SOUNDS IN MY HEAD

Veeky Forums Is it normal for me to constantly be hearing music in my head and being able to remember the timbre of all instruments, on top of hearing the song fully?

Would this be a reason to learn how to play an instrument, or is it just a normal thing everyone experiences?

Other urls found in this thread:

spinditty.com/learning/Best-Musical-Instruments-for-Beginners
m.me/g/AbatGUhCgSBslu0N
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I have always had that shit since I was a kid.
It's a mental disorder.
You'll get schizophrenia if you don't treat yourself.
And you don't want that.

Are you just trolling me now?

Bump

>Veeky Forums Is it normal for me to constantly be hearing music in my head
No.
Do see a neurologist about it.

Huh, thought it was just me.

Do you have synesthesia?

>Do you have synesthesia?

Huh... sort, but it's not really as cool as some of the reports I read about it online. I actually became obsessed with acquiring synaesthesia when I was a teenager, and I would spent entire days blind folded listening to music and trying to visualize shapes in my mind, so now I actually see and feel shapes whenever I hear music even if I don't try, it becomes increasingly easier the more tired I am, or the more euphoric I am.

So I guess it's some sort of Synaesthesia, right? I mean, I don't see colors of the keys of the scales...but the visuals and spatial movement is definitely there

It's not like I literally hear it, as if I had headphones on. It sounds exactly the same as the music I listen to, but I am completely aware it's from my mind and not being heard through my ears.

Is that still not normal?

Also, why see a neurologist about it? I am completely in love with it, if only I would want a way to make it better.

Yeah, you're fine OP.

Don't worry about it.

can you make new music in your head?
thats the real question. my cousin can, i do every once in a while but my visual imagination is far better

I can hum a tune in the shower that rivals bach

Same but I didn't have to try, it's because I always have to make a symbol for whatever sensation I'm experiencing. On a side note, I also picture the words in my head whenever people are talking. I feel like that's a retard thing, am I retarded? It helps me abstract concepts but it also makes me interpret what people say too literally.

I've heard music in my head all day every day ever since I can remember. It's not original music, it's just stuff I remember. I don't think it's unusual, but people I've mentioned it to seem to think it is. I've been playing instruments since I was 3, though, and now I'm a middle school band director.
I say you get an instrument in your hands, opie. Sounds like you got some stuff that needs to get out.

"Music is like a fire in your belly that comes out of your mouth, so you better stick an instrument in front of it."

I have something similar, but I am able to controll it. It is really fun, another mental entertainment system and really helpful for making songs which I can later sing or play on guitar.

If you suffer from it, go see a doctor. If not, enjoy!

Yes, yes I can. I sometimes get goosebumps just coming up with new tracks, or remixing songs I like in my head. This gets tremendously super easy if I take stimulants while I exercise.

>hearing music in my head
You may have schizophrenia or something related, get checked out.

>On a side note, I also picture the words in my head whenever people are talking. I feel like that's a retard thing, am I retarded?

Well I hope not, because I do that too!. I don't think I had Synaesthesia before I got obsessed with getting it.

I think I'll start saving for a piano and a teacher

I imagine you are trolling, but it makes me worry. When I was a teen I had very strange episodes of night terrors, anhedonia, insanely long and complex lucid dreams, and I would hear, when tired, someone breathing in my room....

I even have a personal diary from that time, which I attempted to read and it was kinda shocking. I kept talking about someone following me, and a lot of retarded schizo shit when I can't even remember. I have not had an episode like that for the last 5 years, I hope I don't end up developing actual schizophrenia.

>piano and a teacher
Buy a cheap electric piano then learn from YouTube until you know you need a teacher

This thread is very interesting. Been hearing music non-stop in my head for as long as I remember. Also "see" music as spike-shaped stuff with different colors. Happy that I'm apparently not the only one.
I have, however, difficulties recognizing faces. Even my own after shaving. And I used to view inanimate objects as being alive, like stones. Should I worry or just carry on?

>I have, however, difficulties recognizing faces. Even my own after shaving. And I used to view inanimate objects as being alive, like stones.

Wow, what's living with that like? I've never heard of it before. Is it an issue in your daily life?

I've always heard music in my head, original or songs that get stuck in my head.

Right now I hear a soft desperate piano melody as I listen to rain drops hit my roof.

I play music too though so it's not bad.

I realized this issue when I had an appointment with a new friend I met in school when I was around 13 years old. By chance, I met an other guy when waiting for him who looked kind of like him, but only the form of the body. I asked him what we would be going to do and he was very confused. That's when I realized that he was someone else. I'm kind of afraid of confusing people because it's a bit emberassing, but nowadays I find it to be kind of funny as well (I'm 30 now). Recently, I figured out that I have one more colleague in my math department than I thought, turned out two guys just look really similar. I told them and they were confused lol.

