Math as viewed by a highschooler

This is what you see as a highschooler when doing math, the ladder is however slippery and it's easy to fall, also there's a teacher telling you to memorize everything and shakes the ladder so you can fall easily

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_algebra
Veeky
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There's no such thing as "quantum algebra". It's just bunch of complex numbers in Hilbert space. Also, abstract algebra is pretty basic stuff, it's on par with first linear algebra courses.

>also there's a teacher telling you to memorize everything and shakes the ladder so you can fall easily

He's trying to rescue you from a lifetime of isolated geek misery.

How do I become a mathematical super genius, Veeky Forums? I want to know all the advanced math.

>download textbook
>read textbook
>do problems

You now know math.

you are born to late in time for that. What I do: I learn some category theory and apply it to shit I find interesting. That is quite abstract and opens the door into much of advanced math if required. Calculus not so much tho, but what has calculus every done for me?

you could just as well count Kan extension etc. as abstract algebra and then the entry barrier is relatively high.
And there's also quantum ground and q-deformations and all that stuff, and even the Hilbert space business can be infinitely complicated if you want it too. Only undergrad QM and quantum optics works with C^n

It doesn't matter if its real or not, the picture is from a highschoolers point of view and quantum algebra sounds cool

>Elitpic curves
Add a 'proofreading' step on the ladder OP, you need it.

>tfw biology fag
How to ascend?

Kill yourself

>There's no such thing as "quantum algebra". It's just bunch of complex numbers in Hilbert space.
But that's not what quantum algebra is at all...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_algebra

non-USfag here, what do calculus 1, 2 and 3 each entail?

1 = differential
2 = integral
3 = multivariable

ah... really? are they taken in seperate years, or semesters or whatever.
like, do you take Calc1 and then the year after take Calc2?

separate semester

so first year you take calc 1 and calc 2
second year starts with calc 3

I'm a math major that just finished calc 2 without too much trouble, how much harder does it get? I'm worried I'm gonna be out of my league.

I don't think that'll improve my mathematics?

truth, teachers unions intentionally obfuscate math for various reasons

1: stretch the syllabus out over a year
2: make it look like they are busy
3: make something easy look difficult
4: create more "work" for themselves without increasing the workload
5: no need to come up with and follow efficient effective teaching methods
6: no need for many qualifications or much intelligence
7: they can push harebrained schemes like common core
8: lower standards to a bare minimum so poor performing teachers don't stand out

this is why China and other countries are surging ahead

desu calc 2 and calc 3 were the hardest classes i took in undergrad. but i'm bad at algebra and clicked better at abstract courses, so you might have trouble with something like 1st semester analysis if you are the other way around

>> common core
Actually teachers unions hate this, brcause it offers a way to figure out who is underperforming.

>>China
No, if we really want to teach math we should do it however the former soviet states teach it. They all kick ass at math

Friendly reminder that studying something for the sake of it is a surefire way into unemployment and misery.

Seriously guys, if you don't have a clearcut goal for which you need a degree or specific knowledge, DONT DO IT.

Clearcut paths:
> daddy owning a factory and may only hire with X degree
> government hands free gibs for Y degree for a lifetime
> new company which will hire in Z years
> Need knowledge for solving K problem

Other than that, most of the knowledge you get from school is close to irrelevant. It is fun studying and understanding things, but you are really bargaining on your future.

Of course many will think "not me, I'm the next Tesla". That's what I thought aswell, newsflash, I'm not.

> government hands free gibs for Y degree for a lifetime

Government hands free gibs to many mathematicians.

>X,Y,Z,K
Yeah, don't listen to this guy

The only people who don't like common core are hicks who don't understand mathematics.

>muh practical applications
>muh "useless" knowledge
Maybe one day you will become enlightened.

Brainlet.

>Study engineering for the sake of having an engineering degree
>get a job with said engineering degree

>download textbook
Which ones? From where?

Calc 3 is essentially just calc 1 but with another spacial dimension. Theres other added shit onto it, but I found it insultingly easy for supposedly being the hardest of all lower level calc classes. I thought calc 2 was the hardest imo

>Which
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Math_Textbook_Recommendations
>Where
libgen

cant hurt it either

so if I wanna work in the energy field, mainly renewable energy, is chemical engineering degree the wrong one?

Depends on what type of job you would like to do and your employer. If you want to develop new stuff, PhD is propably the right way.

I guess I'm more nervous for more abstract math. I've really enjoyed everything so far because every algebra problem feels like a little puzzle that I can figure out. I'm worried that when it gets abstract I'll lose some of the enjoyment and the difficulty will ramp up.

this

all through high school, I thought just listening to my teachers was enough to learn math. I always got straight As in math, but I never felt like I really understood what i was doing.

Once I started reading mathematics books on my own my level of understanding jumped considerably. If I forget a formula, I could probably derive it on the spot if I needed to, because now I understood the concepts I was working with

He's raising his decorative plumage to signal to other physicists that he's ready to mate.

I wish I could help you out, but I took math in America so I didn't have to worry about learning anything or figuring anything out. They let us use the internet on the exams and homework, if that gives you any idea of how little they gave a shit.

user, many have inquired that the future will need and prosper off of mathematicians and physicists.

Of course it will, killing yourself means that you have no ability to learn.

Lmao I'm in America too, wish they let us do that in my uni.

Why did you even reply?

To let them know that I cannot help them further, rather than just leave them hanging.
Why did you reply?

To let you know that I didn't think your comment was useful. Why did you reply?

lol

>Faggots who never read the sticky.
Leave.

You can learn in hell.

kek make me gayboi

Read the fucking sticky.

You first

I have you dicklefuck, that's why I know about the reading lists.

Do it again then.

How about you do it for the first time?

I actually have, I'm not the guy you were replying to earlier lmao.

You're such a (you) tease.

>logic and set theory are "basic"
Spotted the retarded fuck who thinks he knows set theory and logic because he took intro to math class. It's like putting number theory on to bottom just because you know the algorithm for addition you fucking retarded brainlet

My Peking order is as follows going from middle school to college (for me as an EE major)
>Pre Algebra
>Algebra 1
>Geometry
>Algebra 2
>Pre Calculus
>AP Calculus AB/Calculus 1
>AP Calculus BC/Calculus 2
>Calculus 3/Multivariable Calculus
>Calculus 4/Differential Equations
>Linear Algebra
>Statistics
>Discreet Mathematics
>Advanced Differential Equations
>Partial Differential Equations

The ladder theory holds true in most cases. The huge exceptions are high school geometry and algebra 2. I have yet to use anything from those classes in more advanced ones. Calculus 1 is very essential for everything beyond that, while Calculus 2 has extremely limited use, with integration by parts being the only useful thing, albeit very minor. Everything else though is very good to know.