Technology class in middle school

>Technology class in middle school
>Designing CO2 canister race cars out of blocks of balsa wood

>I make a design in our aerodynamics simulation program with my smart math bros
>Make sure the drag is absolutely minimized and the car also looks cool
>Spend days just on the design since the software is clunky
>Meanwhile, the jocks are goofing around talking to girls all day procrastinating
>"Haha, I'm going to beat all of their dumb asses"

>Finally get my design finished and the numbers are all great, I've looked at other people's designs and they aren't as good as mine and my bros
>Sculpt my race car painstakingly and make sure it's perfectly symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing, shaped just like pic related

>Jocks are rushing at the end and putting in no effort, laughing with each other and drinking water out of their milk jugs to get hydrated for the "big game"
>They just make these generic triangular blocks with paint on them, red and black and flames and stuff

>It's time to race
>I volunteer first to show off
>I get a great time and I'm in second place by a small margin, me and dude celebrating

>Jocks come up, laughing at each other that everyone else tried
>Their attach their heavy non-aerodynamic blocks to the track

>Somehow they beat all of our numbers by a large margin despite putting in 0 effort and having a design that was not aerodynamic at all according to the simulations, it's the "default" shit tier design
>Teacher gives them a little prize and names them the winner, all smiling and saying "nice job wow you must have worked a lot on those"
>They walk out so proud flirting with the girls they're going to bang after the "big game" slapping their asses

There ride never ends

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheelspin
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You should have said it was as uncreative as their taste in women and busted out your 2d anime waifu.

sore loser

You made it aerodynamic, sure

But you took away so much mass that it was significantly slowed by axle/wheel friction

It's all in the wheels OP.

Also
>>not replacing the CO2 canister with a nitrous oxide canister
>> not turning the body of the car into fuel for a hybrid rocket engine
>> not soaking the front portion of the car in nitric acid to turn it into nitrocellulose
>> not having the car blast off hitting the finish line at over mach 1, exploding into a ball of wooden shrapnel, injuring a significant portion of the competitors

It's almost as if you didn't want to win.

>The Virgineer
Vs
>The Chadracer

Hard luck man.
I remember having to design and build a bridge out of a set amount of A4 paper. It had to cover a certain span and support the teachers brick for a set time.
I put a shit load of effort in and lost miserably to the douches who cheated, one used fucking wooden dowels for fuck sake and removed them straight after while the teacher was testing others. Others used a ton of glue and obvious extra paper.
All of us who took the challenge seriously were btfo.
Teacher basically didn't give a fuck, too busy perving at the girls tits and making jokes with the chads.
You may as well learn now that life isn't fair

Theres a problem in engineering that this really signifies. People will find a problem and solve it without doing the work that is uncomfortable. You did do an aerodynamic analysis, but you didnt do a dynamic kinetic analysis. I see q lot of people with failing concepts because the with do a great thermodynamic analysis but no heat transfer analysis.

You cant ignore what isnt comfortable for you to do if you want competitive results.

Besides, belittling people who fairly beat your ass in the races because they live happier lives isnt an argument.

I nearly spat out my cereal

Painting it RED makes it go FASTER

Could you use magnets to reduce this?

I guess just proper lubrication would be more weight efficient.

I deal with loser virgin fags every day that think they're smart or special because they're dorky four eyed cunts.

They are never as smart as they think and routinely get outperformed academically then go home to masturbate while I fuck hot bitches.

I grew up in an era where being a nerd got your ass beat, so I hid it and learned to go to the gym. Now a days you faggots freely flaunt your "nerd shit" and people think it's edgy and cool. There is nothing cool about being an undesirable sloppy piece of shit.

I don't understand, why does taking away mass increase axle friction?

The axles were heavily greased and used straws for additional friction removal on the internal axle shaft. Less mass would decrease internal axle shaft friction, why wouldn't it?

Are you saying I made it so light that the wheels no longer touched the ground and they instead dragged before picking up angular momentum, causing drag on the wheel's surface against the track?

It's been a while since I've done freshmen physics but isn't there some static friction less mass would have a harder time overcoming?

>I deal with loser virgin fags every day that think they're smart or special because they're dorky four eyed cunts.
>They are never as smart as they think and routinely get outperformed academically then go home to masturbate while I fuck hot bitches.
>I grew up in an era where being a nerd got your ass beat, so I hid it and learned to go to the gym. Now a days you faggots freely flaunt your "nerd shit" and people think it's edgy and cool. There is nothing cool about being an undesirable sloppy piece of shit.
Your story is ascribing positive qualities to these jocks which did not exist

How did they outperform anyone? They fucked around and accidentally ended up winning due to factors they did not intend or know anything about, and made fun of people for even trying to win

Oh yes I vaguely that static friction from freshman physics as well now. The increased momentum would overcome it and therefore decrease drag, but this drag decrease benefit would have to not be negatively overcome by the fact that the increased mass of the vehicle would decrease the effectiveness of the reverse force the CO2 can is exerting. I guess it did in this case

Your big mistake: TESTING

I'm a mathematician & engineer and I can tell you that simulations are completely superseded by testing; should've compared your model to the default/similar makes. Also,
that design looks really back-heavy and unstable to perturbations, I'm surprised it didn't wiggle itself out during the race.

