You should be able to solve this.

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/preparing_for_aptitude_test_en.pdf
fibonicci.com/spatial-reasoning/test/hard/
youtube.com/watch?v=scPSP_U858k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

b

How did you arrive at this?

When you fold that shape "up" into a cube, then the right-most "diagonal square" will be on top, and the two "black-white squares" will be next to each other. Difficult to explain in text.

Well then, how did you dismiss "A" as the answer?

Actually, now that I think about it, A seems to be the correct answer.

A. The diagonal line on right-most square will always be touching the left (from the perspective shown in cubes a, b, and c) black triangle on the square next to it.

Cubes a, b, and d I meant

The answer is b.

Why not A?

>tfw brainlet

If I can solve it why should I bother solving it?

As poster above said, it's very difficult to communicate this effectively. As the colored-in hourglass in A is to the right of the single diagonal lines, we know that we are viewing the put together cube from the perspective that we are viewing the flattened out cube. Knowing this, we know that if we roll the cube in A toward us two spaces vertically that we will end up with the X facing us. Now, imagine the colored-in hourglass that is on the right in A being rotated 180 degrees counter clockwise. It doesn't end up in the right orientation.

here.
I'm an idiot and forgot to take into consideration that the cube was flipped upside down. The answer is b.

first lets nummerate each side from top to bottom and from left to right
a doesnt make sense because the only possible sides would be 1 5 6 and 1 and 6 are on opposite sides
b is the right anwser because the from the shown sides 1 4 5 , 4 and 5 are connected at the right side and 1 is rotated at 90° 2 times which is the same as just moving the square in the same position 2 spaces to the right

i wish i would be smarter to explain it more clearly but thats how the line of thought should go when solving this problem

B is the answer. Now, how long did it take you to find it?

I must say, it took me several days (because I bounced off of it, frustrated). The final attempt took me over an hour. B looked ok to me, but I wasn't able to eliminate A until I spotted that it couldn't have been 1 (from 's enumeration) that's seen in A's picture and that it could've only been 4 that's seen.
All in all, gives a good explanation.

I honestly just visualized it and B seemed to check out. Then made a crude physical cube out of paper to check myself. No elegant deduction.

I couldn't visualize it for shit. Especially with "lol will that diagonal line touch the dark corner here or the other dark corner there" hurrrdurr.

That was the hardest part for sure. I started with the black hourglasses as they were much easier to track in my head.

So how long until you were fairly sure it's B, but before you actually made a model to check it?

Can't be c because it has 2 blanks.
Can't be d because hourglass is on the wrong side.
Canthe be a because it has lines meeting at the hourglass. The lines don't meet on ours because one of them meets the bottom of the blank. The other meets the top of the blank.

Are you guys fucking retarded? Took me 10 sec to solve. Also, thid is not fkn science, leave this board.

can't be A, when the net is oriented the same way, the single line square adjacent to the white side of the half black square should be facing towards you
can't be C as it has 2 clear squares
can't be D, of the 2 half black squares, one is opposite the clear square and the other is adjacent to the clear square on its white side

B fits without contradictions

>answer

Imagine the shapes as characters.

[△]
[ ] [╳] [▲] [╱]
[╲]

A can be an answer.

1.) Starting from a top-down view look at the [╳].

2.) Raise the [╲] towards you, switch to ground level view facing the [╲].

3.) [╲] has now become [╱]

4.) Raise [▲] and connect it with [╲]

Imagine you are inside the cube and literally standing on top of [╳] so that to your right you see a [╲].

From outside the cube facing [╱] you see [╱] connects with ► and from the inside △ connects with [╳].

5.) The remaining diagonal line [╱] becomes [╲]

The diagonal lines now meet at a point.

[╲] -> ▷
[╱] -> ▶

B can be an answer but I'm not writing it out again.

C cannot be an answer because there is only 1 white cube.

D seems like a plausible answer, but only 1 hourglass will be touching the white square, that hourglass is oriented with the white triangle touching the square. In D you see it is the black triangle.

D has the wrong chirality.
A and B are both possible

Man i used to make cutouts to solve this

I think it's B for sure

A is not possible.

It's way easier than you brainlets are making it. The answer has to be B.

Are you retarded? It's A.

The cross is the base.
You fold up the bottom square, which means it appears flipped when viewed from the front.
The two right squares flip up and over; the second from right square is now on the side and the furthest right square is on the top (so it's flipped when viewed from above).

