So what are Veeky Forums's opinions on H.P.Lovecraft

So what are Veeky Forums's opinions on H.P.Lovecraft.
I personally like his writings and attempts to create existential fear, once you get past most of the racist stuff that is.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7RV6htNDTwI
youtu.be/zEiC4a6PLcI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

...post it

I love the idea of Lovecraftian writing a lot more than I like his writing itself. The idea of a being we can't comprehend is a lot better than saying that it's a being we can't comprehend. He had a bad habit of writing something along the lines of "I cannot possibly try to explain it" then go into explaining it. Also, in a lot of his works that fit into the mythos, and even those that don't, lots of random name-drops were put into it without any real rhyme or reason, even if it generally had nothing to do with the story. Show don't tell comes to mind.
That being said, I still enjoy most of his work as viewing them as separate, non-connected things.
Are you asking to post his writings?
A lot of them can be found online at www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/
My personal recommendations would be 'The Other Gods', 'The Rats in The Walls', 'The Music of Erich Zann' and 'From Beyond'
And of course 'The Call of Cthulhu, though to be honest, I think it suffers from the problems I said before the most of any of his works.

I really liked the short story "Dagon" since it had all of what you mentioned but kept it to a minimum as far as "that which cannot be described" and all that rot.

"The Rats in the Walls" is awesome in its' scope for a short story, as well.
For the lazy, there are moving comics on YouTube of some of his short stories that are fun.

I've read the call of cuthulu and the hound... couple of others. His writing style is fucking elegant.

It gets very repetitive if you get really into him, but the ones that stand out seriously stand out.

Good taste, especially Dagon and Rats in the Walls

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

Please stop posting the same thread with the same image so soon

>catalog
>ctrl+f
>lovecraft
>0 matches
>archive
>ctrl+f
>lovecraft
>1 match
>its this thread

Good concepts. But I think modern writers could improve on it.
However I have no interest in modern writings harping on lovecrafts style.

But if there were writers that were original and could be considered lovecraftian... then I'd want links.

Ligotti is supposed to be very good and I've heard him compared to Lovecraft. Haven't actually read anything from him though.

Ligotti is good, and has similar concepts, but he is very much separate from Lovecraft. He has much more dulled tones than Lovecraft. Plus his stories are more "human" than the Cthulhu-mythos type things, usually only alluding to things larger than ourselves.

That "racist stuff" is borne of his concern for civilizations demise, and his existential horror at the declining influence of aristocratic, British order in the USA and in Europe. It's an important part of his writing.

This. Every story seems to have the following line; Then he remembered that cursed work called the Necronomicon from the Mad Arab Abdul.

>there are moving comics on YouTube of some of his short stories that are fun

This one is superb:
youtu.be/7RV6htNDTwI

>Oh no! A writer from the past holds a viewpoint that our current society says is unacceptable! What do I do? How can I GET PAST this?!! How can I still enjoy his work?!?!!

People like you are idiotic scum.

>*sigh* his racism is so problematic :/

It's 2017 you cuck. If you aren't racist by this point, you are beyond saving.

The Shadow Out of TIme is the only thing he ever wrote that can even remotely be considered above the level of amateur pulp fiction.

t. someone who forced himself to read his complete stories

beautiful

This is unironically better than Emily Dickinson's entire body of work.

Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath is a masterpiece and I don't know why people don't like it

His dream cycle stories are legit amazing. Lovecraft's purple style really lends itself well to the general mood of those pieces.

Been a while since I read these, but I remember enjoying them a lot years ago. Was surprised when I learned that many people dislike them.

A film version or Kadath would literally make Lovecraft twice as popular. I'm not even memeing.

youtu.be/zEiC4a6PLcI

well, my favorite is The Shadow Out of Time, and i love the all the shit that happen in fucking Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath

I enjoy his more experimental pieces such as "beyond the wall of sleep"" and "through the gates of the silver key.Although the latter does suffer from the "i can't describe it" pitfall,what he does describe is brilliant.

The Whisperer in Darkness and At The Mountains of Madness are two favourites of mine, his use of atmosphere and description for both is some of his best.

I had issues with his dream cycle stories, probably because I'm not a huge fan of fantasy. He's pretty much an essential read if you want to start writing horror

can anyone redpill me on lovecraft, looking to get into reading some of his stuff but don't know where to start/whats worth reading

Chronological order, read everything

If you're looking for horror then most of the "cthulhu mythos" stories are a must read,although there's debate as to which stories actually qualify as part of the cthulhu mythos.
If you're more interested in the cosmic aspect of cosmic horror then the dream cycle stories are fantastic. I was pleasantly surprised when i read them,they're not associated with Lovecraft like the cthulhu mythos stories are. They're just as good though.

cool thanks for the info man, will definitely check these out

I remember first discovering his stuff and becoming madly addicted, his work was just so fascinating and fresh to me, not to mention actually unnerving (I had never been scared by written work before). The White Ship is one of my favourites, it's not necessarily horror but it definitely gets under your skin yet manages to be strangely beautiful at the same time.

Personally I found that after reading about five of his short stories, then started to become tedious and formulaic. He reuses the same bags of tricks—stylistically, structurally, thematically, verbally—that after a while I find stale. I can understand how someone would really like his style and mythos (which is actually his best creation (and because it's abstract)), but I find it boring after repeat encounters.

You aren't supposed to binge read serials though, he only published 5~ short story's a year, If you read them at the same pace they were published you don't notice what you've rightfully pointed out.

No I understand that, I'm not talking with a specific timeframe in mind. I'm just saying that I once I read half a dozen of stories, I felt like I read them all. About six months ago I started At the Mountains of Madness, and about fifty pages in I stopped and asked myself "why am I reading this?" and after I didn't have a good answer, I dropped it. I just find his stuff monumentally boring now

k. keep me posted

I'm a huge fan of cosmic horror, and Lovecraft's style is beautiful. At the Mountains of Madness was utterly chilling. Also helped that I read it during the winter, at night, home alone.

if I start liking him again? i dont understand user