Taking notes and studying

How do you guys take notes?
What' the best way to take notes in you opinion?

I'm redoing the last year of high-school ( i'm 19 )
And i'm looking to go into med school later, any tips on how to be organized from the start?

If it's quite easy (like high school) - fuck notes, just do A LOT of exercises. If it's harder, like proofs and stuff, I don't know.

bumping

>redoing last year of high school
You're not gonna amount to anything, buddy. If you cant deal with wagecucking low tier jobs your whole life then look into good suicide methods.

>How do you guys take notes?
I don't.

>What' the best way to take notes in you opinion?
Not at all.

Why? High school teachers are generally fucking terrible (and college professors, for that matter(, so there is not good reason not to go back and relearn that shit the correct way.

>le edgy "I'm too smart for notes" meme
Every time I see someone not taking notes during lecture I know their a narcissistic smartass who will end up doing subpar in the class.

>shit on a person trying to learn and correct his mistakes
>on Veeky Forums

back to /r9k/ for your buddy.

I take notes like a person. Fuck Cornell Notes. How the fuck are you gonna write a proof with Cornell notes.

> he doesn't want to immerse himself in the lecture and instead distracts himself by writing down shit he should have already known.

You should already have a set of notes prepared before the lecture using your textbook.Anything new or interesting should be added to said notes but other than that theres no real need to copy everything down verbatim.

I write down whenever the prof says sth like "Interesting fact..." "This is a typical exam question". Per lecture, that normally between 10 - 150 words. I also scribble shit for not drifting of in boring episodes.

You're just narrow minded then.
I rarely take notes because I read all recommended material before the class and make notes while reading, when I come to lecture it's like repetition and some extra examples. That leaves me with taking notes only when teacher adds something new or something I didn't deem important while reading, which isn't often.

Nlt everyone learna the same. I take notse but I rarely use them or go through them for two reasons. My handwriting is god awful. I mean, it's seriously shit. Also, I prefer to reas from textbooks and multiple sources which can expand greatly fr what the professor said. I really only take notes because it helps me memorize and understand different things and if the professor is a cunt who uses their own weird definitions or concepts that aren't in any of the recommended texts. I generally end up in the top 10 of every class bruh.

I make summaries of units in 2 or maybe 3 pages after having learnt it , without referring the textbook, after writing it, I check from the textbook, if there's anything left I add it and save it for future reference, so only need to read this summary before the tet instead of reading the whole text, saves time and other resources too.

>the tet
*the test

>after learning has taken place
lol

relaxx

That's one way to learn. But some people can't afford to read up the material before classes, cause they got bitches to bone.

I never use my fucking notes. It's a meme now that we have google.

Only take notes when we are doing examples.
Maybe non example notes if they are helpful.

This, lol. Why bother learning anything when you can just look it up?

Retard. I mean that If I want to review something I can find any textbook in the internet read up, do some exercises/discuss whatever. Taking notes just puts stress on you and can hinder your learning process. I only take them in class because most professors don't follow a particular book so I can then look it up in the text.

Why take notes when my classmates will record the lecture, transcribe it then send the entire transcript to our class google groups email of which I am a member? Why even go to class at all? I don't take notes kiddo, the notes come to me.

There's nothing special about obsessive note taking. It stops me from actually paying attention and hurts my hand. Why on earth would anyone do that? The knowledge isn't running away kiddo. You have questions, discuss them later with the professor or TAs or classmates. Better than wasting time making crap ass notes.

If your test questions can be answered by googling you suck at this "fornulating qiestions" business

You sound autistic

>he can't simultaneously take notes and listen to something
>on Veeky Forums

Deal with it nerds. If you take notes you're an idiot. The fact I'm smart enough to take advantage of the work other people do doesn't make me "autistic", whatever you think that word means.

We don't get any script or Textbook at all so the way you have to take notes is basically frantically trying to keep up with the prof. You sit there, writing as fast as you can, shortening what can be shortened.

Without a script or textbook you can't prepare nor review any topics.
Ofc you can just use any textbook but that's often quite different from the lecture.

Do what we do and record the classes with your phone then transcribe them later. Be a leader and form a team with your closest friends to divide the work and enjoy the results.

You get the benefit of knowing exactly what your professors like and their bias regarding exam contents. If they make the exam questions themselves they will invariably pick questions they feel are important and the recording will give hints as to what those questions will be. Invaluable when you review before exams. Textbooks and treatises are excellent for actually learning the material, but grades are a game so play it.

What do you study and what year are you in?

Doesn't really matter what I do. It's the same in every single field. When I was green I used to be like you, taking notes, making an effort. Then I got a bad case of the law of diminishing returns and promptly said fuck it. I got better things to do than worry about all this academic crap that barely represents real world employment anyway. Now I get grades only slightly worse than my classmates but with huge amounts of the free time and a generous sleep schedule. When I look at people eating books and nearly killing themselves studying for weeks all for a 10% increase in grades... I feel sorry for them.

I have an exam this thursday. All the material needed to get things right is in my email right now. Since I paid attention in class I already have a solid base to work from when reviewing for the test. All I have to do is open the files and read every transcription to refresh my memory and I'm done. More than good enough.

>he doesn't [math]\LaTeX[/math] his notes during the lecture
LOL

meming aside, I'm curios if anyone does this. It should be possible, right?

>seriously thinks thats hard

It just seems like the kind of thing where you would run into errors that would take considerable time to fix, like your latex file failing to compile mid-lecture, because you fucked up a single ampersand somewhere in your matrix, which would ultimately make the whole thing kinda tedious and impractical.

t. a non-STEM major

Don't feed that retarded troll

top kek, do this in cs, physics or math you're fucked. Knowing the lecture shit is basic, you have to apply it and be fucking fast or else you won't pass the exam at my uni.
I've fucked 2 exams because I thought I will be faster in the exam because I have pressure but it doesn't work that way. The exams where you just write down what you have to know are easy.

>everything I don't like is trolling

pls

>you have to apply it and be fucking fast

Do the exercises. That's it. It's pretty much the universal rule with everything that involves math.

I usually write down what the lecturer puts on the blackboard except proofs of things I already know the proof of. I also make sketches of the lecturer themselves every other lecture.

I have to completely agree with this user. I made the mistake while taking a higher level calculus based physics course of trying to just read book, take notes, and do minimal homework.

You won't get buy doing just the minimal, you really need to do everything and hope you get a question on the test that feels familiar. I miss the hold days when you could get buy with just remembering things and regurgitating them on tests, lol.

I only take serious notes in class for non-science classes. Otherwise, it is better to just do all the exercises and read the material. Once I've done that, I'll make what I consider keystone exercises which are exercises that cover most of the material, tend to be the harder equations to solve, and are likely problems for tests and then study those.

So am I supposed to take notes during lecture or not?

Just listen to the teacher

These people taught this shit for the 20x time. Its scripted AF by now and the lecture slides are just 'bullet points' to cover.

agreed with this guy

how do you even fuck up your last year of high school? it's you have to try to be retarded or something

write stuff down, read it later, profit? there is no magic formula. anytime i saw someone using some tumblr note taking method i vomited on their face.

>UBC

I like UBC, especially the beautiful campus (and qt grills), but there is too much GPA inflation from the chinks and their money