>Man i used to make cutouts to solve this

that defeats the entire purpose of this exercise

Dude, you're retarded. Just look at the lines I drew. The top square of A has to be the rightmost square with the diagonal slash. The right square with black has to be the second to right square. That would then put the other diagonal slash to the right of the the black and white square, but in A it's to the left.

It's B.

Trying to fold it in my head was too hard. That's when I realized it would be much easier to unfold them in my mind and spot the contradiction. When you try to unfold B the line can't touch both corners of the triangley faces without contradicting itself.

Try it yourself, the line can only touch the shared corner of the triangley sides

sorry I meant to say it's A. A is the correct result.

There is a whole section on the Canadian Forces aptitude test with questions like these, I failed the test because of them. Fuck.

Did they get any harder than this?

Much harder. One third of the test was comprised of these questions, I think it was called "Spacial Awareness".

I think you're assuming that the under side of the shape is colored the same as the top side, which is an assumption.

Don't assume that. You don't have any information to back it up.

/po/ here
it can't be C, there is only one blank space
it can't be D, since blank space only has contact with one of the colored triangled spaces (and it isn't the one pictured)
it can't be A; although the two diagonal spaces will hit a triangled colored space as a point, the colors pictured are inverted from reality
also it is easy to verify it is B
turns out it is easy to visualize this stuff after doing complex origami for so long

are you joking? im being serious. did you actually take so much time to do this?

cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/preparing_for_aptitude_test_en.pdf

here's a practice test for the curious.

i got them all right, but they might have been easier than the actual test.

According to my friend (who applied for RMC and was intent on going the Air Force route) those questions are 100x easier. Wonder how I would've faired (probably would have done no better)

As someone who passed all the tests for Air force recruitment in the IDF I can say that most of the questions are piss easy but some at the end of the standardized test are hard and require minutes of thought and use of the piece of paper and pencil they give you

Anyway, most of time spent was in front of a computer running a flight simulator with a joystick.

Interesting. Since you're I assume a pilot now, do you have any colleagues who are shortsighted but got accepted? Here in Canada pilots with 20/20 no glasses are still preferred, seeing as how I require glasses (-3.75 right -3.5 left) I pretty much fail automatically

Sorry not a pilot, I'm a compsci student because fuck being 12 years minimum in the army iirc I don't have 20/20 "in both eyes" my left eye isn't as good but I still passed all the physical tests.

Even passed the psych test and here I am on Veeky Forums, maybe you're not all schizo NEETs

Yeah, that post is 100% for real. The frustration it gave me! Maybe two hours after I finally have finished this, my eyelid started to twitch for a while from all the nervousness.

The frustration might have been a factor, as my thoughts would distract me, but still, the times I gave in were accurate.

All of the answers depict slightly elongated rectangular prisms, and not the cube the net would make.

Checkmate

After a lot of thought, it seems to be both a and b. Don't ask me"how" I got it, I just did.

Probably it's just because you can fold the cube in different ways
I mean if you imagine to flip the faces towards you (also supposing the faces have the same drawing on both sides) the correct answer is A, while if you flip away from you the correct answer is B, but in this case you don't have to assume what you had to assume in the first case, so the correct answer is B I think

Look at all these brainlets argue

Literally took one attemp of folding each net my head to get (b). I am a chess player though so therefore used to visualising evolving shapes. Does this mean I have good spatial I? Are people who say it's hard trolling?

Thanks for showing us that B is the correct answer.

This is from Mensa Workout btw.

I just visualize the folded cube and check where things aren't possible

Are you in school? If so, what are you studying? If you're not good at visualizing things, are there other things you are good at?

its both a and b you autists

I'm nearly a MS in CS. I don't really like CS or maths. I like music, can recall a lof ot melodies, usually have one playing in my head, I often tap rhythms or knock them with my teeth. I also like rhymes, am good with words, can recall a lot of sayings/song lyrics. What do you have to say about me?

>I'm nearly a MS in CS.
Meaning I only need to write my thesis to graduate.

Cant be d, the blank face shouldnt border the black part of the x

Right I spent way too fucking long on this because apparently I've forgotten a fuck load of what I used to have down in Blender. You're gunna have to trust me that I built the net right, I would animate it being built but that's what I'm struggling with
I'll post a pic of the net after as well to show it's the right net

The fact that it agrees with A while this agrees with B might show that the answer depends on which way you fold the net, if you imagine the central X square as the central piece you could build the net by folding up so the X is then on the bottom, or folding down so the X is on the top

Here's the net

B. But I felt the autistic need to check my work.

Spacial is always the portion of Stanford–Binet I score best on, but clearly it doesn't measure confidence.

