Do matrices ever show up outside of linear algebra?

do matrices ever show up outside of linear algebra?

Other urls found in this thread:

math.uwaterloo.ca/~hwolkowi/matrixcookbook.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you can have groups of matrices, and rings of matrices, and matrices are involved in representation theory which is important in number theory and physics etc.

A lot math become simple matrix operations using theory representation, measure theory over groups, matrix operations end up using in signal process,diff eq,calculus vector,combinatories,coding theory,probability,....

i was told representations are actions but in a linear case. is that true?

Nah they're pretty rare. I've literally never seen them outside of linear algebra.
>t. Computer Scientist.

They are used quite a bit in vector Calc and diff eq; which is the math that is applied most for low level physics and engineering.

Are you retarded?
>Computer graphics

Average CS end up work as software developer.
Computer graphics begin few areas you need real level math in CS.

math IS matrices

Pretty much everywhere in image processing and prevalent in quantum mechanics.

basically all graduate level cs is built on linear algebra

Average CS don't take grad class.

They aren't computer scientists. They're code monkeys with 100 IQ.

Yes. Just the other day I saw a few matrices standing outside home depot.

some schools teach that stuff undergrad :)

ITT everyone calls each other a brainlet on a iranian foot fetish forum

Did you invert them?

couldn't; they were singular. kind of sad for 40 year old matrices

Only in every other branch of mathematics.

Yes they're used a lot in EE

Can they be 3d like a cubix?

Senior software engineer here. Just want to let everybody know that consistently the worst programmers I've worked with have been math graduates that couldn't find work and so slimed their way into development (and women). It's well known that math / engineering people write shitty spaghetti code.

Nice way to rationalize your math incompetence. Perhaps someday you will actually believe in what you are saying.

>Senior software engineer here.
Nice LARPing, 8/10

Nobody cares you pajeet

Yes, begin say math grad begin so autist, only math grad had enough math knowledge to work in Machine learning,Distribute System,Compute Graphics,Simulation,CiberSecurity,...

Matrices have applications in physics, and in abstract algebra the square matrices with real entries furnish examples of rings lacking commutative multiplication (which is not intrinsic to rings, but still instructive).

There's also some thingy that you do with matrices where you plug in some trig shit and you can use it in your computer program to rotate figures, polygons and shit on the screen.

Is this bait?
LA shows up literally everywhere, I've seen it in computer graphics, computer vision, numerical methods, machine learning and computational classical mechanics.
You must be one of those brainlet CS guys that Veeky Forums always goes on about.

It's used a lot in statistics

Look up Markov chains for a simple application for matrices.

There's a so called framework of "additive categories" which is essentially the most general setting in which some form of matrix algebra makes sense. Considering that this is extremely general category theory I'd say matrices show up WAY outside of linear algebra.

They are used fucking EVERYWHERE.

That's bullshit. The only time after my undergrad where I saw a more complex structure than a group (in the sense that the theory of that structure was used) was some work on probabilistic automata.

I'm sorry to hear that you were tricked into believing that your software engineering education was computer science.

I'm sorry that you think that numerical methods are the only active research areas in CS

Inertia tensor in mechanics
Numerical analysis

Sadness part about computer science begin B.S and M.S in computer science begin just factory of software engineering.

you can rotate vectors with matrices easily
no need for computers

Differential geometry

Differential geometry is pretty much just multilinear algebra + some properties of smooth manifolds though, so I don't think that counts.

yea statistics

Ya they never show up outside linear algebra.
Just like addition never shows up outside arithmetic

Machine Learning. I used matricies all day err day

Highly recommend the matrix cookbook
math.uwaterloo.ca/~hwolkowi/matrixcookbook.pdf

Wasn't there a movie about a matrix?

t h i c c circuit diagrams need matrices for speedy solving

neat

Used a shit load in statistics

quantum computing

>write shitty spaghetti code.
they did on purpose, for their job security

well you must be a pretty shit computer scientist then

> what is a covariance matrix

no, math is the logical arguments made using matrices

thats the theme of this whole board though. why is this thread special?

they must've been spending too much time with their pseudo-inverses

lol eng equation, modelliig, system analyses,

all of them thanks to matrice

ase
sa
esa
ea

stupid fags

This has GOT to be bait

A representation is a linearization of a group, in that (by definition) it constitutes a linear map from the group to a subset of square matrices of some dimension.
Furthermore, the representations are required to preserve the group structure, and thus:
If D is a representation of the group:
D(g_1)*D(g_2) = D(g_1#g_2)
where * refers to matrix multiplication and # refers to the group action.

In theoretical physics (especially in Yang-Mills theory), force fields are often described as vectors whose components are elements of a general symmetry group. In YM theory, this would be a semi-simple Lie group. To compute measurable quantities associated with these things we use representation theory and thus the group elements take on values as some matrix of a particular dimension. Thus we use linear algebra to solve problems in physics.

That's the most complicated example I could think of, but there are many other more trivial examples.

>do matrices ever show up outside of linear algebra?
the answer is: no, they do not.

but the catch is: linear algebra is FUCKING EVERYWHERE.

Everywhere, they're simply a compact way of representing systems of equations. Therefore any field which involves working with systems of equations is bound to be notated in matrix form.

B I G
B O Y
J O R D A N
C A N O N I C A L
F O R M

Using it in quantum chemistry.

almost as much as elementary algebra

never

>Nice LARPing
kek

Not sure the level of everyone here but:

A matrix is a FUNCTION

so thats why all linear algebra courses end with eigenvalues and their applications

>so thats why all linear algebra courses end with eigenvalues and their applications
*inhales*

you're kidding right, was that a linear algebra class for engineers or something? if that's as far as you got you barely got taught any linear algebra at all

No, this is wrong, young one. A matrix, like a polynomial, is an expression, or an object. Let me know just what it is about the matrix

[eqn]

\begin{bmatrix}

1 && 2 && 3 \\
Washington && Tennessine && Q \\
xD && memes && \aleph_{0} \\

\end{bmatrix}

[/eqn]

that makes it a rule which takes some input and gives you back some output.

I've seen them a lot as a ChemE. When you have process equipment with a number of stages, you have the same equation applied to each stage, package all that into a matrix and do matrix shit to solve it. Although you never actually do that, you just rely on computers designed to do it.

we used them a lot in our circuit theory classes, they are pretty mandatory

Software engineer here
nope, never used it since precalc
don't really see any application to them

used lots in 3d engine development

the joke is that I use matrices almost daily

nigga I just now used a determinate to calculate the moment of a crane in 3 dimensional space.

t. undergrad hoping to become a CivE

Yes it shows up in big data, machine learning and a lot of "modern" algorithms but brainlets programmers aren't aware they're unknowingly using it. So to answer your question, yes but none but the guys making the algorithms will know.

stop

it is a linear map on the ring of matrices with elements in the free module generated by {1,2,3,Washington,Tennesine,Q,xD,memes,N0}

>CivE
tons of demand, but that's for a reason