What were you made to read at school?

>be me
>a sci-fi writer
>Speaking to some Serb friend
>I mention that the only book I read during my time at high school was Of Mice and Men cause it was compulsory for my English exam
>He laughs
>I insist what I previously stated
>He asks with some laughter still in his lungs, 'so you didn't read Shakespeare; or Ivanhoe at school?'
>'No, we watched the Romeo and Juliet film with Leonardo DiCaprio;' I said 'and then analysed the Mercutio/Tybalt confrontation scene as it was said to be on our exam.'

There was a pause after his laughter died and then he sent me this. All I did in English was write pretend newspaper article and persuasive letters.

So my question is...well, the title of this thread. I'm English btw

Other urls found in this thread:

kgz.hr/hr/za-djecu-i-mlade/lektira/popis-lektire-za-gimnazije/1681
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just asked what my girlfriend read while at school; she said of mice and men as well but she also read The Outsiders.

most better known shakespeare works
bible
epic of gilgamesh
beowulf
great gatsby
homer
select other greeks
if you took latin at my school you read virgil and stuff like such as
in spanish we read stuff like marquez and borges (en español)
1974 brave new world
catch22 slaughterhousefive
i dunno lots of books

Interesting topic OP. Frenchfag here, let's try to remember

Molière, Dom Juan
Molière, Tartuffe
Molière, Les précieuses ridicules
Corneille, Le Cid (not so sure)

Zola, Au bonheur des dames
Balzac, La recherche de l'absolu
Kafka, La métamorphose
Flaubert, Trois contes

E.M. Remarque, A l'ouest rien de nouveau (history class)

Yeah we study a lot of theatre, I guess it's because it's easier to read when you're 13-14

Long live Serbia.

OP here, if you're still interested in theatre I'd recommend a book called The Empty Space by Peter Brook

Italian reporting in. You can't be serious.
They made us read and analyze both Macbeth and Hamlet in English. British education can't be that bad.
tfw US education is probably that bad

>Elementary School
We read King Lear in some special meetings for gifted students I went to every week. I couldn't understand it and failed all the work so they wouldn't let me back in next year. Other than that, the closest thing to Veeky Forums was Lord of the Flies. The rest were various Children's books I forget.

>High school
>Freshmen:
J. Meade Falkner's Moonfleet, a rather mediocore adventure book. Would choose Treasure Island over it any way of the week.
Twelfth Night
Pick your own, I chose Catch-22

>Sophomore
To Kill a Mockingbord
Romeo and Juliet
pick your own, I chose The Crying of Lot 49

>Junior
Frankenstein
Macbeth
pick your own, I chose Kafka's The Castle

>Senior
The Great Gatsby
Hamlet
pick your own, I chose Wuthering Heights

I think I went to a shit school or something, because... well just look at these choices. Also, apparently everyone I talked to in university had literature and poetry courses in high school, and we just had plain English class where most of it was learning how to write essays and shit.

We were meant to read Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, Holes and Private Peaceful but we'd just watch the films. We read the first four chapters of Private Peaceful but never went back to it if that counts for something.

During middle school they made us read moralistic children-oriented books that bored everyone to tears. During the first year of high school we read a Brazilian classic (Dom Casmurro) but then they dropped the required reading and focused on teaching techniques to pass our SAT-like test. Literature classes were a fucking joke.

>focused on teaching techniques to pass our SAT-like test

Through high school we covered
A very generous unit on Greek society and culture that included the Illiad and the Odyssey (in honors English anyway)
Half of Shakespeare's works or so
Various "classics"
A shitty unit on trascendentalism
Various diversity books

I had to read a lot more pseudy stuff in college ironically

3 books a year?

nice dubs + that's not that bad a selection for an introduction to lit desu

>Elementary
To Kill a Mockingbird (actually the teacher read it to us)

Various Goosebumps and Cam Jansen books. Got bored of Cam Jansen at some point.

>Middle
The Giver

The Outsiders

>High
A book about a Chinese girl going back to China to meet her biological parents. I forgot the name but i didn't like it anyways.

Could've read Hunger Games but I didn't get to.

Hamlet and Macbeth

I actually had a hard time reading Shakespeare because the play format always ticked me off. It just made me want to watch the play since I actually enjoyed the story and the analysis.

Overall I enjoyed The Giver the most and am having a hard time understanding why To Kill a Mockingbird was read to us in Elementary. Shouldn't it have been Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn?