B, found C and D wrong withing the first 8 seconds, but I wasn't totally sure it's not A

Not D, as only the horizontal black hourglass is adjacent to the blank panel.

Not C as there is only one blank panel.

Not A, unless you use a mirror.

So B.

Granted, I only folded the object in my head, at first. Coming up with reasons why the others are not right does require a bit of extra work.

You're assuming that the shapes appear on both sides of the paper, which isn't the case

Whats the average response time for this question? Took me about 12 seconds to see it was B

Wouldn't depend on whether you fold it inwards or outwards? I fold it in my head in such a way that the cross is the base of the cube, and I make the folds "towards myself". Doing that, the answer is A, with the face with the diagonal line underneath the base being the front face of the folded cube, and the other face with a diagonal line being the face on top of the folded cube.

B, but A if the cube is oriented inside-out.

Took me just a few seconds after I looked at it...
I actually can't comprehend how one isn't able to fold that in their head.

It took me like 3 minutes. I had no problem folding it, but rotating it in my head gave me trouble. I got around it by folding it in the way that it would wind up with the sides facing how they are in the answers without having to rotate.

also for the people that got it quick, are you able to easily rotate a cube like this in your head?

This question is ambiguous since it doesnt say which way it folds.

>not just doing some masterful papercraft and origami work and doing it yourself
you didn't have to spend hours on it if it was too hard to analyze by sight alone

not the whole 6 sides
but im able to connect 3 sides at a corner and rotate them around the corner

Here you go, you spatially impaired fuckers

fibonicci.com/spatial-reasoning/test/hard/

do you have the balls Veeky Forums?

10/12

somehow i feel like doing origami now

A couple of seconds.

are you kidding me? 15 seconds tops

how do i get better at these

C & C

Lots of modeling and uv mapping for games. 3DSMax/Milkshape/Blender whatever.
youtube.com/watch?v=scPSP_U858k

Took me 5-10 seconds to visualize it, but maybe a minute or two to figure out how to verbalize what was wrong with the others, and about 30 minutes to verify my work in a modeling program.

I guess I see why some folks are saying A, but I never considered the possibility that the shapes would be two sided. Without that leap, the only way I could see drawing that conclusion would be some form of dyslexia.

>I must say, it took me several days
Surely you jest... You could figure it out quicker than that with a pencil, paper, and scissors.

>Without that leap, the only way I could see drawing that conclusion would be some form of dyslexia.
No, folding the sides towards you is the "natural" way to do it. It involves one less step because you don't have to flip the flat over so that the patterns are on the outside.

Seems to me you'd just wind up with just a white box then, as it seems more natural to assume that the "paper" the patterns are on is one sided.

>fibonicci.com/spatial-reasoning/test/hard/
Got all but one of these correct the first try, but this one confuses me, as I don't see any way the black inner triangle would not be paired with a dark blue one.

>you'd just wind up with just a white box
Of course you have to assume it's two-sided, but that's just how my mind works.
>Got all but one of these correct the first try, but this one confuses me, as I don't see any way the black inner triangle would not be paired with a dark blue one.
Yeah, because next to the black triangle is a cut, not a white triangle. That confused me too.

>Yeah, because next to the black triangle is a cut, not a white triangle. That confused me too.
Ah, I see... Meh, quality of the image fails to make that clear, or my mind just inserted a line there.

A is the answer
C and D are obviously wrong.
B is the mirror image of the result, but not the answer.
Anyone who said B is a brainlet pic related

>I must say, it took me several days
Have you ever had your IQ tested? Not to be insulting, but if came out average or above, I'd kinda love to see the results. You might be one of those rare left savants that does fantastic with calculation but can't visualize at all.

>there are people here who actually had trouble with a spatial rotation puzzle
I guess Veeky Forums has more females than we originally thought.

I got 12/12
But I'm not going to pretend it was easy. The whole time I was wondering if it mattered whether or not I folded into the screen or out of the screen. (I conjecture that if you're given a valid net for a polyhedron, folding it in rather than out produces that polyhedron's mirror image, but I don't have a proof of this). It's true that you're expected to fold out rather than in, but you have to infer that by doing everything both ways and noticing that all the results from folding in fail to appear as choices. With the exception of #6, which is fucking gay and should have been changed or removed.

>You could figure it out quicker than that with a pencil, paper, and scissors.
That would defeat the entire point of the puzzle?