Would it be allowed to use a spring to eject a massive object from the backside?

That would be a great way to get a burst of momentum and allow even heavy vehicles to overcome that initial static drag, if it exists as you suggested

That however was not allowed in this contest lol

9.8/10

> generic **triangular** blocks with paint on them
So they are reasonably aerodynamic
>They attach their heavy ... blocks to the track

The C02 cannister has maximum thrust initially then tapers off. It is this initial thrust that will give the heavier car more initial momentum
and carry it to the finish line. So the heavy simple car kind of stores energy better.

minimal drag would be a car without a body.
but that doesnt drive very well now does it?

Are you american? This sounds like a B movie plot

in my day this was basic bitch shop 1 where you might as well glue wheels to the co2 canister because this shop class is for retards but is prerequisite to get into shop2 aka adv. tech. ed. where you get to play with saws and be maintenance man for the school.

pmsl

The vehicle body may be aerodynamic but did you model the design with the wheels attached? The exposed wheels will add resistance.

Also you missed out on monotonically increasing cross section until it decreases monotonically at the end. It decreases along the middle and then it increases again.

Also the end is too blunt. A tapered end is more important than a tapered leading edge.

Taking away mass does not increase axle friction, it actually decreases it. However, the momentum of the car is the only thing carrying it after the CO2 canister is expended(see almost immediately). As you probably know, momentum=mass*velocity. When you remove almost all of the mass you also remove almost all of the momentum the car has at an equivalent velocity. So to summarize, less mass means a little bit less friction in exchange for A LOT less momentum to carry your car against the force of said friction.

tl;dr: The ratio of firction to momentum was increased by removing almost all of the momentum.

/thread

>consider yourself smart
>don't understand that heavier things have more inertia
Dummy.

So...obvious.

Imagine how stoked they'd be to find out that after completely fairly beating your ass you then went on a North Korean Whitespace website to whine about it

>10 years later

This clearly never happened and is bait but at least it provided some interesting comments and not complete trash.

nice

>at an equivalent velocity.
Bad assumption. The lighter the car is, the higher a peak velocity it should attain at "burnout." Mass ratios, yo.

hey i know a guy named jacob cox

Made one of these in a Tech Ed class. Basically you just have to make it as light as possible. Aerodynamics have very little to do with it. Just shave off all that youre allowed and boom, F A S T guy.

If you design was beaten by the default car shape, that means you were missing more things in the simulations. Remember user, a simulation can give any fucking result, is your work to make sense about it

>over engineer your car
>performs poorly
>still expect praise because you spent a lot of time on it

I won second place in the national Boy Scouts when I was 10. My dad had no hand in the design.

That needle nose design sucks. The wheels are plastic (no fucking traction) so it has to be nose heave.

I drew up a tear drop kind of shape that was front heavy, almost exactly like pic related.

Kek

Reminds me of the time I won my pine car tournament after a shop class ran by the blind department butchered my design which was gonna be a Fzero homage. Ended up salvaging it by making the neck so ridiculously thin and so back heavy when you put the gas canister in it, it was actually leaning backwards on its end. Btfo he entire field so hard and all the naysayers had to eat delicious crow. So TL DR; keep it simple dumb ass and go unconventional.

Holy shit LOL I love you

This sounds like a perfect job interview task to weed out the nerds who obsess over simulations and neglect real-world results.
>B-b-b-b-but it works so well in theory!

>he thinks his car is good
>is literally shit
>only thought about aerodynamics, and did so for days with a computer doing his calculations

>chads thought about weight distribution, aerodynamics, and did all the calculations in his head with zero effort

The chad is just a smart person who was born attractive. You're a dumb person who was born ugly and tries to make up for it by pretending to be smart. Your car has nearly all its weight on the back axle. How do you think it's going to keep traction, especially with a force coming from the back?

>excessive rims
>not realizing you gave your wheel spin startup way more inertia
>Jacob Cox, nigger scientist.
Should have sanded down the inside of your plastic wheels and removed two of the five spokes.

>perving at the girls tits
shameful

>Primary School
>Paper plane competition
>Kids building all these cool designs
>I don't really know how to make a non-shit plane
>decide to just throw a piece of paper
>we are throwing downwind
>throw paper as high as I can
>it catches the wind and flies more than three times as far as the other planes
>Teacher disqualifies me because it doesn't look like a plane
Fuck you Jan

>middle school
reported

that car is so heavy on the back. damn. you should have made the front heavier the bag for maximum gripp.
REMEBER YOU ARE TRYING TO GRIPP
TO GO FROM POINT A TO B IN A STRAIGHT PATH.
YOU ARNET TRYING TO DRIFT. REMEMBER.
your model is flawed.

