GOOD LUCK AMERICA

Why are American "students" so terrible at STEM?

>More here: borgenproject.org/can-u-s-learn-foreign-education-system/

Other urls found in this thread:

journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0022022116673910
sciencealert.com/the-most-empathetic-countries-in-the-world-have-just-been-ranked
gallup.com/opinion/gallup/170510/quantifying-love-around-world.aspx
washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/02/14/a-color-coded-map-of-the-countries-where-people-feel-the-most-and-least-loved/?utm_term=.1eef1d1652d9
oecd.org/pisa/data/
aei.org/publication/putting-americas-ridiculously-large-18t-economy-into-perspective-by-comparing-us-state-gdps-to-entire-countries/
straitstimes.com/singapore/why-setting-a-poverty-line-may-not-be-helpful-minister-chan-chun-sing
borgenmagazine.com/lack-of-poverty-in-finland/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_in_Finland
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because USA is only 56% white now

>15 year olds
china has a weird ego about wanting to have the smartest high schoolers, and then when they get to college they have no pressure anymore. i think it's because research requires an element of creativity

IMO kids don't stay kids long enough anymore.

Places like China and Japan turn kids into robots. High suicide rates, high competition for a 20% improvement?
Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Other countries have to be picky with higher education. America just says 'fuck it, anyone can go, just rack up loan debt'. It works (barely) in America because the loans are mostly paid back. Other countries can't really do that, they'd just go broke.

So other countries are extremely picky and favor results over ingenuity. They might not get the Nobel level scientist, but they'll get 10 scientists for the price of 1.

Most Chinese/Indian people in my field (PhD Synthetic Organic Chemistry) are lacking in both theory and imagination though. They ace tests, but in the real world when a problem arises, they go into panic mode and generally can't translate their memorization into a solution. You can flash some random named reaction up on a board though and they'll call it out no problem.

It does come in handy, and they're not bad scientists by any stretch, but I'll say this: an application comes in and it's 10 green cards with foreign PhD's and 1 american, I'll always hedge on the american and at least give them an interview. Not saying they get the job, it's still hit or miss, but you have a much better chance of finding a solid scientists with an american PhD. (we throw all H1B visa's in the trash)

chinese people have a nasty habit of cheating on tests. their culture is very ruthless. they also fake results a lot which is annoying if you try to replicate or use their papers

Demographic anchors

WOW!!

Niggers

nice y axis

Many American kids are conditioned by movies and TV shows to hate science and mathematics, and to not be a "lame nerd"

N E R D detected lmao!!!

In the name of diversity, the bright or high intelligent students in America are put in the same class as those low intelligent students. America teachers can only teach as fast as the slowest learners.

Here have the scores for natives

It's not a surprise. US are good thanks to the immigration.

USA are an artificial country. They exist because they attract the top scientist of the world thanks to money.

You got this for math?

>ban multiple generations of niggers from going to school
>blame them when their children aren't good in school
kys whitey

This. I would also like to see the scores vs money spent on education or per capita earnings.

Yeah, I find it rather sad that due extremely high populations China and India have a culture of just learning for tedt, but lack the insight to apply and creatively use what they learned. People meme American schools all the time, however our insanely diverse culture encourages creatively. You train kids to be robots on tests, they will be robots in academics in general.

I feel this is fading. However memey they are, Tyson and Nye get people interested in STEM. Also, people hate what they don't understand. "I hate math!!! It st0pid" = I suck at math

Yeah this basically. Tyson and Nye understand they aren't real scientists but their primary job is influencing how people see science. This is why I hate it when they take political stances because they represent science. They make it seem like science is nothing but a left wing token

this
i went to a school in the US with a lot of Chinese exchange students. their demographic more than any other was caught cheating, failing, etc. When I was a TA for advanced abstract algebra, my Chinese foreign students were always the worst. they were always concerned with exam content, never caring for the material. i think it was a cultural thing though, since US born Chinese were much better.

although, maybe im just racist.

source?

>Tyson and Nye get people interested in STEM.
is there any proof of this?

I had worst experience with versions, legitimately talking /conversating multiple timee during final exams for civil engineering. Chinese didn't cheat that much

>Why are American "students" so terrible at STEM?

because loving baby Jesus and being as Nationalist (patriotic) as possible is what matters most. Everything else is for nerds, losers, and probably will make you go to hell.

More money are spend on darkies education since the liberal left/democrats believe extra money will help improve darkies education achivement.

Income disparity and stuff. Some kids wake up sad because their house is shit.

There's a hard cap on how much money helps but there's a lot of other factors.

STEM is over-rated.

Over emphasis on STEM has turned the Japanese into sexless robots.

Does this mean jews are dumb?

How can Jews be dumb if they are over-represented in Ivy league universities.

It's a cultural thing combined with how they handle education over there.