I'm going to list the name in iltalian becouse i don't know the english name, sorry in advance

>Elementary
Storia di una gabbianella e del gatto che le insegnò a volare (Sepùvelda)

Cuore (de Amicis)

>High school

The hell part of the Divina commedia and Vita nova (Dante)

Decameron (Boccaccio)

Operette morali (Leopardi)

Orlando furioso (Ariosto)

Locandiera (Goldoni)

La coscienza di Zeno (Svevo)

Il fu Mattia Pascal (Pirandello)

Plus a lot of petry, but i don't remember.
Sadly i went to a technical school, so no greeks for me

Not who you're replying to but I'm a brazilian as well, I don't remember the exact situation but a portugese teacher once told us "there is literally no reason to read these books, you only need to get a good enough grade to get into college".

I had to read a lot more than that after switching schools though, we usually read a canon work of the portuguese language a month and were also expected to provide weekly reports on stuff we could pick from the library, based on which grade we were in

american private school until 4th grade, then public school for the rest of it. middle school i went to a "gifted" school so we read better books than the usual.

>elementary
little house on the prairie (we read like the whole series, it was when I went to private school though)
hatchet
upside down stories from wayside school

>middle
lion, witch, wardrobe
wrinkle in time
ender's game
secret garden
maniac macgee
spoon river anthology
to kill a mockingbird
tuck everlasting
johnny tremain
huckleberry finn
farenheit 451
hamlet
much ado about nothing
lots of historical stuff i don't remember

>high school
tale of two cities
a separate peace
julius caesar
romeo and juliet
the bible (as in literature, it was a dumb unit)
scarlet letter
lord of the flies
to kill a mockingbird
animal farm
great gatsby
catcher in the rye
tuesdays with morrie
hamlet

there's other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting, and like short stories and plays that aren't worth including.

lies
no schools has bible for reading

I didn't finish high school so I didn't get to read much.

I don't remember what books we had to read in all years but in the last three we read:
Galileo by Brecht
Fault in our Stars by Green
Faust I by Goethe
Woyzeck by Büchner
1984 by Orwell
Some irrelevant drama about the Queen of Britain
Macbeth by Shakespeare
And also parts of the Odyssee, the histories by Herodot, Kriton by plato, and some Sappho all of course in ancient Greek. As well as De Bello Gallico, Ciceros speeches and some Catullus poems all of course in Latin.

Not him but I went to catholic school and we did

Oh I forgot Tauben im Gras by Koeppen and the process by Kafka

I'm English too, it seems we read much less in school than other countries. I was in the top group for English and we only read To Kill a Mockingbird (shit book).

I think we read La Celestina, a Galdós novel that I can't recall, Márquez's Chronicle of a Death Foretold and some really terrible Catalan literature. Plenty of poems and plays by Lorca too.

I wish they at least tried to teach us the Quijote desu

I went through the highest form of secondary education in germany in a pretty good school so there was quite some reading:

faust, werther, berlichingen - Goethe
tell, stuart - Schiller
wave - Strasser
scuderi - Hoffmann
trial, several short stories - Kafka
physicists - Dürrenmatt
faber - Frisch
danton - Büchner
agnes - Stamm
death of a salesman - Miller
1984 - Orwell
heart of darkness - Conrad
macbeth - Shakespeare

and some other less importan and more shitty ones I cant remember

English here. State school education.
I only started reading about 5 years after secondary school they put me off it that much. I look at these lists and feel like I was cheated. This is the full extent of my literary education.

Books Read:
A single chapter of oliver twist.
To kill a Mocking Bird
Stone Cold (Young Adult book about a man who killed the homeless because he thought they made the city dirty)

Plays:
Excerpts from Romeo and Juliett.
A view from a bridge.

well of course but not the whole Bible c'mon

The Outsiders, Hinton
Julius Caesar, Shakespeare
To Kill a Mockingbird, Lee
Twelfth Night, Shakespeare
The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald
Lord of the Flies, Golding
Of Mice and Men, Steinbeck
Othello, Shakespeare
Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare
Macbeth, Shakespeare
The Road, McCarthy

Also a shit ton of short stories, poetry, and independent book reports. I went to a public (government) school in Canada. I took no extra literature credits outside of what was mandatory.

Oh, and in grade six my class read Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli, which was the only mandatory novel before high school (which begins in grade nine where I'm from). That being said, there was at least one independent book report a year throughout middle school.

