Why does EVERY student have the Apple Mac?

Why? What is so good about it?

Nothing. It's just to show how "rich" they are.

smart people were fed up with helping stupid users with their PC problems, and told them "macs are easy to use"

Good hardware with a god-tier desktop Unix OS.

> mac os
> god tier unix

Yes, it's also the choice of many old time Unix hackers (such as bwk and rob). Surely you don't use a server OS like linux to do your computing?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>MacOS
>Reliable
>Almost Virus Free
>Uttrafast and Optimised
>Takes Me !0 min to render a 15 gb 4k video in final cut pro X
>Every software available on torrent
>Doesn't heat up much
>Uber Sexy in looks
>Comes with free bootcamp to install and run any windows version by double booting for free and made by apple .
>Bootable Kali linux works like charm with external wifi adapter
>Unix Terminal
>Linux distros run smoothly in Virtual Machines
>MAC MASTER RACE
>Windows sucks and your mom swallows

i've been a winfag/linux user for my entire life. literally have never owned an apple product in my entire life
i don't know what the fuck it is but i have an inexplicable urge to buy a mac now and i can't explain it
it's probably apple putting stuff in our water supply i guess

I go to a pretty shit university with low tuition, and while apples are certainly common, the use of writing utensils are rather diverse. There's a pretty even spread of laptops and pen/paper. Id love to see if theres relation between higher tuition and apple laptop use.

>MacOS
>botnet
DROPPED

>engineer school
>no macs

please back to /g/

Fashion accessory you can't live without. Not that a virgin loser such as yourself would get the importance of proper social etiquette.

>the virgin undergrad (likely to drop out after year 2) : apple products
>the international scholar, published 100's of papers by the end of first year: (old ) lenovo products

> MAC IS TERRIBLE
>MAC UNTIL VERY RECENTLY WOULDN'T ALLOW THIRD PARTY REPAIR
>MAC HAS A SHIT HEAT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
> MAC IS DESIGNED TO FAIL
> MAC IS AWFUL AND SO IS THE FACTORY SERVICE
>Mfw I'm pc for life

Comes with a free copy of "Complaining about student loans while using designer products 101"

macs are disgusting and you deserve to be mocked for using one. their only redeeming quality is that the builds are slim and the screens look nice

pro: the OS is a unix
con: the company is Apple

Because they are unironically the best laptops out there. Apple can achieve perfect optimization between software and hardware because they make both.

If you aren't a gamer or a programmer, there is no reason not to have one.

>Apple can achieve perfect optimization between software and hardware because they make both
lol sure. looks like their gay commercials really worked on you

I have used Macs for 7 years. I speak from experience.

>implying you have any experience with optimization between software and hardware

if you aren't a gamer or a programmer, what's the point of buying a stupidly expensive laptop just to check mails?

Bought mine 6 years ago when I was a freshman. Still using it to shitpost.

Have a PC as well that I built after graduating

protip: macs are PCs

Stop being pedantic, you know what I meant. I have a home tower computer with Windows 10®! Better?

Anyone else go to a university where laptops aren't used during class?
I'd say it's just because it's not helpful in my engineering classes, but in the classes I took for my business minor no one used laptops either.
And before anyone decides to bring it up, yes we obviously used laptops and computers in class for shit like solidworks and matlab and anything else that required one.

I do like the idea of the logistics of their systems with everything pretty much standardised. I wouldn't own one, but for the average computer user I understand why they do.

It makes sense with the standardisation though. Easier to update/fix when everyone uses the same stuff. It's why everything in my house that needs a changeable battery is AA.

in my experience everyone that used laptops did nothing but browse reddit and facebook
also
>professor has powerpoint slides on the screen
>every dick with a laptop is looking at the same slides on their screen
>15 minutes into the lecture they're all alt-tabbing to their web browsers

It wasn't until I got all the core curriculum classes out of the way that students weren't on laptops
I assume it's because they're kind of useless in physics/math lectures unless you're making some difficult calculations

I don't know if it's common across most campuses, but I got my Mac as a gib from a scholarship, and I know a lot of other people that either got theirs from a scholarship as well or purchased theirs cheap from someone that got a Mac for a scholarship. It's possible that Apple just pumps so many Macs into campuses that it's easy to get one

It's a fashion statement saying that you are rich. For school use, which is usually word processing, presentations and web browsing, you can get much cheaper alternatives. However, you'd look poor and students rather piss money and buy stuff that makes them look like they have some sort of status.

paid nearly full price for mine, minus the small student discount (

It is because it is a self-perpetuating problem.
People see other people with Macbooks, so they naturally assume said Macbook must be decent, so they buy one too. They then contribute to the populous of people with Macbooks, which, in turn, sways the other ignorant consumers to purchase Macbooks.

The people usually using these are 'normies' which use it as a $2000 facebook machine. Since it browses facebook fine, then they have no complaints. Since they have no complaints, the laptop doesn't seem bad to other 'normies'.

There are the rest of us who need lightweight workstations get Thinkpads.

I go to a "public ivy."

From my experience:
>majors that do programming use a thinkpad or similar mid-range windows device
>Math majors use pen (yes PEN) and paper or the rare Surface pro. There's also the ultra rare ipad, but they tend not to bring laptops to school.
>Everyone else has a macbook pro

Part of it is that the campus uses Mac OS almost exclusively, so the school discourages people from getting PCs and gives discounts on Mac devices. Makes sense but I wonder what the deal between Apple and the school is.

They're nice to use and very light and compact to carry around.

this
also they're light and portable
t. mathfag who develops *nix software

except every research advisor i've worked with except for one has done most of their work primarily on a macbook of some sort
my most recent advisor is a highperformance computing guy and he designed the architecture for a few of Argonne Nat'l Lab's super computers
guess what he develops and writes on
you have [3] attempts remaining

>Math majors use pen
damn fucking right we do
do you think i wanna look back on virgin faded grey blurry """""notes"""" or
>CRISP
>BOLD
>PRECISE
chad tabulations?

lol
what if I have a new lenovo product?