In China, you take the Gaokao at the end of highschool which pretty much decides the course of your life in the most literal way possible. This splits into two problems: The public universities only care about sucking up the people with the best Gaokao scores. After that, they put no pressure on anyone to succeed. And why would they? The students' Gaokao scores would carry them to their first job no matter how shitty they did in college and then after that it's all about connections. But, China also has private schools. These don't care about your Gaokao, they only care about your money. In these, they again put no pressure on the students; as before, why would they? They only care about milking the students for money. Chinese parents are paying the schools for a service: To provide their Small Emperors and Small Empresses with a degree. There is no "learning" aspect to it, it's an exchange of money for a certificate that will lead to employment.

China has the worst of both private and public universities.

No I don't have any conrete proof, more ancedotal. My school would should Nye videos when I was in elementary school. To a lot of it kids it was like "ooOo cool science is cool and awesome!!". It was exactly very accurate portrayal but it got kids thinking about it. It is a similar thing with musk. Even if he doesn't deliver on his promises he got people talking about science, especially space again. Their public selves become role models. "Mommy I want to be bill Nye when I'm older". Tyson is a more contemporary Nye due to the reboot(?) of Cosmos.

Yea the whole Netflix Nye thing was dumb but as long as they are encouraging children to learn and question I tolerate them. They do distort science as a process a bit, but interest in sciencitific topics help generate public support.

Go to school in Africa oh wait you subhumans had no education systems until whitey.

Paper and Crafts?

>They only care about milking the students for money. Chinese parents are paying the schools for a service: To provide their Small Emperors and Small Empresses with a degree. There is no "learning" aspect to it, it's an exchange of money for a certificate that will lead to employment
How is that any different than the US?

I WONDER

I REALLY REALLY REALLY WONDER

WE ARENT NURTURING HARD ENOUGH

>le muh Americans are so creative meme

This observation actually makes more sense, for example even though a lot of people in a lot of Germanic and East Asian countries tend to be very literate on science, their students don't want to become scientists

I know that my AP classes, in a predominately black neighborhood, were so interrupted by the black students specifically that the entire class's education was marginalized.

When I got to uni, where there were fewer black students and the educators cared less, the education quality rose incredibly.

>Places like China and Japan turn kids into robots
no

What does your pic have to do with the post you replied to?

>High suicide rates
no

why are kiwis so suicidal. Like Lithuania is a shit but kiwiland is kind of nice

lots of drugs

The rate that I posted is only for 15-19-year-olds, New Zealand suicide rate isn't that "high"

>Places like China and Japan turn kids into robots
No
journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0022022116673910
sciencealert.com/the-most-empathetic-countries-in-the-world-have-just-been-ranked
gallup.com/opinion/gallup/170510/quantifying-love-around-world.aspx
washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/02/14/a-color-coded-map-of-the-countries-where-people-feel-the-most-and-least-loved/?utm_term=.1eef1d1652d9

See

>natives
"Natives" there refers to "native-born" as opposed to "foreign-born"

I'm German and looking at this shard I have to say that there are hours worked and "hours worked". Right, Greece?

Because you chuckle fucks can't fucking count and into basic statistics.

Finland and Singapore are roughly 5.5 million people each.

Shanghai is a fucking province, not a country with only 24 million.

Canada consist of a population with only 35 million.

Of course the U.S. would rank lower in relation, it has a population of +320 million. For the comparisons to be remotely fair the U.S. would have to compare two of their cities in relation to Finland and Singapore. One of their states to Shanghai. And one of their four geographical regions to Canada.

To my knowledge China has never provided their scores accounting for the entire country involving children.

And only Japan with a +120 million is a fair comparison to the U.S. in terms of countries that rank at the top.

GLIMMER!

Nah, I think that would've been true like a decade ago. Now that people are so dependent on technology, and science is so hyped up, it's cool to be a nerd.

This, I learn faster on my own but I have to go to school to show people that I know that things I do. It's really demoralizing.

Maybe if you were good in school you would know that's not how genetics work.

Population has nothing to do with performance, you are the one that can't fucking into basic statistics

Source?

oecd.org/pisa/data/

You understand that a great majority of Chinese did not attend any school at all until the second half of 20th century? They should be doing worse than blacks by your logic.

This is a crapshoot but I'm willing to wonder if the reason the U.S. is more reading/less math and science focused is because of higher gender equality standards.

Asians don't give a shit if their system makes little girls cry as long as they get results, so they're free to push STEM harder.

>gender equality

Riddle me this you chuckle fuck, how many schools and students for each country was assessed here?

Currently a google search and reading of both the PISA related sites and PDFs does not provide numbers outside the U.S. Without those numbers these charts are more or less disingenuous.

Also there is an extreme vulnerability to sampling bias and confounding. For example Shanghai is considered one of the most high income/ educated provinces in China. If you attempted to weight such an homogeneous sample against a country such as the U.S. which samples throughout all it's states this heterogeneous sample will be unfairly compared against. And when I talk about homogeneous and heterogeneous samples I'm not talking about just race here, I'm including traits such as state funding, average gdp and property tax.