Britbong here. Off the top of my head I can recall at least four Shakespeare plays, 1984, Catch-22, Of Mice and Men, war poetry, some Tennyson, some Chaucer, an assortment of other poets, possibly Lord of the Flies.

And my school was a good one and I did English A-Level, so I guess it might be true that the British education system sucks.

Too much t b h, how did they expect 17 year olds to understand Camus?

kgz.hr/hr/za-djecu-i-mlade/lektira/popis-lektire-za-gimnazije/1681

im just glad there's another il/lit/erate serb here

I attended a bilingual school, so I got the translations of some all time classics and plenty of Hispanic literature.

Iliad - Homer
The Great Gatsby - Scott Fitzgerald
The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Antigona - Sofocles
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carrol
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kessey
Pedro Páramo - Juan Rulfo
The Stranger - Albert Camus
La Ciudad de las Bestias - Isabel Allende
La Celestina - Fernando de Rojas
La Ultima Niebla - María Luisa Bombal
El Túnel - Ernesto Sabato
Six Characters in Search of an Author - Luigi Pirandello
La Vida es Sueño - Pedro Calderón de la Barca
Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Niebla - Miguel de Unamuno
The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka
El Aleph - Jorge Luis Borges
Altazor - Vicente Huidobro
Cien Años de Soledad - Gabriel García Marquez
Don Quijote de la Mancha - Miguel de Cervantes
Rayuela - Julio Cortázar

I think I got it good.

No, standardized testing is a fucking joke.

Camus is for 18 year olds
But yeah, I agree that the number of the books is ridiculous, and generally taught in the driest and most pointless way possible. My prof was luckily very good, so I actually got into lit at that time, and enjoyed reading all of that shit...
But don't worry, Pavo "ctrl+v" Barišić is going to fix all of that now.

The Lord of the Flies
To Kill a Mockingbird
Life of Pi
Kon-Tiki
Romeo and Juliet, Julius Caesar, Hamlet
The Scarlet Letter
The Crucible
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
The Jungle
The Stranger
Crime and Punishment
Beowulf
Things Fall Apart
Heart of Darkness
The Prince

That's just what I can remember.

Also The Great Gatsby and The Metamorphosis

You got it fucking great. Niebla is my favourite book. I always thought Veeky Forums would really like Unamuno, but I don't hear his name often around here.
Also, Six characters and La vida es sueño, top tier.

damn. I was made to read
Romeo and Juliet
some awful contemporary novel about trans people
some awful novel about an autistic kid
Macbeth
(non fiction book of my choice, Orthodoxy)
Hamlet

t.canadian education brainlet

eventually

i only read books that were required for school aswell when i was younger, never read of mice and men until recently, it made me cry

t. cuck

In my private school in Australia melbourne ( all boys ) we were made to read kite runner, an iraqi lad basically witnesses a rape of his best friend and it's boring as fuck.

Romeo & Juliet, Macbeth, Taming of the Shrew, Hamlet
Our Town, Thornton Wilder
Great Expectations
To Kill A Mockingbird
Of Mice and Men
Brave New World
Lord of the Flies
Huckleberry Finn
The Grapes of Wrath
The Great Gatsby
Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
Howard's End
Waiting for Godot
The Stranger
Less Than Zero

various poems and short stories I don't care to recall

>watched that same Romeo and Juliet and O Brother, Where Art Thou?, The Lion King due to its basis in Hamlet, and Much Ado About Nothing
>read Of Mice and Men, Night, Lord of the Flies, The Crucible, Beowulf, Shakespeare's sonnets, Hamlet twice, and The Hunger Games
There would have been more entries but I did basically nothing while home-schooled my junior year and then spent all of my senior year playing catch-up.

The Lord of the Flies
The Giver
And Then There Were None
Romeo and Juliet
All Quiet on the Western Front
Things Fall Apart
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Crucible
Death of a Salsaman
Beloved
Brave New World
Grapes of Wrath
The Things They Carried
I Am The Messenger (Some contemporary shitposter teenshit)

I'm probably forgetting a lot here, but this selection is what stuck with me for better or for worse.
We just watched Apocalypse Now and Hamlet to "make up" for the books. Didn't actually read any essentials until I was about 21.
t. American

The Great Gatsby
Fahrenheit 451
Animal Farm
Lord of the Flies
To Kill a Mockingbird
Romeo and Juliet
Macbeth
Hamlet
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
Beowulf
The Odyssey
The Iliad
Jane Eyre
Frankenstein
The Outsiders
The Giver
Hatchet
Much Ado About Nothing
De Bello Gallico

Most of our time was spent reading short stories and poetry.

