Chemistry General

WE WUZ /CHEMG/Z edition

So, what are you studying or researching, lads?

Other urls found in this thread:

store.masterorganicchemistry.com/products/org-1-summary-sheets
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

PhD, industry, working on battery electrolytes.

just started a job in pharma developing a generic drug. surprisingly challenging and interesting considering all my prior experience is in synthesis.

what is your day to day, battery chemistry seems pretty cool

Thoughts on biochem?

It's pretty neat. My PhD was a half synthesis and half characterization including a lot of electrochemistry. My day is entirely dependant upon the needs of the company and engineers. Some days I'm making many kg of material some days I'm doing UVvis some days I'm doing weathering and some days I'm just fucking off at my desk.

Any experience in total synthesis before having this job ?

Do you know how to make LSD, DMT, crystal meth, weed, etc?

Only a few weeks before I move to Europe for a post-doc job at a uni there looking at reaction kinetics.

What should I expect?

nothing in natural products, I was in one lab designing/making ligands for a mouse protein and later did my undergrad thesis making iron based catalysts, which was like 90% organic synthesis

>Weed
You grow it stupid brainlet

No but even I did you can't get ahold of the reagents without filling out billions of forms and background checks.

How?
Then how do others do it? And how come you don;t know how to?

non-Veeky Forumsentist here.

You have a few choices here:
a) use duckduckgo over 3 VPN's and 10 proxies to duckduckgo "how to grow weed"
b) scour /k/ for either the do/k/ument, the Ar/k/, or one of the couple of other torrents [seed you faggot]
c) take botany class, make sure the teach is a hippie, ask about cannabis

all under the pretense of waiting for when drugs become legal so you can get a license.

I really don't care to make drugs. You can make the starting materials yourself but purity is key lest you fuck up your final results for testing. That's why you see little hard drug research in literature, the researchers that do clinical trials are not synthetic chemists.

You sound like one if the dudebro students taking organic lab raising his hand and asking "lolwegunnamakelsd?"

What is the best way to get into chemistry, assuming you habe only high-school knowledge?

Like in college or industrially?

Thinking about studying pharmacy, so thats part of it. But the main reason is that I had to choose between bio and chem in school and took bio for easy good grades. Now I am out of school for some time and feel that I am seriously lacking as a person for not knowing more about it.

You're better off with chemistry as opposed to biology. The good news is they both start out essentially the same. BioI and II for me helped to chemistry better by giving it an applied physical meaning that Chem I and I didn't provide. Chemistry will also give you a much better understanding as to how drugs are made and what's in the and how they work. There's no way to really get into them, I didn't switch to a chemistry major until my third year, only after I took all the Organics and liked it more than my premed shit and faggot premed classmates.

My last abstract was in psychology

Just finished whippin' up some meth in my trailer!

I'd say it's about ~50% pure (This is my 3rd time making it)

doing some research on casimir effect for pchem, trying to piece together my understanding.

i'm not quite understanding how zero point energy correlates to casimir effect. anyone care to explain it for me?

I'm actually trying to decide between picking a mentor for grad school. On one hand, I pick the consistently-funded older dude who researches antimalarials; on the other, I pick the younger guy who researches rare earth metals and selenoenzymes in bacteria.

Hopefully gonna meet the latter soon so I can finally make a decision. Any advice, lads?

>tfw downloaded ar/k/ from murdercube and frequent rhodium archive without vpn
sheiit

I assume this is for the general graduate visit or have you already arrived at your chosen school?

I'm already here taking my grad classes, they give us a little bit longer to choose our PIs though I wish I started talking with them sooner. Starting my master's essentially.

I guess it really depends on if I wanna work on drug development or work on nanomaterials.

What ever you choose, I advise stable funding so you don't end up having to rush and finish a project while starting up a totally new one. Don't just stick to synthesis, do all your own characterization and other tests outside of synthesis that way you are more marketable when looking for the first job.

Sounds good, I'll see what I can do. In terms of stable funding, the drug development guy always gets that, so he's a safe pick. Hopefully I can take these first few months to learn a lot of lab techniques.

And over time, press to be included in meetings with his funders or other visitors so you can build contacts that he can write letters of rec for and so they know both you and him.

Will do, thanks.

Doing my Bachelor's thesis about inverse photoemission in the physics department. Work group is chill and everything is DIY here. Next semester, lecture in statistical mechanics I and I then I'll hopefully get my degree. Hope to get some interesting PChem modules for my Master's, either spectroscopy or energy storage. Didn't think I'd end up liking PChem more than catalysis.
Pic somewhat related. Heating up my tungsten/thorium sample filament to get rid of residual gas. Had to change it after it broke which meant taking the whole setup apart and getting the pressure back to 10E-11 mbar.

First two paragraphs are tl;dr so just skip to the third one if you just want to get to my question.

