Hey sci

Hey sci

I'm really curious about some of the algebra behind ODE's and other seemingly-separate areas of math. For example, I always thought it was kind of arbitrary that, for an n-th order linear homogeneous ODE, the solution space is generated a linear combination of n linearly independent functions.

I'm not much of an algebraist, or whatever the proper term is, but I'd like to start looking into that side of things. I've only read the first few chapters of Artin -- would that text elaborate on some of these issues? Would Pinter suffice? I'm looking for something I could hopefully get through somewhat quickly, if possible.

Thanks in advance

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophus_Lie
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Samefag, I'd also like to know why we are able to assume

u_1'(x)*y_1(x) + u_2'(x)*y_2(x) = 0 in the parameter variation algorithm.

Anybody???

>I've only read the first few chapters of Artin
emil artin or michael artin?

inb4 michael-babby-algebra-martin

also your picture makes me angry. ALL groups of order 2 are isomorphic. there is fucking only one group of order p (prime)

Yeah, Michael Artin. And the pic is just for lulz.

Also, did sylow or langrage first discover that all groups of order p were isomorphic? just curious, if you know off the top of your head

its a direct consequence of lagrange's theorem by taking for any a =/=1, so probably him

fyi Lie came up with Lie groups to express continuous rewritings of differential equations.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophus_Lie

Thanks senpai, I'll look into it

I'd take a look at Galois Theory of Linear Differential Equations by Put and Singer. You can find it on libgen. The first chapter is pretty easy to read (barring a few things, but you should be able to understand most of it if you've gone through Artin). If you want a more focused expository paper with examples, but few proofs, you could look for "A First Look at Differential Algebra" by Hubbard and Lundell.

Splendid!

Actually, math is not about beating anyone. Terence Tao said in his blog that mathematics needs all the good people it can get, it is not a competition.

You're not going to get a good answer if you just post one line of a derivation out of context.

Ironically people who see maths that way never make it. If you don't enjoy maths for the sake of maths, find another field. It's not a dick-measuring competition.

Yeah, I've had that image for a few years, and I thought it was funny... I'm not in it to compete, but it is really damn satisfying to understand the logic behind a major theorem and "ascend" to a higher power level -- whatever that means.

True. Let me post a few pics from the chapter -- bear with my crappy camera on my phone.

This was my primary question. Why does the original equation offer enough "wiggle room" to let u_1'(x)*y_1(x) + u_2'(x)*y_2(x) = 0???

To clarify, because it is assumed the equation is non-homogeneous, u_1(x) and u_2(x) were proven to not be constant.

>Differential Equations in 24 Hours
Oh my God...

lol what I'm reviewing for a modeling class. I'm just getting nitpicky about a line of algebra. great text senpai

It might be that I haven't had lunch yet, but I'm not really sure what it means by "wiggle room."
That looks like a genuinely horrible textbook.

professor on first day of intro to real analysis (math 350): you made a choice to take this class, its not required for any degree except mathematics, its not you vs me, its you and I vs the material.

That was the syllabus and he jumped str8 in after

That's a really fun way of putting it.