Is he still respected these days? I never see him posted on here. Goethe general I guess

Is he still respected these days? I never see him posted on here. Goethe general I guess.

I'm pretty sure he's still considered the greatest German writer

Well, is he respected in the literature world right now?

I can't think of a single reason of why he wouldn't be.

By the sixes and sevens, yes. All the prose is good (fondness for Italian Journey, which Auden t'd)--

>I never see him posted on here

Most of Veeky Forums are brainlets who just post the meme trilogy or buy books for their "collection" and never read them. Goethe is a bit beyond their depth.

Goethe is on here every day. Please shut the fuck up.

Is it pronounced Goethe?

>Goethe is on here every day

Right. And I bet you think this is a thread actually discussing Goethe.
Back to read it.

Göte. Not Go-ete.

>By the sixes and sevens,

you scamp

like David Guetta

like someone from the south end of boston saying girder

It's pronounced "goath"

I did a course on Global Literature (it was a very progressive and liberal paper) and we used Eckermann's dialogue with Goethe on world literature as a major focus of study. Quite surprised me at first, then after we just moved onto the usual tripe.

It's Gotti

if i had to estimate by the shelf-threads lit is an english speaking board mostly frequented by people from both the americas and the british isles.

among them goethe is a bit overrated and german literature in general unterrated

>Goethe
>overrated

Pick one.

You're incoherent. Even if you weren't, you're just moving goalposts, even if you're not doing that, you're making shit up.

Stunning analysis, brainlet.
Let me spell it out for you.
The implication of my first post was that Veeky Forums is full of memesters. Do you know what a meme is?
You said I'm wrong because "Goethe is on here every day."
Your post is utterly irrelevant to my first point because Goethe may well be on here, but only as a meme.
This was incoherent to you not because it is so but rather because you have low intelligence. Thank you and enjoy your evening.

Schoppy and Goethe a best broship

Sharp. Our ueber rating's a naught by contrast to the lit that G completely owns. Waiting for a Sloterdijk thread....

The German government runs a German teaching institute around the world that is named after him. He is well regarded in Germany and the West.

lol best explanation of pronunciation i've seen

KEKK! brainlet absolutely BTFO!!!! how will this pleb cuck ever recover?!! upboating you for le epic rekking m'good sire

Goethe is quite rarely posted on Veeky Forums, I don't know how that could be disputed really. Veeky Forums is for the most part 20th century books.

I read Sorrows for school, it was interesting but not interesting enough to make me want to read more of him

Sorrows is Goethe's juvenalia and hardly representative of his entire body of work.

I'm reading him right now OP. Even been translating some of his short lyrics where I find the English translations inadequate. Got a whole stack of nothing but Goethe I've been reading through, love the man.