I'm taking Organic Chemistry 1. When I'm taking notes I have a tendency to write down every piece of information for something, and not only take forever in making notes for myself but also manage to have most of my notes be stuff that's not going to be relevant or useful at all in the class/during tests (for example, if I read a chapter in a textbook I'll more or less end up copying the entire thing, but in my own words somehow). I'm trying to correct this, but I'm still writing down a lot of unnecessary details, combined with trying to word it in a way that I can easily understand and get (I can get stuck for hours on something until some minor detail/step/formula is shown to me and then everything falls into place) and laziness that I'm trying to shake off which makes this take a lot more time and effort than I think it should take.

I'm a more than a bit behind and was writing down notes yesterday in the library and found this "cheat sheet" online that seems to be what I was looking for, in the sense that it seems to have exactly what is necessary to understand Organic Chem 1 and in the 'steps' that build up on previous materials like the professor kept saying Organic Chemistry was about, more or less. Here's the link, and pic related is a photo on the site of one of the pages of the sheet: store.masterorganicchemistry.com/products/org-1-summary-sheets

So basically, my question is should I buy the sheet above? Or should I save my money and continue taking notes the way I am currently? The sheet comes in PDF format through a link, so if anyone else wants it and I buy it I'll upload it somewhere if possible.

it's only $18 man, if you're having this much trouble with your notes i'd say that's worth it.

I agree, 18$ isn't really that much considering how much books etc. cost anyway.

I also agree that you should share them :3

In orgo, condensed study material is pretty important iirc. I wrote down a lot, but really only benefitted from studying condensed rxn charts and remembering a few concepts. 18 isn't much, forgot to pack a lunch today, just spent half that on lunch

And yeah, you should share em. I'd like to have em too

I bought it, and have no issues with making copies of it. They even gave me 5 downloads, so I can get it again if it somehow gets deleted. Which site should I upload it to?

Can you change to jpg or png and upload in this thread?

STATISTICS ARE ALL MADE UP REEEEEEEEEEEE

Sure, but it might take a while. Took a longer look at the PDF and it has my email and transaction number on the bottom of all the pages, so I have to edit them out.

Pretty cool, though it can be tough to find a job depending on where you live.

Where in Europe?

Apparently the PDF is password protected, so I had to take screenshots of the pages while the PDF viewer was open. The quality isn't the best, but it should do for now until I find a better solution. Page 1/20

Thanks, man. It's definitely still legible. And can't ever complain about free

2/20

Just starting my last semester of undergraduate school. Trying to decide if I want to take up a certain company's offer for a position in process chem, which would require me to drop out since I'd have to move halfway across the country; or stay in school to get a master's degree, and continue on in academia. Leaning heavily toward the internship since I can always just come back to school if it doesn't work out, but I'm apprehensive about it since the cost to move over there is significant and the imposter syndrome is hitting really damn hard, especially since the field seems to be dominated by guys with chemical engineering degrees.

Are there any process chemists in here? What's your day-to-day look like?

3/20. Sorry this is taking so long, sometimes the "watermark" is directly on top of information and I have to edit it carefully.

4/20

5/20

6/20

7/20

8/20

9/20

10/20

11/20

12/20. For this one, there was one small part at the bottom that I took out, because it was impossible to edit out the mark and show what was beneath. I couldn't even make it out in the original PDF. I also replaced the red text at the bottom with the same words instead of trying to edit it to its original state.

>Which site should I upload it to?
dropbox

13/20. Did the same thing for the text here, it's noticeable. The remaining pages don't require any more work than just erasing the text, so I should be done dumping soon.

14/20

Do you know of any websites or programs that can unlock and edit text out of a PDF file? Because my email and transaction number of the purchase are all on the bottom of the pages, and the PDF file itself is password protected. I'd upload it otherwise.

>Do you know of any websites or programs that can unlock and edit text out of a PDF file?
nah m8, sorry, but ill take the pics

youre doing gods work

15/20

Thanks. Hopefully this will help people a lot with the subject/course. When I'm able, I'm going to buy the rest of the sheets available and share them.

just look up on google a website to convert pdf to doc user, should be easy enough to find

16/20

I'll try that, give me a few moments.

17/20

18/20. Still doing a bit of looking around.

19/20

20/20. I'll upload the PDF when I'm able to. Hopefully the pictures are fine for now.

Cheers user

thanks user, you're doing god's work here

Thanks man. I had Ochem a while ago but forgot most of it so these will definitely be useful. Good luck to you.

You're a godsend, I really needed a refresher on ochem. Thanks so much.

the company wants you to drop out of school before you even have a BS?

Why can't they just let you get the degree and then take the position? That's actually more beneficial for both parties.

No, it'd be after I graduate. My fault for bad wording. I just couldn't go on to grad school if I took the job like I planned to initially, at least not at this institution.

France

Physical Chem is great, most people get sucked in to the organic meme in chem. That's a nice pressure, it was a major pain in the arse keeping my shit just at 1E-8 Torr.

Comp Sci Major here. I've been binging on chem related videos on youtube and I want to learn more. The Veeky Forums guide for chem on the sticky is actual shit. Anyone have any recommendations for textbooks for self study or textbooks you think were really well made? I have basics down so I want to study organic chemistry next.

i took pchem last semester thinking it would be difficult af, it was, but i also ended up loving it, i even got an internship at the pchem division

thinking of a masters in pchem, any downsides?

personally i would take the job, school is always there if you don't like it and if you take the job you'll be much more employable once you do go back for an advanced degree since you have industry experience. besides, a lot of people that go to grad school straight out of undergrad end up regretting it so there's that too

The trouble is, going to gradschool after working, you take a massive paycut for essentially five years as no one goes to gradschool for anything less than a PhD unless you can't pass your quals.

