Holy shit so linear algebra goes from difficult to easy as fuck when you understand it from a geometric point of view...

holy shit so linear algebra goes from difficult to easy as fuck when you understand it from a geometric point of view. why don't more professors try to make students understand these concepts geometrically / intuitively? does this apply to most (undergrad) math courses? would calculus have been easier if I had read through some proofs and seen some graphs first before each new concept?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ineO1tIyPfM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>needing a visualization aid for something as simple as linear algebra.
Why do brainlets even bother with math? They should go be code monkeys where they can pretend to do math by drawing graphs and try not to drool over their keyboards.

Why do brainlets even bother condescending to other brainlets on their anonymous friendship simulator?

>linear algebra
>difficult
what

Yes we get it. Youre the big dicked math genius who mastered linear algebra at age 7.

>Implying Veeky Forums isn't an autism simulator with condescension as one of the main functions.
Leave it to a brainlet to not understand what their role in life relative to their position is.

learning it from a purely abstract perspective doesn't narrow, to a specific application, your ability to apply the techniques.

Proving subspaces can be hard....:

>check for closure
Done

Yeah but ho do you do that with shit like matrices that have commutative multiplication properties?

>linear algebra is hard

I'm not /that/ bright but even I know that the OP is brainlet af

Because visualizing and gaining a deep understanding of concepts is not for the lazy, it takes hard work and willingness to think about something until it becomes clear.

I'd say about 50% of students in undergrad have no idea what's going on, they're just memorizing how to manipulate symbols. They are not willing to pore over even a basic proof until they get it

Understanding linear algebra from geometric point of view makes it much harder or impossible to understand anything more abstract than [math]\mathbf{R}^3[/math]

It still helps for understanding stuff like determinants and inner products.

Please tell me how geometry helps you understand spaces like [math]{L^p}\left( {X,\mu } \right)[/math].

youtube.com/watch?v=ineO1tIyPfM

yes, imagining 5 or 6 dimensional parallelotope is sooo easy

What?

>they're just memorizing how to manipulate symbols.
>implying math is 100% symbol manipulation

Like how do you remember the projection of a vector into another?
I personally just draw it in R^2. Same for remembering Gram-Schmidt.
Or for the determinant, you know that when it is 0, stuff that have volume have an image that doesn't.
etc

You mean you can't visualize infinite-dimensional space? What are you, a piggot?

captcha: ham road (the one you tread, piggot)

Please tell me more... We all know you are much better than code monkeys.

linear algebra is worthless

Is pure symbolic linear algebra really that difficult for people to understand? I mean, it's abstract, sure, but it doesn't seem much more abstract than any other algebra.

Linear is the only algebra brainlets in other majors have to take. They think it is super hard because they compare it to their plug and chug classes.

The problem is a lot of books and college courses are like "this is a matrix. These are elementary row operations ok next section. This is span." Meanwhile barely anybody has a fucking clue what a matrix represents and are just memorizing patterns on how to solve the homework and quiz problems.

Goddamn the elitism is astounding on here. The implication is that everybody who isn't a math major or physics major is a "brainlet". Some of you cling so desperately to the only thing you have going for you - your above average intelligence.

>The implication is that everybody who isn't a math major or physics major is a "brainlet".
Yes, that is in fact true. Going a step further, many math majors are brainlets because they want to become teachers or actuaries. Face it user: mathematicians are the magicians of modern time. It's clear that people who don't pursue theory of magic are brainlets in the fantasy realm, and the same holds for those who don't pursue pure mathematics in the real world.

Dammit I meant to type "is not" not "is". I can't even meme correctly.

Give me one logical reason for why I should not cling and derive pleasure for my talent?

I do what artists do when they say art os everything. I do what athletes do when they say fitness is everything. You are just salty that in this case you are the inferior one. Go cry me a river m8.

its much easier to understand through set theory tbqh