James Watson on science

What is the scientific explanation of what James Watson is saying in this interview: youtube.com/watch?v=0Q3X69a1YhA

He talks very slowly so you should instead just read the description which has the entire thing. But some important points:

Question: Do you spend much time reading scientific journals?

>So I have the leisure time actually to read. And I think that's what we've lost now in sort of science today is leisure. Now Crick and I had plenty of leisure because nothing was happening when we were trying to find the DNA structure. There was, you know, there weren't hundreds of new facts appearing almost every week that we might learn about.

> Now scientists want people to they are experts, so they've become more and more narrow experts and not very broad

> And also you find that there hasn't been one person doing it; there are 50 names on the paper... I think stop having 50 names on a paper. Just you know, accept the fact that the rest really didn't think at all about it.

>That is, we're training people who really don't want to think, they just want to have jobs. And they consume money. And so you'd lose some, you know, if you cut out people who didn't have real dreams. But if you go into science, I think you better go in with a dream that maybe you too will get a Nobel Prize. It's not that I went in and I thought I was very bright and I was going to get one, but I'll confess, you know, I knew what it was. And Crick's thinking was otherwise, but the moment I saw that structure I thought: "We're gonna get a Nobel Prize." I knew it in five minutes, it was so obvious.

>giving a shit about the opinion of racists
nope

This is about science, please go back to

"there's too many people going into science" isn't about science, it's about economics

Economics is a science BTFO

>Economics is a science BTFO
link to a economics paper using the scientific method?

>co-discover of the structure of DNA
>"WAHHHH HE IS LE DUMB RACIST :'''''''("
Moralfaggotry at its finest. Reddit is down the hall and to the left

the guy who discovered the first prion disease (and won a Nobel for it) was a pedophile, does that mean pedophilia is ok?

what does being a discovered of the structure of DNA have to do with your ability to be racist or not?

>does that mean pedophilia is ok?
No, but one shouldn't plug their ears before giving what he has to say a listen

and no one immediately plugged their ears when one of the undisputed greatest biological discoverers said something, they listened to it and deemed it nonsense.

He also said women shouldn't be in grad school because they cry too much.

He also believes in pseudoscience about human genetics.

While his contributions were important, he is just a dinosaur. Newton believed God was talking to him through math. Kepler believed all the orbits of the celestial bodies fit some kind of divine geometric shapes. Just because someone does one thing right don't mean they are right on all subjects.

>He also said women shouldn't be in grad school because they cry too much.

can't really disagree

This.

Same thing whenever Hawking says anything.

>He also said women shouldn't be in grad school because they cry too much.
wasn't that Tim Hunt, not Watson?

i can. just because you have shitty women doesnt mean we all do. My PI is tougher than a bag of nails, but she is russian so yea

>tough women

hnnnnnnnnng I just want them to spit in my mouth honestly, is this a common feel?

sorry i know really strong women who dont take shit and dont burst into tears at the slight sight of hard work. maybe you would too if you could socialize normally.
you're not alone user. strong smart women get my jollies off like no other.

Yeah, Hunt said it but what he actually said, was that women shouldn't be allowed in the lab "because you fall in love with them, or they fall in love with you, and when you criticize them they cry." He said it jokingly as part of a toast of some even and everyone laughed. But then people took it out of context and made a huge fuss over it like SJW babies always do.

how was it taken out of context? Even if you were a scientist with a stand up comedy hobby, you should know better than to say shit like that.

Anyone else start grad school with ambitions, only to have them slip away over the next 4-5 years?

that's normal as fuck man.

So he should be shamed and forced to resign and literally have to move to Japan to continue his research because the UK doesn't want a Nobel prize winner all because he said a harmless joke?
Fuck off, you're as bad as the retards who overlook everything Watson accomplished and discovered just because he said some "racist" stuff.

Why are liberals such pussies?

for the same reason conservatives are retards

classic smart guys vs tough guys dynamic

anyway, he should have maaayybe been reprimanded somehow but to lose his job is ridiculous

Agree completely. The current century has degenerated science into useless teamwork that values quantity over quality.

i never said what happened to him should have happened to him. I said you're an idiot if you say shit like that being a prominent figure and knowing how society is now. It's the equivalent to standing in a fire and getting burned.
>why are liberals such pussies?
i really dont understand how you dont understand how the free market works. If what happened to him were so wrong and unexpected, tons of other uni's would have wanted him and gave him offers. you're just mad you cant say literally anything in this country and have no repercussions.
>anyway, he should have maaayybe been reprimanded somehow but to lose his job is ridiculous
i agree but still, our opinions dont matter here at all. Free market.

you naughty troll

Not him, but are you fucking kidding me?

>Old man complaining about the world becoming so hectic and quick.

More news at 9.

>i should be able to say anything i want without consequences!
that's not how the world works kiddo.

>> Now scientists want people to they are experts, so they've become more and more narrow experts and not very broad

This isn't a result of "training too many scientists", it's a result of the scientific community placing a premium on novel discoveries.

>Newton believed God was talking to him through math
He also thought heat was a massless invisible fluid that flowed from hot things to cold things like water downhill, and that heat was separate from energy. What a doofus.

So he's an old guy. Big whoop.
Also:
>shout out to Rosalind Franklin