Along with this countries such as Singapore and Finland obliviously have populations equivalent to U.S. cities or sparsely populated states. But have yearly GDPs that are respectively higher than most U.S. cities and states. How is it remotely fair to compare Singapore and Finland results to a country like the U.S. that once again samples from multiple States and their cities some of which have no where near the funding to compete properly and thus weigh the U.S. average down?

I'm so sick of hearing every complain and bitch about US High schoolers being fuck tards when compared to other countries.
US High school's only purpose is to separate blue color factory workers and college grads.

I don't believe any stats coming out of China. Bunch of cheaters.

>China. Bunch of cheaters.
This.

>oecd.org/pisa/data/
Direct link?

There have been cases in which, even though some countries/economies participated in PISA assessments, the OECD and the International PISA Consortium had to remove some their data because of "technical anomalies" or because the data did not meet the OECD technical standards for PISA and therefore their results were not representative of the PISA Target Population.
Unironically, this has never been the case for China (or any other East Asian country for that matter)

If you're interested, those countries were:
In PISA 2000: Austria, The Netherlands, Luxembourg and United Kingdom
In PISA 2003: United Kingdom (again)
In PISA 2006: United States (reading literacy scores only)
In PISA 2009: Austria (again)
In PISA 2015: Argentina (except CABA), Kazakhstan and Malaysia

>Bunch of cheaters
Typical answer by white people, this is why the West is declining

Post this you fucktards. Veeky Forums living to it's name,guy posts something and nobody asks for the source and just accepts it as true?

Yes, I know that countries operate under different socio-economic circumstances so a better comparison would be to compare students with similar socio-economic status across countries so here we go

>so a better comparison would be to compare students with similar socio-economic status across countries

Nope, that is neither better nor fairly comparative.

Pic and link related,

aei.org/publication/putting-americas-ridiculously-large-18t-economy-into-perspective-by-comparing-us-state-gdps-to-entire-countries/

With 50 states that all have varying degrees of gdp, even with a nation wide public school mandate/ curriculum the socio-economic status on both the rich and poor ends of the curve is too varied (in both school and student state by state) to be simply represented as singular points in either the bottom and top decile.

This is why it is incredibly unfair to compare only select provinces from China and small countries like Singapore and Finland.

Also Singapore does not institute a poverty line like the U.S. does so it is not easy to compare the bottom socio-economic decile between the two countries. A number of articles has stated that Singapore's poor is on average better off than the U.S. poor. But this may have more to do with willingness to provide subsidy assistance in housing, food and school on a much broader less restrictive level unlike the U.S..

straitstimes.com/singapore/why-setting-a-poverty-line-may-not-be-helpful-minister-chan-chun-sing

Along with this Finland is also a welfare state. So it too cannot be compared easily with the U.S. which has some low income assistance but no where near the level Finland provides.

borgenmagazine.com/lack-of-poverty-in-finland/

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_in_Finland

A mildly better way to compare rankings would be to do it school by school with a comprehensive table involving average family net worth, properly tax, government policies, country of origin, etc.

Unironically immigration.

>Israel
>white

?

Europeans>>>White Americans

Ashnekazi and Sephardi Jews (who are the important Jews) have no less than 45% European admixture.

>He can't name a single Nigger country that did anything of note for civilization

It frustrates me beyond measure when race isn't taken into account.

I'm sure if Shanghai had to deal with a youth population of ~30% spic and ~10% African that they wouldn't fare so fucking well.

I honestly feel bad for the yanks. I realise that minorities are historically used as scapegoats for the ills of nations, but they unironically are dragging the US down at the moment. God it's painful to imagine how well it'd be doing if it was ≥90% white.

Now now Jamal and Pablo wuz Kangz N Sheet.

(OP)

God, it'd be one thing if it was admitted to be a problem, but the liberals (who seem to be the only ones allowed to voice their opinions in their media) are so stupidly fucking parochial in their analysis.

"Why are we number one in military spending? I want a country were we're number one on education!!!"

And yet they proceed to state that only literal Nazis would have the audacity to only want European (possibly East Asian) immigration.

Really, you don't see the problem with flooding a first world country with sub 85 IQ third worlders?

THEY
WUZ
KANGZ

This thread is another example of how so many ills plaguing could be solved by genociding the 47%.

>Less crime
>Better education performance
>Less niggers, Beaners, and White Trash
>Better economy

The worthy of America would then intermarry and breed the Master Race.

Dumbing down of our education standards
Teaching to tests
Less recess/PE time for middle school/elementary school
Focusing on sports in high school at the detriment of academic subjects
Removal of the arts

>what is Ethiopia

this is a joke, right?

the country literally needs international assistance just to stop it from becoming infested with AIDS

they simply have enough shekels in the family that they can easily get in