I'm fascinated by the world and I want to learn as much about it as I can. Art, philosophy, politics, economics...

I'm fascinated by the world and I want to learn as much about it as I can. Art, philosophy, politics, economics, social movements.. you name it.

However, I'm daunted by the sheer number of subjects to study, works to read, and authorial biases to consider. Specialization, not generalization, rules the day, and that's fine, but I want to learn about everything.

How does one do that?

I've had some ideas. I fantasize about launching ambitious reading projects, like methodically reading Bloom's canon or the St. John's syllabus, but I fear that I would never reach the end, which would be frustrating because I'm impatient to learn about the contemporary world. I also consider using Wikipedia to read summaries of major ideas, events, and movements, but even that project might become a frustrating mess without a good enough plan. Then there's the idea of creating my own syllabus of survey texts--an idea that I like--but I've struggled to identify the appropriate texts (although I did just read Ancient Greece: A Political, Social, and Cultural History which was pretty apt). None of these approaches seem quite right.

Maybe I should just spurn chronology and context and dive into interesting subjects with reckless abandon?

Anyway, I'm very curious if there are other people here that have tried or are trying to self-teach themselves about the world and the forces that shape it. What's worked for your? What hasn't? Do you have any general advice about this kind of life-long learning project, or specifically how to balance breadth and depth? Specific recommendations of readings lists, online courses, or individual texts or authors?

I welcome your insights!

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/books/comments/5i8pes/i_became_an_avid_reader_like_three_months_ago_and/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>How does one do that?
>What's worked for your?

Well.. ok then.

A year a go I started seriously reading, and while I've come a long way and am very happy with my progress I still have a long way to do. There's nothing you can do but read, start immediately and don't stop until you're dead. You'll never understand everything as deeply as you want to, but such is life. It's incredibly rewarding to study something you're passionate about, but you absolutely need the dedication. You'll get discouraged at times, and your pace may slow to an agonizing pace, but you just have to go on.

I've found it very helpful to read as comprehensively as I can. I may not be as far as I could be if I had skipped a few cursory works, but I have a much better understanding than if I just flew ahead. You really should start with the greeks, which contain some of the earliest extant works of the western canon and are the foundations of western society. Then just continue chronologically to the romans, medieval period, renaissance, and modernity. You can obviously slip in some modern books in your reading from the get go, and you should intersperse lighter works among the heavier one.

Good luck OP, but I can't emphasize how much you need to dedicate yourself

Don't worry, user. Everybody' has a finite lifetime. It's not about having read something and then being a smartass about it. It's about deeply understanding and feeling every single word. Enjoy it.

Cartoon History of the Universe is a good starting point.

>Then there's the idea of creating my own syllabus of survey texts--an idea that I like--but I've struggled to identify the appropriate texts
I do this and recommend the method.

read this

seriously

The most important thing is to make sure that your intentions are sincere. To learn is difficult, tedious, disappointing and often depressing. Nothing but true love of wisdom will take you far.

You will come up against walls that will block your way, and to break them down, you need to fundamentally change yourself. Be truly dedicated and sincere, and you will gather as much knowledge as a human possibly can.

Study every day. Set aside time for yourself, be it 1 or 2 hours where you do nothing but read and learn. Focus on what you are doing and try to understand. Develop the skills of a good reader.

Read absolutely everything. Philosophy, fiction, fantasy, history, science, I say read contemporary YA novels even. You need to be a voracious reader. Be critical, but open minded.

It's a lifelong journey. It'll be tough, but you can do it if you change yourself. Just remember that the more you know, the more you don't know. But it is not futile. Good luck!

Also check this one my chums.
reddit.com/r/books/comments/5i8pes/i_became_an_avid_reader_like_three_months_ago_and/

>Develop the skills of a good reader.
How does one develop them?

By practice. A good reader is someone who can properly analyze a text, and then form a critical opinion on it. The days of skimming light fiction are behind you. Read to truly understand, and then evaluate.

This essay by Nabokov is helpful.
www.en.utexas.edu/amlit/amlitprivate/scans/goodre.html

Literally nothing you've listed has to do with 'the world'.

Stupid ideologue.

>I'm fascinated by the world and I want to learn as much about it as I can. Art, philosophy, politics, economics, social movements.. you name it.

OP I adore you.

I think it's the best Veeky Forums post I have ever read. Salute to you, user. I will try my best.

>I'm fascinated by the world
>I want to learn
>I'm daunted
>How does ((((((((((((one)))))))))) do that
>there's this and that idea
>I'm fascinated
>very curious individual right here
>did you know there's this idea but of course i dont think its a good idea desu xd
>doesnt seem quite right desu xd
>*sigh*
>fucking. fascinated .
Hahahhahaaha no you're not and you know this you anal pained pharisee you're the epitome of a hypocrite in the original sense GOD GIVE ME THE STRENGTH how to even share this board with you?? you're nothing like me you're "daunted" and know about "ideas" brb been reading wikis like a cuck daily for hours since 6th grade you motherfucker I'm not "fascinated" by the world, what kind of inane crap is that even? meanwhile you're here huffing and puffing with absolutely no background, no genuine desire, only anal pained armchair speculation and you call this a """fascination"""? Fuck out of here you literal hypocrite making me sick STOP PRETENDING & DELTE YOURSELF motherfucker

>Hahahhahaaha

enjoy your inauthentic dasein dweeb

Quality post

You'll never even come close to knowing everything about any of those subjects. Generalisation won't make you interesting to talk to, as you won't actually have any real understanding as to what you're talking about. Do some further reading then focus on topics you are actually fascinated with, it's much healthier.

get in line faggot self help books sounds more your level

Take care of the minutes and the years will take care of itself.

Goethe has a line which reads: Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words.

If you can do that every day, the whole project will naturally pick up steam. The more time you spend reading, the more time you will want to spend reading.

It's less so of the where, what, and when, but of the 'that you do'.