It's more unsettling that I tend to not recognize myself sometimes, like after shaving. I guess I just came to terms with it since I don't care about looks and such stuff at all, but might ask a doctor sometime about it.

As for the inanimate object stuff, I really have no idea why it is like that. Been like it as long as I can remember. I sometimes get uncomfortable when seeing a book being tilted or some other object that looks as it is "uncomfortable". Kind of weird nowadays but also interesting. However, this freaked me really out as a teen.

can you identify notes

>I also "see" music with spike shaped colors
Not op but dude same. Not exactly that but weird quick shapes that can't be replicated in 3d space. I wonder if everyone does this.

That's fascinating, user. Not sure if it's dangerous or a sign of future schizophrenia. I hope not.

I'm a decent musician (played piano since I was a kid,) and I can do that on demand as well.
I can also imagine synths and apply filters to them mentally.
I don't know whether it's something most people can do or not.
It's definitely not a mental disorder.

If we're on the subject of weird stuff you did, when I was kid, as I was falling asleep, I was terrified of my hand. I thought it could have a mind of its own and strangle me while I slept. And even though looking at it scared me, I would literally watch my hand until I fell asleep to be sure.

Maybe it's worth an attempt to ask /mu/, but only when they are in good mood. I'll try it sometime.

I really hope it's not dangerous, sometimes I am a little afraid though. This thread has convinced me to ask my doctor about it when I have my next routine appointment.

Only B major, for some reason. Every-time I hear it, Deadmau's ''Strobe'' song comes to mind.

I wish I've had musical training as a kid, maybe I would have perfect pitch today.

>Deadmau's ''Some Chords'' song comes to mind*

FtFm

>mfw
Scariest stuff in this thread so far. Do you have similar feelings today?

Wew dude, you watched too much Adam's Family

Nah, it went away when I was like 9. No idea what provoked it either.

When I was a kid, I had these terrible lucid dreams that would turn into nightmares, I would be left alone in the dark on a house with never ending corridors and doors. At some point in the dream I would feel a presence behind me, that would paralyze me in terror and posses my body. Every night. It got so bad, I developed insomnia because I refused to go to sleep.......

So now instead of demons haunting me in my dreams, they did in in IRL. I began hearing people breathing whenever I was alone and seeing people running from the corner of my eyes. One day, while using the internet I found about Alex Collier and I believe it, I began to believe Reptilians were coming to get me and I would hear hissing sounds, that would chill my spine.

it's actually pretty dope

This, I want a way to make it even better. I wanted to test if learning to play piano or spending days blinded folded listening to piano keys while micro dosing LSD would help increase the severity of my synaesthesia. I mean, it probably won't work, but the idea itself seems kinda fun.

Whew

I think a distinction needs to be made, are you actually hearing music as though it is coming from outside your head but there's never anything there, or are you merely having music stuck in your head because there's a catchy tune? The former is a problem. The latter is perfectly normal. The latter is the same thing when you remember someone's voice. They are not talking to you, you are just remembering it. However, if you are hearing it as though it is coming from a location outside your head then you have a problem.

Have you guys never heard of earworms?

I thought everyone gets these

Everyone does. I'm glad I've not had that happen in like 20+ years now. Then again I'm jaded as fuck when it comes to electronic forms of entertainment now.

>when tired hear someone breathing in my room

I've experienced that several times in middle school. I even knew a friend who has experienced that too. Neither if us had any type of episodes of mental illness. Maybe some weird unexplainable phenomenon like "shadow men" or something.

Please start a blog on how you gave yourself this condition, what your doctor says, blog more about it like the good (composing, etc)and hopefully no bad but if it happens blog it too. Obviously share blog in this thread and link your /mu/ thread here too please.

>microdosing
if 4 tabs is a micro dose, that's pushing a milligram though

spinditty.com/learning/Best-Musical-Instruments-for-Beginners

>itt: i start doubting my mental health

of course it's normal to hear music in your head, even normie memes have it. if i'm walking down the street and i want to feel cool i'll play some cool song in my head, why would that be unusual

There's nothing wrong with you.

You are probably just a composer with a a detail oriented mind and a good memory.

That's how it is for me. After so many years of playing instruments and using software to record and / or create music, it's like I have a creation timeline in my head that I can visualize and dissect every song I have ever written ( a fuck ton).

Just pick up an instrument or do some creation with MIDI and VSTs and see where it takes you.

It's the aural equivalent of a photographic memory.

>why would that be unusual

https: www youtube com watch?v=EZt6mZ-Te1U

Did you want to talk?

https: t co ChYzN02tIt

Reveal the secrets of Synaesthesia

I have it too, I constantly tap rhythms or knock them with my teeth. Most of the time there's a melody playing in my head. I love that and I love music.

>Is it normal for me to constantly be hearing music in my head and being able to remember the timbre of all instruments, on top of hearing the song fully?
Yes
>Would this be a reason to learn how to play an instrument
Yes

m.me/g/AbatGUhCgSBslu0N