Literature for an adolescent

Hi, what would you recommend to a 17 years-old guy? What book influenced you most when you were an teenager?

count of monte cristo. unless you're stupid, then crichton or vonnegut.

"Tropic of Cancer" was an immensely powerful work for me around that age, but I'm pretty much living the same bum life years later that Henry Miller did in the novel, so maybe not the best idea! So was Tolstoy's "Anna Karenin," the Romantic poets (Keats, Keats, Keats), and Yeats.

Ovid - Ars Amatoria

obligatory Catcher in the Rye post

Der Steppenwolf.

Less Than Zero

Infinite Jest
Gravity's Rainbow
Ulysses
In Search of Lost Time

If you don't read all of those before you're 18 don't ever bother reading again

Meme alert.

Literally the answer to this is A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu
Letters From a Stoic by Seneca
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
Crime & Punishment or The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche

When I was 17 my reading habits were adult and you couldnt get me a book I actually wanted to read. I always felt bad because my mom always used to get me books for christmas and they were always trash or uninteresting. I definitely read more genre fiction at the time, Michael Crichton, Herbert, and Dungeons and Dragons serial novels didnt make me want to put them down like they do now. But mostly I read non-fiction history.

This this this. I read it recently, after getting a gf. I wish i had read it in high school, it was a delight to read and although some of his advice seems fedora-tier, it contains a lot of truth that is perfectly applicable today. Just please don't sperg out and do literally everything he says without thinking wether the situation is appropriate.

Nietzsche or Dawkins

>tfw 24 and haven't read the essentials

>tfw when you knee her in the back at the chariot races and she doesnt move

The satanic bible

These, plus l'Étranger.

These books seem to be difficult, what should I start with?

I'm 28 and still have so many "essentials" to read. It feels like it never ends.

What face?

>(USER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THIS POST)

>adolescent
>17 years-old

Is gravity's rainbow any good? My favorite professor brought it up once and I always forget about it and then whenever I hear the word 'rainbow' it just hits me. I can hear him saying it in his Econ lecture.

It's good if you feel like reading an 800 page novel you won't understand.

if you are attracted to women under 18 years old you are a pedophile and should be sterilized.

shut up normie. you are part of the problem.

if you're 17 you should read the normie books to get the feel of it
you can deal with the real stuff once you grow up and are able to understand it

im attracted to those years younger,
what are you gonna do about it normalfag?

All Quiet on the Western Front, (read it when I was 17)
I was pretty close in age to the protagonist and also wanted to go into the military, so I found easier to sympathize with him. Also was taking German so I was able to recognize and forgive some of the goofy sentence structures at the beginning of the book. While the language does seem really odd in the beginning, it does work itself out by the 4th chapter or so, that's also when the book really kicks into gear.
But that's just me though, everyone experiences it differently.

I'd just like to tell you that regardless of how you feel now, you need other people to function properly. Pushing people away will destroy you in the long run.

Also reported

>asks for people's help with influential literature
>pushing people away