Mere christianity

Just picked pic related up. Should I be expecting interesting insights into Christianity or just a summary of what I should already know?

It's pretty good, it's mostly concerned with morality.

Lewis's laity shows. You'd be better off with a dramatization/narrativization of the ideas -- get the Screwtape Letters.

Lewis and Chesterton are the ultimate brainlet writers.

t. Brainlet

watch CSLewisDoodle on youtube
the guy illustrates section of the audio book

The first section of the book is a gentle argument for accepting the existence of a deity and progresses to why you should seek to respect it and follow its wishes. It's fairly basic, but it's a nice read nonetheless.

If I wasn't already a Christian I'm not sure this book would do much in the way of convincing me of anything. Don't go in looking for strong theology or philosophy. It's more of a layman's walk-through of his beliefs. I would say it's worth reading. It's not a dense book but you'll probably get your time's worth.

While this is true, Lewis is still a great author for Christians. The Four Loves and Surprised by Joy are both top-tier down-to-earth essays.

The Man Who Was Thursday is boss dude. The ending was stupid, but I'm all about the dynamighters which had Chester so shook.

I wish to be forever tossing sticks of dynamite in random windows, forever doing nothing but mindlessly destroying. A vicious, mean, anarchy with no utopian or equalization ideals, seeking no replacement for, only the destruction of, all structures and objects of value.

He is. I simply meant that this isn't apologetics and a new Christian or Christian in need of a simple pep talk would get more out of this book than a nonbeliever. It's kind of like Tozer's Pursuit of God in that way.

See: I would pick up Surprised by Joy before Mere Christianity assuming you aren't a devout Christian. Also I would suggest pic related (The Complete C. S. Lewis Signature Classics ) instead of your OP image, it has everything you need if you like what you get in Surprised by Joy.

The Abolition of Man is a favorite of mine if you want my suggested follow up to Mere Christianity.

>Should I be expecting interesting insights into Christianity or just a summary of what I should already know?
Both, I found some interesting insights when I first read it as an atheist. Then I realized what I had learned was common knowledge among Christians and I was just religiously ignorant and that most people in modern society are also religiously ignorant. So it depends on how much you already understand the Christian faith.

Blames modernity as being the cause of inequality, disenchantment, dehumanization, social breakdown, infidelity, etc; as if any of these problems were new.
>inb4 hur not to this extent

If I wanted to read the rambling delusions of a conservative retard, someone who pulls meaning into his life by throwing stones at all other ideologies, but hestitates in taking the reins of society himself and assuming its problems; I'd read Edward Fesser.

If your into that sort of thing, Chesterton is a far better writer; and doesn't melt into a pile of tears, begging forgiveness when he tells the reader that wives should be subordinate to husbands.

(((You)))

>I don't like your post, but I can't think of a reply; so here's an accusation you're looking for attention.

What is it with all the /pol/theistcore writers lately? What, is Evola not hip and cool anymore?

And why do you /pol/acks always pick the same ones? It's always Lewis, Chesterton, Feser and Peter Hitchens, always boring whiny Christian conservatives, who go all 'le wrong generation' on you, except instead of whining about modern music, they whine about modern morals

The meat of my accusation was that you have the mind of a Pharisee.

The last thing /pol/ Christians care about is being fashionable.

You're right, that's why they insist on telling everyone on Veeky Forums how Christian they are and how bad people are for not being as pious as they are. Because that isn't a massive indicator that they're absolutely obsessed with how they're being perceived by others.

They don't care about being fashionable in the lame stream society, they care very much about being fashionable among the dissatisfied right.

You're confusing their motivation for your own.

What an incredibly stupid reply.

Both those post were deriding "alt-right" Christians as being fraudulent attention-seekers; neither of them have "motivations" for being members of that reactionary strain.

Learn fucking English.

Motivations for belief.

You're projecting your own vanity on others. Like I said, the mind of a Pharisee.

There is no such thing as the alt right so it's appropriate that you put the term in scare quotes.

Another weak reply. They're berating /pol/ Christians for vanity, which means they can only conceive of adopting a belief themselves for vain reasons? They're deriding the /pol/tards for committing the act of vanity, dumbass; you don't have to be vain to know what vanity is.

I'm so happy that one day you'll be dead. You're an embarrassment.

There was no meat in your stupid post.

To the Lewis fans here how many of you actually think his trilema is a good argument?

>completely entry-tier uncontroversial widely loved writers like Lewis and Chesteron
>REEEEEEE POL GET OUT
Peter Hitchens is really the only /pol/core one, if people talking about Feser bothers you then you might as well accuse /leftypol/ of invading this board too

>I'm so happy that one day you'll be dead.

are you angry

Pork is a meat you slimey oven dodger

Pretty sure bait.