Is the book of Job in the Bible poetry?

Is the book of Job in the Bible poetry?

>The Book of Job (/ˈdʒoʊb/; Hebrew: אִיוֹב Iyov) is a book in the Ketuvim ("Writings") section of the Hebrew Bible (Tanakh), and the first poetic book in the Old Testament of the Christian Bible.
Learn to use google, cretin.

>use google

Nice try, shill.

It is not poetry.

God only knows, op.

Then what is it?

But it reads like poetry.

prozaic narrative, poetic dialogues.

philosophy

The first three chapters of Job and the last ones are not poetry, but the whole book is poetry set around a frame narrative. Job's lamentations are some of the best poetry in the western canon, let alone in The Bible

define poerty
also in english translations, does Job lose his job ?

>pic related

>The first three chapters of Job and the last ones are not poetry

Way to point out the obvious, friend.

Best chapter is 38 when God speaks

"Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me. Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding."

I'll probably have to reread the book of Job because I'm not used to reading poetry and may have missed important verses. But I didn't really understand the dialogue between God and Satan, and why God was mad at Job's friends for not disproving him, even though they tried to, seemingly.

Satan is viewed differently by Jews and Christians. Paradise Lost had a lot of influence on Protestant view's of Satan, for better or worse.

Job's friends simply gave him bad advice.

>Paradise Lost

Hm. I always see that book talked about on here. It might be worth checking out once I finish reading the Bible, I suppose.

It's not Dante's Divine Comedy good but it's worth your time.

The sarcastic god chapter is what shook my religion enough to lose my faith.\
t. former Pentecostal(the best denomination)

Job knew he was just and that the misfortunes God sent upon him were not because of a hidden sin like his friends were implying. It's a refutation of the fundamentalist claim that God likes to punish us.

The sarcastic God chapter is one of my favorites because it strengthened my faith in God (the contrary of you

But, then, why did God become furious with Job and asked him if he created the earth, the seas, etc., etc.? I think once I reread it I'll have a better understanding of it al. But I don't understand why God told Satan of Job in the first place.

I get that. I don't think i'll ever be religious again, but I'll always be spiritual.
>seek out your own salvation with fear and trembling
There's still a lot in there I look to.

It doesn't even rhyme...how is it poetry?

Did somebody say my name?

I don't think the point is fearing God. We can't fully understand Him and I don't know if we will be able to after death. But he's God; he's Love and Creation personified. If He didn't love us we wouldn't exist. If God wanted for us to live eternally fearing Him he would have done a better job about it, don't you think?

God accepted Satan's challenge to demonstrate that Job's faith was unbreakable. He became furious with him because his faith (although it didn't break entirely) wavered and Job started to question his disgraces as if God wasn't infinitely bigger than Job to begin with. As if it was God's job to explain himself. It isn't.

That verse isn't my favorite, because of a fear of god, but through a fervent passion of doing good. A fear of not knowing what is good and seeking out what is.

Thanks for the clarification, friend.