Books you read in school that didn't suck

Frankenstein

huckleberry finn
no country for old men
a pilgrim at tinker creak
journey to the west
dharma bums

The Scarlet Letter desu

You read Journey to the West in school? What grade? For me, K-12 acted as though the entire eastern hemisphere didn't exist literature wise.

my school offered asian literature senior year as an elective

I liked Ragtime a lot back then. I doubt I'd like it much today if I reread it.

I'm from aus.
I did Gatsby, Crucilble, Cuckoo's Nest, Lord of the Flies, I Am Legend.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
A Clockwork Orange
Romeo and Juliet
MacBeth
The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
Fern Hill
Ozymandias
The Eve of St. Agnes

We read some Tennyson, Yeats, Pound and Blake too. That was a fun class

this and A Doll's House

8th grade was amazing, looking back
>Dorian Gray
>Lord of the Flies
>One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

everything kind of sucked till senior year when we read Blood Meridian, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and Arcadia

>implying the entire eastern hemisphere exists literature wise.

Lord of the Flies, To Kill a Mockingbird, Animal Farm, The Great Gatsby and Of Mice and Men,

>people reading stuff like Cuckoo's Nest, Blood Meridian, and Dorian Gray in high school
>when I read generic HS stuff like Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, and Brave New World

wew i guess i should have taken the AP classes

I took AP classes and the only difference is that I now know the Prologue to Canterbury Tales in Middle English

still got dem 5's tho

>most American high schoolers got to read from the western canon
>the majority of my hs books were by ethnic authors to deviate from the norm and give us a more secular perspective
>missed out on basically every classic that is traditionally read in high schools
>fucknig 20 years old and havent read lord of the flies, animal farm, great gatsby etc.
>have to read HS classics on my own because i didnt get to have them spoonfed

FEELS FUCKING TERRIBLE

Brace new world, Shane, where the red fern grows, the hobit

AP English was honestly as easy as hell compared to AP Chem and AP Physics

>fucknig 20 years old and havent read lord of the flies, animal farm, great gatsby etc.
>have to read HS classics on my own because i didnt get to have them spoonfed
You must not have learned much spelling or syntax from those diverse writers. Stop bitching and read them now if you feel like it, faggot.

AP Physics was easy as fuck, Chem was the only hard one also French

I got a fucking 2 in French

King Lear
Benito Cereno

>I got a fucking 2

Out of what? The fuck is that grading system?

I remember taking AP classes in high school. They were all a fucking joke, especially AP US history. I didn't finish a fifth of the multiple choice section because I had to take a monstrous shit mid test, and I still managed to get a 3.

of mice and men

AP tests are scored out of five

I'm going to take the AP Chem and AP Stats, what would yall recommend I read before then?

It's AP, all exams are graded 1-5. The different tiers determine whether you get college credits. Different colleges have different qualifications. For example, at say a midtier Public University a 3 or above will give you college credit for a course, (sometimes a 4 or 5 will give you even more), but at say Harvard, only a 5 counts (if that).

A 3 is typically the bare minimum for passing, so a 2 is pretty bad. Also, it's worth noting, this is just how the AP grades your final exam. Your actual course grades (for your GPA) do not depend on it. I got an A in AP French, but a 2 in the exam so I didn't get any college credit.

AP tests are out of 5
just like, you know, letter grades

The Barron's guides I guess?

Stats is one of the easiest I wouldn't worry about it. Chem though, wew boy. The good news is that most people do terrible so you can miss like half and get a 4

>Stats is one of the easiest
the teacher made it sound like it was on par with Chem, that's cool then.

Somebody in Chem said they needed to get a five on the English AP to get into their dream college (I think Vanderbilt, not sure). Has anybody here taken the English AP test?

yeah. getting a 5 on either english AP test is ridiculously easy after taking the class and having the essay form drilled into your skull. would probably require like 2 hours of work otherwise.

>Vandy
>someone's dream college

lmao

High School
The Odyssey
Death of a Salesman
Moby Dick
Lord of the Flies
Hamlet
Romeo and Juliet
To Kill a Mocking Bird

Read pretty much all of Shakespeare's non-overly problematic stuff from 6-12th grade. It's hit and miss

College
Childhoods End
Lud in the Mist
Lilith
Various Kafka stories
Do Androids dream of electric sheep

Also read some pretty cool stuff in (((anthropology))) and (((sociology)))
My anthropology teacher was a hippy dude that the government commissioned to basically collect Intel on a certain communist country's culture. And he was an unironic race realist

21 Balloons and The Phantom Tollbooth were really fucking good books for elementary school.

>The scarlet letter
>The joys of motherhood
>To kill a mockingbird

Mfw

To Kill a Mockingbird
Candide
Paradise Lost
Song of Solomon
The Road to Wiggan Pier

Australia, the only book that wasn't trash was lord of the flies.
I'm in my final year of highschool now, we're doing a book that won a 2014 "women's literature" award and several books about oppression of abos and niggers.

Canterbury Tales
Beowulf
Lord of the Flies
Shakespeare

As by myself
War And Peace
Anna Karenina
Confessions of Tolstoy
Eastern Front Combat
Hill 488
Very Crazy, GI
One Flew over the cuckoo's nest

We read Milton, but my class was always bent on disliking whatever the teacher assigned so the whole experience wasn't that great. Paradise Lost is amazing and they didn't even try to appreciate it.

Dude I loved paradise lost in high school, wrote an essay on how lucifer is the hero and God was an asshole

It was a stupid essay but I still got an A

Sounds like a fun class, I wouldn't have got away with anything but a B for an analysis of how it's actually about coming of age and determination of identity

>8th grade
>english teacher is a Jew
>read only 2 books for the year
>diary of anne frank and number the stars
>spend the rest of the year doing "projects" on holocaust related shit (nuremberg, etc)
>kids in other english classes got to read lord of the flies, great gatsby, old man and the sea

kikes shouldn't be allowed to teach

t b h it is very worthwhile to understand and appreciate what happened in the holocaust, but the interesting perspective isn't the victims'; it's the Germans'.

you read fucking blood meridian in highschool?

i read the road in grade 10 lol

This, Hitler did nothing wrong except incompetent wartime strategy

>missing the point this hard
What makes it interesting is how quickly a population can become radicalized to the point that they're okay with rounding millions of their fellow countrymen up into concentration camps

Iliad
Odyssey
Great Gatsby
Brave New World
Animal Farm

Well, you know, instances of this weren't exclusive to Nazis in history, let alone in its own war.

It's also worth noting, if you can imagine for a moment that maybe not all German people were evil, that ethnic divisions ALWAYS exist even among """""""""""""""""""""""countrymen"""""""""""""""""""""""" and that will never not be the case unless we are all mestizos.

i don't think i ever read a book in school.

The only one that held my interest was great expectations

That explains a lot

>Jews
>gypsies
>countrymen
user? You have some reading to do, and I don't mean that in a /pol/ kind of way

Patrician.

Die Physiker by Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Shakespeare
Ibsen

Everything else was like this guy

You're implying most Germans knew what was going on and actively participated in the genocide. But that's incorrect.

feel you matey.

>"""""""women's literature""""""""

Im from Ireland
Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Road, Lord of the Flies.

People said the same thing about Stanford 20-30 years ago.

crime and punishment, brothers karamazov, stranger, a lot of stuff. it's in school reading lista because it's good lol.

>Stanford
>someone's dream college

lmao