>Sophomore Year
To Kill a Mockingbird
various poetry

>Junior Year
bits and parts of thoreau
O. Henry stories
bits of other various American Authors of the Gilded Age

>Senior Year
Bits and parts of Canterbury Tales (read the full version in high school)
Bits of Beowulf (I have read the full version)
How Then We Should Live?
Bible
Pick your british author, and in my case I went with Lord of the Flies

>College
To Kill a Mockingbird

It was in College that I took up the idea of self-teachings, and reading books for your own self as opposed to going to college to learn literature.

meh your country doesn't really matter bro, it's just the specific high school you went to. you can get an insane education by going to hunter high school or some prep school in new york or w/e, or you can go to some shitty school in arizona like me and learn nothing.

i literally read no books during high school and just read spark notes and wrote nice sounding essays devoid of any actual content on books i didn't read and did fine..it just depends on your school, i think.. even then, if i chose to read the few assigned readings all there would have been was romeo and juliet, fahrenheit 451, the jungle, and some other shitty contemporary novels..

Canadian here

In my four years of Highschool we read
>Romeo and Juliet (The Comic)
>Hamlet (The comic)
>The Outsiders
>Of Mice and Men
>MacBeth (The Comic/movie)
>Native novels since English Canadian books are too complicated and French Canadian books are in french

These aren't the teachers, this is the board. If only you'd hear what the teachers say about the board behind closed doors, none the less in front of their students.

i never made it through high school. i spent my time doing drugs and getting pussy and dropped out at 16 and got my GED and now make six figures. i spend my time reading now because i enjoy it.

cool

>Mexico
Absolutely nothing, almost no one reads here.
I started reading by myself in the last 2 years of uni.

Of Mice And Men
An Inspector Calls
Blood Brothers
Romeo and Juliet
27 Romantic poems (incl Shakespeare, Duffy, etc)
The Graveyard Book

user, did you go to my school?

>was in advanced/ap/honor english all through school
>all we read was
>To Kill a Mockingbird
>some whiny holocaust book by elie wiesel, forget the name
>Parts of Romeo and Juliet in old english, retards had too much trouble understanding the old english so we never finished it
>The Great Gatsby
>Wuthering Heights (this book was probably one of the mots boring things I've ever read, 0/10)
>The Scarlet Letter
>The Grapes of Wrath

man

pretty depressing

I remember reading:

Crime and Punishment
Idiot
Catch 22
A World According to Garp
Unbearable Lightness of Being
Laughable Loves
Good Soldier Schweik
War with Newts
Lord of the Flies
Catcher in the Rye
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Decameron
All Silent on the Western Front
The Stranger
The Metamorphosis
Some Shakespeare
The Cremator

And many more, these are just the ones that I can recall at the moment. I'm Czech btw.

>the only book I read during my time at high school was Of Mice and Men cause it was compulsory

YOU WILL NEVER BE A WRITER THEN. FUCK OFF.

I'm English too but we read a lot more than you. Although I went to a state girls school (in Surrey though so we had lots of funding.)

Shakespeare - Macbeth, Hamlet, Othello, The Tempest, Midsummer Night Dream, Merchant of Venice

Beowulf
Great Expectations
To kill a Mockingbird
The Bloody Chamber
Frankenstein
Keats, Byron & Hardy poems
Some Plato & Aristotle in ethics class
Handmaid's Tale
A couple Arthur Miller plays
Ways of Seeing (for Art GCSE)
Dr Faustus - Marlowe
Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time
Genesis
An Inspector Calls
Of Mice and Men

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. You went to a crap school, OP

Oh damn - we also studied Great Gatsby & 1984 & Animal Farm as well. For A level I believe?

>Shakespeare
I will never understand why the fuck do they impose Shakespeare or Cervantes on kids. Its pathetic.
They cannot understand. And if they did it would depress them. Also, forcing them to read such books makes them hate them -they wont be able to enjoy them when they grow up and become capable of understanding them because they have 'already read them'.
Fuck.