Go to gradschool now, get it out of the way while you are youngish.

Not a process chemist but I manage two. They are wet chemists that do things. They are important but if you want to be a thinker/creator, not a worker, go to graduate school or go in really knowing what you are doing otherwise your thoughts will be entirely disregarded for a few years until you demonstrate competency. What type of process chemistry? What company? That will change things if it's not pharmaceutical or general bulk compound or polymer synthesis.

"organic chemistry as a second language" is a great textbook that's meant to serve as a secondary resource for students going through orgo 1 and 2.

it's highly condensed and focuses on teaching practical problem-solving methods, not so much the theory and mechanisms and details of named reactions. those details however are the real heart of organic chemistry, and it's important to be very familiar with those details if you're going further in your chemistry study beyond orgo 2 and biochemistry.

in other words, it's much shorter and easier to read than a full-length textbook. you can get the gist of organic chem w/ reading it. however, it's not a complete picture of the subject.

the author of orgo as a second language (David Klein) also does a great general organic chemistry textbook that is worth the read if you're looking to get in-depth with the subject matter.

Khan Academy is another good resource for a condensed review of the subject.

Thanks. I really enjoy looking at synthesis videos especially the ones involving acids. Do you know any good books on Chemical Engineering?

Undergraduate research in synthesizing imidazo[1,5a]/[1,2a]pyridine based ligands for palladium catalyzed cross coupling. Soon hopefully we get to use these ligands themselves in Suzuki reactions to test their efficiency as ligands.

>tfw too dumb for gradschool
>tfw doomed to $15/hr lab tech bitch work
let me die in my sleep

Mech eng,

Manufacturing and Aerospace specializations, although I have zero idea why I took the later... Currently finishing with my last internsh*t (just kidding it's awesome)

For some reason I was thrust into Synthfuel research for aircraft engines and frankly I am lost with all you chem nutters. I have one hell of a uphill battle to win to get to a point where I will be useful. Hell most of the people I work with are even better than me at thermodynamics !!

I thought I was good at chem, hats off to you guys !

Starting organic chemistry I in a few weeks, what should I do to prepare in advance?

Review things like acids, bases, conjugate acids and bases, formal charge, nomenclature, etc. Most will be entirely new material if your only previous experience is general chemistry. Enjoy, organic 1 and 2 are insanely enjoyable courses.

Thanks for the tips mate, I read through the thread after I posted and downloaded the other anons notes.

Just got a chem job out of college and am now planning on going back to Grad school next year.

My job is with the federal gov't and I start soon. I've been told to not let the gov't help me get into a grad program because they'll force me to work for them after graduating. I can definitely get funding on my own, so should I be worried? When do I tell the gov't that I'm quitting to go to grad school if I do it behind their back?

I've never heard that about the government. Depends on your bosses. It's sort of understood at least in industry if you leave for gradschool. Here people usually tell months in advance so projects can be properly wrapped up or transitioned. Have you already been accepted or you just thinking about it?

Waiting to clear background check. If everything goes through then I'll start in about a month or so.

if you're still in school try to join a lab doing useful analytical methods like HPLC, GC, MS, shit like that. you can become a lot more valuable in industry with that experience

My uni eliminated their graduate chemistry program and focused instead on integrating all the common analytical techniques into the undergrad labs (e.g.: everyone in the organic lab ran their own samples in proton NMR and FTIR, all the required labs gave you a lot of hands on experience with GC-MS, HPLC, UV-Vis instruments, etc.). Is this kind of experience generally considered acceptable, or do employers tend to dismiss it if it's not done in a research group?

I never did HPLC in my research group but I did have about 2 months experience from my analytical lab and turned that into a 50k salary job straight out of college. Just make sure you emphasize the extent of your experience and sell it. especially if you did anything that wasn't following instructions (troubleshooting, maintenance, method development, etc). try to stay away from doing strictly QC if you can, those jobs tend to pay a lot less. but if that's all you can get it's better than nothing

Graduated Biochem back in 2016 and have been stuck working shitty QC jobs. I wish I had just went straight to grad school, but I'm applying this fall/winter. Still not sure if I should just email my profs, I'm actually thinking about doing a Masters at my alma mater, then going for a PhD
Anybody else went to grad school after working? How was it?

In US?

yes

So generally when you apply for gradschool, you apply direct for PhD. The masters then PhD is the yuro system. Here in the US you only get a masters if you don't pass your quals or you leave early for various reasons. The only people that apply and are accepted for masters are special cases where a company is sending them or it's through our rich uncle Sam.

What do you mean? My school offers a Masters in chemistry, that's what I'm applying for

Interesting. What school? Small school?

Nah, around 15,000 students.
Why do you think Masters programs are only if you fail your quals? Every school I've looked at has Masters programs