NP problem, or super low-level shit like OSdev / working with engineers to try and develop an optimal shader for their new GPU, CS is a brainlet field.

>CS is a brainlet field
This is spouted all the time on Veeky Forums but nobody ever explains why they believe it. Because of this, you can't have discussions about computer science here without undergraduates REEEEing about "muh brainlets."

Yeah I wish it wasn't meme'd as hard. You do have to be able to visualize abstract concepts well, and think about things before implementing them.

I feel like the advent of high-level languages and the exponential advances in RAM size and CPU speed has made people retarded and spew "Hurr the compiler will just like optimize that" and "Processors are like so fast now it doesn't even matter." That's kinda why I think embedded and real-time systems programming is cool, because the limited resources you have means you actually have to think about what you're doing.

>embedded and real-time systems
compE here.

CSfags cannot into embedded systems

the problem with CS is that
1. there is so much variability between schools
2. lots of CS shit isn't even really CS. Take a look at "human computer interaction". that should be taught in sociology departments
3. they cannot into hardware
4. plenty of CS degrees are BAs, not BSs, so they have watered down gen eds
5. most CSfags just want to do web dev, iphone apps, make guis and other bullshit where they are basically glorified tradesmen

Is it easy to go from SoftE (mostly C, numerical analysis and regular language theory) to CompE?

>CSfags cannot into embedded systems
>1. there is so much variability between schools
You are contradicting yourself there.

you could do it with like 5 extra classes

most of them don't into embedded systems and if they do it's just how to program them, not how to design them

what does anything you've listed got to do with cs as a field though

>5 extra classes
Namely?

i feel like it's self explanatory

something like this

digital logic/digital design
microprocessors
digital integrated circuits / VLSI
embedded systems
computer architecture

but really you should go for masters at a decent compE school if you want a real compE job

Don't call Mathematics science no matter what qualifiers you preprend to it. Mathematics predates science. It doesn't follow scientific principals. It's not science in any way. It's like calling Plato Christian just because his concepts lent themselves well to Christian epistemology.

you've just described different programs and students. that's not talking about cs as a field

unless you're just here to rant about how much brainlets cs students are, in which more power to you

Wow no one posted this yet.

>CS is a brainlet field
Why do people think this? If it was really that ez we would have had computers and algorithms for them long ago.

People think this because there are a lot of shitty low-end programming trade schools that call themselves "computer science", and they get away with it because there is no real curriculum standardization in the field yet. So a "computer science" degree means fuck all without further qualification. And because we are on Veeky Forums, people somehow interpret that as meaning that the field itself means fuck all.

CS is not about computers

well said

Because over the time was formed a misdirected vision of computer science only to programming and making gayms. What most people can't see is that CS and math overlap on some pretty big areas. Graph theory being one of them, the study of abstractions that make up the whole field of discrete math.

Basically, CS became a "programming course" in the eyes of people.