Insomnia general

Does anyone else here /insomnia/?
Nabokov called sleep "the most moronic fraternity in the world, with the heaviest dues and the crudest rituals."

Had a whole six months of it last year, during which I nearly lost my marbles and my job.

I've learned that good sleep is the foundation of a good life. And dreaming is one of the highest functions of the mind. Once you start recording and interpreting your own dreams, you open up a whole avenue of communication with the unconscious. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Yes, been struggling with it for a few years. Been trying to sort it out because a lack of sleep is fucking horrible. Being permanently sleep deprived means i can barely do anything, barely think ect

Nabokov was a great writer but the more I hear of his opinions the more I can't stand him

who else /foggy zombie for the first half of the day but all manic in the second half and night/ here?
It fucking sucks, everyone expects you to be at your best in the morning
I just dont get sleepy at night

>opposite
>Hypersomnia

I really need to sleep for 13 hours or more to feel rested. Having to get up after sometimes only 8 hours ruins my entire day and leaves me unmotivated the entire day.

Dreaming is my favorite pastime

>everyone expects you to be at your best in the morning
Feel you.

A simple attitude change worked for me.

Don't go to bed to sleep. Go to bed to rest. Nothing can stop you resting. When you're not focused on trying to sleep, actual sleep comes more easily.

Another good (and more practical) technique is sleep restriction. It's worth a Google, believe me.

Damn that's a comfy picture. Saved.

He really did say some of the dumbest shit.

>Don't go to bed to sleep. Go to bed to rest.
kind of difficult when you have responsobilities that force you to wake up early in the morning or stay awake till late at night.

I like dreams though, they're fun. Especially because I can remember them. My first memory is of a dream.

I recently had a dream where G.K. Chesterton was made to drink liquid Arm & Hammer for an advertisement. He was like, "Can I just spit it out after I give a 'thumbs up'?" And the producer's like, "No, we want to see you swallow that shit for the camera."

How can you even function?

I'm fascinated by dreams as well. I have them frequently, they're usually bizarre/absurd. My gf used to have extremely literary nightmares, I remember she had one in which she was bitten by a snake while drawing water from a well. One of the reasons I wish I could sleep better, I think they're incredibly fecund sources of inspiration.

Nabokov said a lot of retarded stuff, just because he has a way with words.

I hardly do.
It gets really difficult towards the end of the week
where I just have to skip classes
or call in sick if im doing a full time summer job
and use the weekend to reset myself and recover.
I have no idea how I'm going to function
once I have fixed workhours where I can't show up late
but have deadlines and work that needs results or I loose my pay.

>bitten by a snake while drawing water from a well

lol, Freud and/or Lacan would have a field day with that one, then probably fuck your gf in-session. I have to be honest, I would be disappointed by a dream like that; it's almost too easy to analyse. But nightmares often are, since they're unconscious expressions of conscious mental tensions. Did the snake come out of the well, or was it waiting by the well?

Also, yes, I am also desiring longer, deeper sleep at the moment. I was having a good one this morning about Thomas Hobbes deciding not to be such a whiny autist, murdering Cromwell, and taking sole power over the Commonwealth. Then he was confronted with his failings as a ruler and the actual part in Leviathan that says subjects can rebel against a terrible leader, and at that point, my alarm went off. It's very much like stopping a film halfway and leaving it forever.

Not always fun though
Sometimes the emotions (mostly fear, confusion) from your dreams are felt shortly after you wake up and it takes some time to comprehend what happened and to collect yourself.

Read Precis de Decomposition by Emil Cioran if youre looking for someone to hang out with while you can't sleep, insomnia bros.

I recommend this cause he couldn't sleep either and he explains his ideas around that in this book.

Used to worry, but have gotten used it.
I average maybe 3hrs\nt, and have since college. This includes periods of c. 72 hours of just not sleeping (I do force myself to lie still and 'rest,' which was difficult at first) and the occasional wkend morning when I achieve near 8-- I rarely think about it, now, in any detail.