What does this mean? What would happen if the cost decreased to $0.1?

What does this mean? What would happen if the cost decreased to $0.1?

Other urls found in this thread:

xkcd.com/1838/
genome.gov/sequencingcosts/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It means employers can finally mandate cheap genetic tests so that they can filter out retards and drug addicts.

>cost per genome
People will buy more genomes?
Hell, at 0.1$ they would give genomes for free.

maybe if we ran short of genomes, the price would rise again

hi I do this >xkcd.com/1838/ with NGS data for a living

with rnaseq and chipseq letting us probe the transcriptome and episome we'll finally get a good handle on whole population trends, what features lead to what phenotype, so that we can finally establish our dream utopia without mutations and only the best people named Eugene with the best genetics will live long enough to get cancer and die anyway

It means you will have genetic sequencers in every airplane testing for killer flus and shit. Also everything will get tested like food, eggs, surfaces, etc for bad things.

We will finally start understanding and being able to control the microbiome around and inside us.

Is this one of those cases where they advertise "genome sequencing for $1000" but if you want to actually get your genome sequenced you discover there's a bunch of caveats to this and the real price is much higher?

Kind of but all forms are getting cheaper.

It means ASHKENAZI women no longer have to sexually select exclusively by the PHENOTYPE to breed the next generation of BIG ASHKENAZI BRAINS.

Moore BTFO

FREE MY PEOPLE, YOU CRAZED SCIENTISTS

Wtf is that line for Moore's law even meant to represent? I've never seen Moore's law expressed in terms of cost per genome.

halving of cost every 18 months to 24 months depending on definition used.

Have a (you)

Graphics cards, fpgas, asics, GaAs substrate, quantum computers.

>What would happen if the cost decreased to $0.1?
That wil not happen. Will probably bottom out at ~$100

Nah it will get cheaper. There should realistically be a huge demand for sequencing to protect against bioweapons and killer outbreaks.

A huge threat to humanity right now is a simple killer flu released at an airport or spreading through the airport systems. Being able to detect and sequence such a virus early is unbelievably valuable.

There will be a lot of forces and need for even cheaper sequencing. Probably doesn't need to be WGS though for those purposes.

>Nah it will get cheaper
you could be right. But $0.1 is absurd.
If demand is realy high I could see an $10 - $50 price range

>Filter out drug addicts with a genetic test.
I hope you're self employed.

>100M per genome in 2001
Anyone can source this?

genome.gov/sequencingcosts/

no specific source for each datapoint

underrated