>Irish
>"Middle School" (which we call the Junior Cert)
Romeo & Juliet / Merchant of Venice
The Hobbit
To Kill a Mocking Bird
various poems
>"High School" (leaving cert)
Othello
Philadelphia, Here I Come
Curious Incident...
Animal Farm
Of Mice & Men
Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Dubliners
Catcher in the Rye
Derek Mahon
Phillip Larkin
John Donne
Adrienne Rich
Various short stories

I had also read Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Frankenstein, Lord of the Rings, Pride & Prejudice, Anne of Green Gables (mother was a feminist) & Dracula for school reports, and had tried Ulysses and Moby Dick

Only from what I remember, I read:
Cloudstreet (Australian Fantasy novel disguised as just a drama), To Kill a Mockingbird, and 1984.

Most of that is the pretty standard curriculum in Germany, except perhaps Agnes

We had like thirty or so books per year (four years of high school) and we had to read at least half of them every year. First year was the writers from the Antiquity, you know, Homer, Sophocles, Euripides, Aeschlyus etc. Second year was medieval literature. Third year was up to 19th century and fourth year was 19th and 20th century literature.

What the hell is wrong with education in your countries? You read like five books through the entire high school? What did you even do in school? How many classes per week did you have?

Are these threads serious or is this just one big meme to bait us gullible third worlders, like that whole penis inspection thing?

>Are these threads serious
Yes.
Thirty or so books per year is awesome, I didnt even have 5 per year. Crap education.

I only really started to 'get' Shakespeare when I was around 16 or so. It was around that time I saw Titus andronicus at the globe theatre (mid 2000s I think?)
It was then I realised just how fun Shakespeare could be.

Anyway - I somewhat agree with you. I'm a teaching assistant at a secondary school and around 80% of the kids I help have no fucking clue what's going on in Macbeth. But the other 20% (not necessarily gifted or smart kids - some speak English as AFL) really get it and enjoy it.

But then you've got a book like Of Mice and Men and around 90% of the kids get it and enjoy it.

Anyway doesn't matter. Kids are dumb as shit.

What country are you from? That spec sounds amazing.

>What books should we put on the syllabus?

>A handful of native language works that exhibit the core values of our culture and can be studied in-depth, or

>Twenty different books in translation from different cultural traditions and historical periods that students have no understanding of

Another germ man here

Maria Stuart, Schiller
Faust, Goethe
Various romantic poems, mostly Eichendorff
Woyzeck, Büchner
Bahnwärter Thiel, Hauptmann
The Metamorphosis, The Trial and a lot of short stories by Kafka
Confessions of Felix Krull and essays regarding Nietzsche by Thomas Mann
The Good Person of Szechwan, Brecht

I guess our Latin curriculum might also be interesting:

Commentaries of the Corn War by Cornius J. Cornar
Metamorphoses, Ovid (excerpts)
In Verrem; Catilinarian Orations; Tusculanae disputationes; De re publica; De natura deorum Cicero
Epistulae morales ad Lucilium; De tranquilitate animi, Seneca
Satyricon, Petronius
Satires; Epistles; Ars poetica, Horace
Ab urbe condita, Livius
Aeneid, Vergil (excerpts)

>Death of a Salsaman
Was this deliberate?

>Didn't actually read any essentials until I was about 21
A fair few of the books you listed are 'essential', assuming you believe that literature can be essential of course.

My junior year we literally read fault in our stars and divergent. Nevada is 48th in education and maybe 2 of my teachers in my entire high school gave a fuck.

>We had like thirty or so books per year (four years of high school) and we had to read at least half of them every year
Sounds good, but i don't really see how this works. If everybody was reading different books, how did you actually discuss them in class or write essays on them?

>How many classes per week did you have?
Good question. IIRC I had about two hours a week up to age 16, and then about four between 17 and 18 (because I chose to do A-level English Lit)

One more German.

Frish; Homo Faber, Andorra
Goethe; Wahlverwandschaften(!)
Büchner; Woyzeck
Schiller; Kabale und Liebe
Hauptmann; Bahnwärter Thiel
Sophokles; Antigone
Rhue; Give a Boy a Gun

And in English class, Fahrenheit 451 and Catcher in the Rye.

Might have forgotten one or two from the very early years.

>some whiny holocaust book

Christ man, the guy survived through the holocaust and escaped from a concentration camp. Id say the guy has a little right to complain.

Only thing i remember that i read and it was good was Kafka´s Metamorphosis, the first chapter of 100 Years of Solitude, and one book by Vargas Llosa.
My school sucked in Literature.

