Very broad request here. What are the best books on the nature of time? I'm interested in novels...

Very broad request here. What are the best books on the nature of time? I'm interested in novels, actual scientific books, and philosophical investigations. The Wikipedia page was just too fucking long and overwhelming. I wanna know how best I can understand the concept of Time as someone who doesn't know anything about it.

Pic very very related.

Aristotle - Physics
Augustine - Confessions
Leibniz-Clarke Correspondence
Kant - Critique of Pure Reason
McTaggart - Unreality of Time
Husserl - Phenomenology of Internal Time Consciousness
Heidegger - Being and Time
Quine - Word and Object
David Lewis - Philosophical Papers v.2
DH Mellor - Real Time 1 and 2
Sider - Four-Dimensionalism: An Ontology of Persistence and Time
Meyer - The Nature of Time
Sklar - Space, Time, and Spacetime
Bourne - A Future for Presentism
Skow - Objective Becoming

That's all I can think of off the top of my head but there's plenty more

Nice list, dude. Good work.

I'd add:
Koselleck - Futures Past. A famous Heideggerian account of modernity.

Sahlins - Islands of History

Bergson - Several things, but Time & Free Will, Creative Evolution..

Eliade - The Myth of the Eternal Return: Or, Cosmos and History

And there are a few "WHAT IS TIME?? INTRODUCITON TO THE [PJHO;OSOPJHY OF TIME, 2013, ROUTLEDGE" books that you can mine for bibliography.

bump for interest

Forgot to add Ricoeur, several books but Time & Narrative (Tempts et recit) especially. Ricoeur is another Heidegerrian, go figure.

As a person who has studied cosmology and quantum physics,

my advice to you is that,

always consider time as a very unique, separate thing from all the rest there is. All analogies to perceive time geometrically, or trying to relate it to other things you perceive, are wrong.

Have you considered reading some of the more far-ranging philosophical ideas about it?

Particularly Husserlian phenomenology or nondogmatic proto-phenomenology.

Do you have any work to recommend on high level science of temporality that is conducted philosophically, or at least with philosophical openness?

In Search of Lost Time, the last volume.

please post more recs

slaughterhouse 5

>The Wikipedia page was just too fucking long and overwhelming.

In terms of fiction?

Magic Mountain by Mann is phenomenal.

Also Proust's Remembrance of Things Past

Y no brief history of time tho?

Also, I recommend The Mind of God by Davies.

How do you like to perceive it? From a physics undergrad.

But time is NOT separate, isnt that the breakthrough of relativity?

What's your problem, guy?

This is a high quality list with some excellent selections.

seconded

>Time is the indefinite continued progress of existence and events that occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future.

that is pretty fucking dank for wikipedia to be quite the very honest one

Because that's popsci my man. Hawking literally admits to having nothing to say about the nature of time in the same book where he says philosophy is dead. The man is a hack and a self-proclaimed """positivist""", although this view precludes his own commitment to a scientism grounded in scientific realism.

Woah.
Should the Wikipedia page on time be required reading in schools?

don't antagonize

Popsci = scientific theory so popular you really have no excuse not to know about it.

And anyway, why are you unwilling to value his opinions about time, but you are willing to value his opinion on having nothing to say about time?

Checkmate.

Samefag + pseud

I know right? Like, this thread hit way too close to the mark to be real.

Time is clearly a SJW spook attempting to make honest white men feel guilty for feeling proud of not feeling guilty,...., i.e., vis a vie, cuck BBC, etc... Take the redpill. Pseud... Pepe, virgin cuck.

Better?

Popsci = "science" dumbed down and reduced to inaccurate reified abstractions for mass consumption and an audience that will delude themselves into knowing what they're talking about.

My point was that he has nothing to say about time, as he says in his book:

>If one takes the positivist position, as I do, one cannot say what time actually is. All one can do is describe what has been found to be a very good mathematical model for time

Thus Hawking is not helpful for a general study of the nature of time.

finnegans wake oc, newsom quotes it in the closing song of divers:
A way a lone a last a loved a long [riverrun &c.]

Hello everyone, OP here. Thanks for the recommendations, I've screenshot the reading list posted above by well-read user. However I think I'm gonna start with A Brief History of Time and From Eternity To Here because they seem to be pop-accessible enough for the Goodreads populace so they must be reasonable starting points. I will graduate onto more difficult texts, however.

For those of you who are well versed in the physics of time and Newsonian poetry, what do you reckon Joanna's formative reading list for Divers was? She's obviously done her research, and having a sister who's an astrophysicist was no doubt a major asset, but I'd be interested in what she herself was reading. We haven't really heard any of her influences since she was starting out, Nabakov, Pynchon, Gaddis, Beagle et al...

Bump

Anyone read this? What are your thoughts.

do you know how fucking stupid you look to an objective onlooker? even if were samefags, he produced a great list, while your contribution to "call him out" does--what? a quick, brash, juvenile little tantrum against the irreconcilable backcloth of your abject failure?

what the fuck are you talking about