What separates a great writer from good writers?

What separates a great writer from good writers?

the books they write

A certain amount of writing skill.

detailed craftsmanship

luck

The Y chromosome

Meaning. A lot of shit is just written to be cool or "deep."

Also this.

Four letters

Innate talent.

Clout.

lazy sexists should die

their fetishes
read the letters to nora, and you'll know this to be true

Only a misguided fool would attempt to answer such a question—as if there was some sort of formula or an elixir of distinction.

So here goes. It's probably a combination of some of the following:

– A deep love and understanding of language and communication
– The ability to 'commune' with the external
– The ability to translate that understanding into language (cf. the first item)
– A proclivity to listen
– A proclivity to analyse
– Unique insight
– Obsessive compulsion
– Rich familiarity with one's predecessors
– Good ol' Fortune

Jesus. It's been so long since I've posted on Veeky Forums that I forgot greentext was a thing.

I like getting punched in the face by my gf, does that mean I have a chance?

The touch of God.

good writers are british

rich parents

Their writings

Flaming Purpose.

Know, and know how.

Want, and get how.

Dedication, discipline, desire.

Time, patience, passion.

Inner and outer voice and vision.

Encompassment.

What separates a good basketball player for a bad one? The pudding speaks its proof

this
#1 predictor of success

A good writer manages the essential elements of prose, grammar, plot, and syntax effectively.

A poor writer fumbles his prose, muddles perspective unintentionally but tries to excuse it as intentional, can't construct complex verbal structures that adhere to conventional notions of grammar and syntax -- think of short choppy slop like Towel Lynn or diet coke minimalism or whatever, or rivers of poor imitation Proust -- and above all fails to plot coherently.

A great writer generally possesses the capacity to spellbind. He will literally mentally bind you to his work so you can't stop thinking about it. You'll be captive to it. Captivated to the extent that you will read and reread it; you'll read what others have thought about it; you'll begin to rethink and reposition aspects of your life or beliefs by what the text comes to mean to you.

this
combined with greatness

>woolf
>good
>great
pick one

t. buttfrustrated roastie

various energies, moods (maybe variety in general): characters, life like and/or larger than life, memorable,
plot, 'bearable complexity', tensions, payoffs/harmonies, mystery/suspense/thrill. Lessons. Look at all the books that are not considered great, what is their difference (I know this is what you are asking...) maybe some people might say there is very little difference, you may as well pick up any book from any library or thrift store and it may as well be placed in the cannon, and the average person couldnt tell the difference, and if literary snobs were told it was the long lost text of some 15th century scholar maybe they would critically acclaim it. Read bad novels, and then say, how can I make my book twice or more as good as that. Details, "general artistry/touch", flow/rhythm/smoothness