I would like to add to the ass-destruction of OP by saying that aerodynamics isn't that important at such low speeds.

>Building cars out of Knex in 6th grade to race
>Extra credit for whichever car goes the furthest
>1/2 Puerto Rican/ 1/2 German, 100% Autist friend is in my group
>Wants to be a dictator/ weapons engineer
>Also have a buddy whose dad is an irl engie for Boeing
>Jackpot, just give me the A now
>Everyone is designing stupid shit except for us
>Determined to beat cunty preppy girls because they always act superior even though they just receive massive favoritism from feminist teacher
>Other friend and I come up with a sick design that looks like a drag racer
>Perfect weight distribution, friend is into making gliders and knows his shit
>Autist buddy is skipping blueprint stage because he's such a fucking super genius
>Building a fucking popemobile shaped car in defiance of any and all of aerodynamics
>It's a goddamned box on wheels with a fucking pendulum inside of it
>Remember autist buddy is going though a big pendulum phase right now
>Last week it was gyroscopes
>"What the fuck are you doing you kraut spic"
>"It's going to regulate the speed, this race is about distance, not velocity"
>Keeps prattling about superior German engineering and us not being able to understand it
>Throws an absolute fit and REEES when we try to take it apart to build our nice car
>Everyone lines up at the start line
>Engie buddy and I are standing in the corner with our faces somewhat covered
>Everyone pushes cars and immediately, all attention goest to the Retardmobile
>The pendulum pushes the car forward, then slows it down, repeat ad infinitum until the car stops
>"LOLOLOL WHO THE MADE THAT WAS IT YOUR CAR user"
>M FUCKING FW
>Give my autist friend shit 15 years later, every time I see him about "regulating his speed"
>He is not a weapons engineer or a dictator, he is a NEET dating a gay stripper

I approve of this.

You lost for a very simple reason. If the car looks anything like the picture your aerodynamic design convert a big portion of thrust into vertical force making your car heavier.

Also a lot of turbulence behind your front part of the car, the lines of the body should follow streamlines.

shit man BAHAHAHAHAHA

I love doing that to people like you. You spend so much time in simulations and design that you never understand what you're trying to build. Every project I've ever built has come out as the ugliest, shittiest looking design you could imagine and it always, always, always beats out everyone else. Especially designs like yours which are meticulously designed and thought up to be the final product before you ever test it. Do you know why I always win? I test. I modify. I build with whatever expendable bullshit I have laying around so I have no hangups about changing things or trying something that could work better. And it always works better. You need to realize that there are always things you don't know about a design until you try it, and there's always ways to make it better that you would never find if you design it to be a final design before it's ever physical hardware.

>aerodynamics
Did you expect your car miniature to go past 60mph or something?

A regular old car running down the hill with brakes disengaged will beat a matchbox car any day.

I came for this except

>Chadesigner

Dear Brainlets
Mass is required for wheel traction.

Sincerely

Chad Mechanic

Is that the leaked script of 2 Chad 2 Furious

>Mass is required for wheel traction.
the force reaction that drives the acceleration/velocity is not transferred through the wheels to the ground in a CO2 derby car. Its non friction dependant

>Its non friction dependant
I think you should read what a wheelspin means. It eats into your momentum, not friction.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheelspin

Also see

>Your story is ascribing positive qualities to these jocks which did not exist
Winning is positive.

>How did they outperform anyone?
By winning.

>They fucked around and accidentally ended up winning due to factors they did not intend or know anything about, and made fun of people for even trying to win

You didn't even test if your design outcompetes the "default" design (it didn't). They had wisdom enough to follow convention and won fair and square.

>gingerbread house building contest in middle school
>my group makes a scale model of a gothic cathedral in our city, sanding the edge of every piece so they fit perfectly together
>the winner is a nothing but a cube with sides sticking out across the corners, slathered in icing and haphazardly glued on candy in all colors to resemble a "hotel"

the map is not the destination

I feel bad that you didn't get any (You)s for your long and (no doubt) interesting post, but not enough to actually read it.

>3m comes to school to promote engineering. Have to stack books on a structure made from tape and 10 sheets of rolled paper. Make 6 columns. Stack over 40 textbooks. Remove the false ceiling to stack more. Run out room to stack. The chads are rock hard.

>science fair
>actually build a structure frame out of rectangular wooden blocks
>build another structure. intentionally fuck up structural design
>buy a varnish machine to apply dynamic earthquake load
>show clearly how a sturdy frame is resilient to loads
>disqualified because I was registered under the wrong competition

>pendulum phase
>last week was gyroscopes
kek