Who else here learning other languages?

Who else here learning other languages?

I've been trying to teach myself some latin. Mostly reading, I don't see myself ever needing to use it in day to day language
Also the idea of me trying to engage in conversation with someone in Latin makes me feel nauseated.

What are you guys all learning?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Learn-Ancient-Greek-Latin-Language/dp/0715627589
youtube.com/watch?v=61Kk7VkoWbc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Don't start with Aeneid, or latin poetry in general, this shit will fuck you up. Read simple things like historical documents or The Bible

Learning Greek currently, I got
amazon.com/Learn-Ancient-Greek-Latin-Language/dp/0715627589

It's a really great book that introduces things wonderfully, especially for a language nothing like English. He does a good job of joking around a bit as well to keep things from getting dry and setting it down.

He made one for Latin as well, maybe you should check it out.

Don't worry, that image is what I hope to aspire to read, i'm just reading children's books in latin at the moment.

Cheers man, do you think buying a professionally compiled book is better than trying a scattered resource method online?

Jap cuz im a hopeless weeb.

I think I learn more through subconscious understanding than through direct lessons

after all, we all learn how to speak english without lessons

lessons are a refinement of what already exists within us

all languages exist within us

its a matter of "getting used to"

which means, the longer you subject any personal avatar to a certain modality of sound, it has no option other than to adopt to it

this is the real meaning of learning

subsistence

I'm learning French, not a hard task given my first language is Portuguese. All too similar.

I'm plan on learning German and Romanian in the future too.

>after all, we all learn how to speak english without lessons

That's not true at all. You get like 14 years of English in school.

I taught myself a lot of Latin as a kid, because I found very basic and comprehensive Latin books in my home but I forgot all of it. Learned French in high school and hated it.
I've really stuck with Japanese for four years and now I've been studying Chinese for a year which I never liked but I've become really good at it for some reason. In a couple years, I plan to start learning either Korean, Russian, or go back to French and see if I like it now.

It sounds like you plan to learn by osmosis, in which you need to just go live in Japan or a Japanese community and only use Japanese language media.

You're not planning to learn english, m8?

>arma virumque cano
I still have no idea what Virgil meant to say here, and no translation seems to agree

you're a special kind of stupid

How so? It's pretty obvious that he's introducing the subject, that is, a war (arma) and an hero (virum).

probably just something he assed together to fit the form

Didn't you go to school, then? Are you a self taught genius?

>after all, we all learn how to speak english without lessons
You mean the babbys? Sure, it takes them about a year to say their first sentence and 4 more to achieve something that resembles coherent human speech. The idea that you can learn languages just by absorbing is absurd

Learning German. My grammar is alright, but my vocabulary is trash. I'm using Duolingo to learn more words, so that I can read newspapers and books soon.

Há quanto tempo está aprendendo? Já consegue ler livros?
Ficarei uns 4 meses em casa por conta do calendário dos IFs, e planejo fazer um curso intensivo de francês para leitura.

Há mais ou menos uns dois meses. Apenas O Pequeno Princípe, kek. Mas eu realmente preciso melhor meu inglês.

Google German graded readers torrent, start reading a1 level stories, listen to the audio.

Duolingo is trash.

Yes, I definitely thing buying a physical compiled book for at least the beginner and intermediate levels is the way to go.

I've learned some Spanish (mind you I'm nowhere near fluent) and I always found that when I wanted to cheap out and not buy a new book for a high level of Spanish and browse things online it was a massive waste of time.

The exception was a site where I found short stories (often historical fiction) deliberately written in intermediate Spanish. Those were quite helpful.

Anyway, for language learning (as well as philosophy) I get so distracted trying to read anything online I end up just browsing Veeky Forums or something sporadically. Add that to random websites not being layered as well (even if you stick to one with a lot of content) and it's just inferior to finding a well-priced book for learning by someone who definitely knows the subject imo.

Yeah I do get that feeling sometimes that I get distracted, I have fairly good discipline overall though.

I shall look into though cause I do find the constant looking at different sources tiring. It can't take this much effort to learn a new language even for someone like me who failed languages at school.

Cheers for the information though I shall bare it in mind.

Yeah np, man. Have fun with it as much as you can. There's ups and downs in different languages. But usually the general rule is that once you hit a mid-high intermediate level things become much more enjoyable and accelerated, so just stick with it.

Um ano e seis meses, por aí. Consigo ler bem, falar de mediano pra ruim e escrever mal. Já consigo ler Barthes, Baudelaire, Rochefoucauld, Montaigne e outros tranquilamente. Entender o que os outros falam é difícil, principalmente pra um idioma que tem uma economia vocal muito grande igual o francês, adicionando a sotaques como o parisiense então...

Você não sou eu.

Um ano e seis meses e não consegue sequer compreender um nativo claramente. Wut, que fracasso. Imagine com o alemão. Demorará 10 anos pra começar a ler Kafka, kek. Brasileirinhos são uma graça.

Você não tem a mínima ideia do que está falando. Primeiro que dentro desse tempo de estudo, minha rotina foi intermitente e, portanto, não dei a ela uma aplicação assídua. Segundo que, quando eu digo que falo de mediano pra mal, eu estou me pondo a comparação com um nível acadêmico, de debate, do idioma, que é o qual eu me engajo. O mesmo para a compreensão auditiva e a escrita. É óbvio que eu consigo lidar muito bem com uma conversa casual e viveria sem muitas dificuldades na França. Ao contrário do português, muitos aspectos do idioma falado é por demais dependente dos códigos sociais de vida privada/individual que os francófonos tomam para si e isso dificulta bastante, exemplos patentes são o próprio verlan e a aniquilação de fonemas dos parisienses.

>lol who cares
The post.

Took Latin in highschool and kept up with it after I left.
I'm Scottish so I'm thinking about taking a look at Gaelic too.

I'm sort of learning a bunch, none with great headway. I'm fluent in English and Portuguese; Latin is my third strongest, followed by German, French, Hungarian, Greek, and Sanskrit. I'm learning Hebrew currently.

Anyway, as for your Latin learning, pick up a copy of an Introduction to Latin by Susan Shellmerdine; read it alongside Wheelock and/or the Cambridge series.

I'd also recommend spending some time memorizing the proverbs of Publilius Syrus (in the Loeb edition of 'Minor Latin Poets') as well as the Sententiae Pueriles by Leonard Culman. Culman you can find online easily, but irl it would be impossible.

Fluent in English and Danish, and I know some German (pretty easy when you're Danish). Now I'm learning French as a main course in school, and the pronunciation is fucking me up, as well as the imperfect forms and so on.
Also my vocabulary is tiny as of right now, to help with this I got myself 3 copies of Around the World ín 80 Days, one in Danish, in English, and one in the original French, wish me luck!

Consider trying Lingua Latina per se Illustrata by Hans Orberg if you haven't tried it already. The whole book is written in Latin but you pick it up from context as you read on.

youtube.com/watch?v=61Kk7VkoWbc

Some guy from Veeky Forums says that learning french takes 2 weeks, 8 hours per day for peoples who already knows english. Is this true? Could i read Baudellaire after 2 weeks?

Stop doing this autistic Reddit spacing thing.

I'm a native English speaker, but know French pretty well from 5 years of school + supplemental work. I'm going to take Greek next term.

I'd like to pick up German and Latin eventually.

Are the unschooled homeless known for their linguistic prowess?

Both of these people are correct. Parents do teach their toddlers, there is a period of intense repetition and response followed later by the child's natural curiosity spurring them on to ask questions constantly which furthers their overall learning and mastery of the language they use to learn.

Japanese and Ancient Greek.

I am finally getting comfortable reading advanced german texts, just finished Steppenwolf today and got the main context and most of the philopsophical/high-thinking prose from it. I know it is not the most difficult of german texts but it's at least leagues above some other books I have read.

Now that my vocabulary and semantic understanding of the german language is at this level, I need to work on perfecting my grammar, writing and speaking skills. The speaking is something that only comes from heavy interaction with other germans though, which is luckily possible for me. So I expect to "master" the language in one year or so when I start working and finish my studies (in germany). Then after that, read most of the classics and start to play with it a bit, for instance, you can be really clever in the sentence building when you have a good vocabulary and understanding of the creative potentials.

The most brilliant dude I've ever met was both.

Very unlikely.

If you know all the grammatical conventions which French possesses, then maybe, if you have hyperdedication, have a great memory, and have an amazing work ethic.

That being said, I think 4 hours a day for 4 weeks is a better organization of your time to learn a language, because of memory retention in relation to the amount of sleep you get. Even after that, however, I doubt you could read Baudellaire. Simple prose, however, I think you could master - something like the news.

Another month just reading the news and picking up vocabulary could probably put you in Baudellaire's league with a dictionary.

Taking Latin before Greek helps learning the latter; the merits of learning Greek before Latin are far less transferable.