In my high school we had a months-long unit where we watched and analysed the film 500 Days of Summer. The only books I ever remember reading were Of Mice & Men and An Inspector Calls.

We literally read more books in primary school. In college I had to read The Road as a prerequisite for an English lit course but I never actually took the course so I don't know what else we would have read.

Sweden here, I read:
The Metamorphosis.
Of Mice and Men(why did everyone have to read this?)
Excerpts from Shakespeare and Homer.

I remember one of the things we had to read was Ayn Rand's Anthem which of course is terrible. Later I found out this teacher was a big Harry Potter fan so yeah.

>tfw spics read borges and unamuno for high school

bare in mind i only did english lit up to gcse

from what i remember:
animal farm
of mice and men
to kill a mockingbid
a stranger calls
macbeth
romeo & juliet
great expectations
mark's gospel
a couple of books from the aeneid
cicero's cataline orations
tacitus' annals - the bit about nero
various ovid poems
caesar's gallic wars

it feels like we could have done lots more books. i think the issue becomes you spend so fucking long analysing each one that it sorts of puts you out of any enjoyment of the thing. i think it might have been more effective if you had to read a book - write something on it and then move on.

the latin was mostly extracts, as we spent a lot of time translating

Ireland

Can't really remember at primary school but not much. Several historical fiction novels in Irish history all done by the same publisher.

Secondary school - Junior Cycle
>Of Mice and Men
>Strumpet City by Plunkett
>Romeo and Juliet

Secondary School - Senior Cycle
>Sive by John B Keane
>Never Let Me Go
>Macbeth

Also analysed the film Casablanca as a text. And read an Irish play "An Triail" as Gaeilge for my Irish class

So fairly fucking shite

Forgot my classics class which was one of a selection of subjects to choose from but probably did the most actual reading in it:
>The Odyssey
>The Aenaid
>Arrian and Plutarch's seperate accounts of the life of Alexander to compare
>Oedipus
>Medea
>Prometheus Bound

desu was probably my favourite class I'm an idiot for not keeping it on or something similar in college

you probably went to a shit school.

I think I did the same gcse English course as you, but we had to read all of the play, then reread the scenes with Lord Capulet then all the scenes with Mercutio and once we'd written our essays on R+J then we got to watch the movie at the end of the year.

Your teacher either thought your class was too stupid to read it or they were lazy and didn't want to teach properly.

your classics class sounds better than mine for literature.

First year we read the Odyssey and studied the rise of Athenian democracy. We looked at Aristophanes' play The Wasps for this.

Second year we read The Aeneid and studied the political rise of Augustus. We used a lot more sources for this so we looked at Res Gestae Divi August, Suetonis etc

Are you talking to me?

Of course i the read whole play lmao, it isnt long

German here
>Wilhelm Tell by Schiller
>The Robbers (?) by Schiller
>Faust by Goethe
>Homo faber by Frisch
>Agnes by Stamm
>Danton's Death by Büchner
>Perfume by Süskind
>Die Judenbuche by Droste-Hülshoff
>Kleider machen Leute by Keller

and some shitty English books

You didn't really have to read a lot of the literature like I never read the Arrian and Plutarch books cover to cover because so much was summarised for us

what did you think of a fine balance?

Gymnasiums four year businesses alternative. You're given a book to read, then you get a written test about it. I believe we are supposed to read more, but we often neglect written and verbal communication, so all in all there isn't a huge improvement. Out of what we read, most is rushed through, often not well explained, so few things stick with you, and you really have little pleasure reading. Anyway, from what I remember on foreign work:

Some collection of Greek legends, that's all that I remember about it, can't even remember how I did on it
Madame Bovary - read, missed all the subtle details, hated it then, now it's one of my favourites
Hamlet - read in two days before deadline, didn't understand a thing, almost failed the test
Song of Songs from Bible - truly fond memories of this one, well explained by the professor, I believed it wasn't on the required list, but she wanted us to experience a thing out of the Bible. She had to personally ask us whether we want to read it. Secularism and commie leftovers are strong here.
Metamorphosis - read, loved it, and found it weird that it was loved also by everyone
Crime and Punishment - read, mixed feelings about it, different professor of doubtful persuasion, explained it as anti religious work
Oedipus Rex - didn't read, cheated myself thorough
The Stranger (Camus) - read, hated it so much I haven't returned to it ever since

And then the local, doubt anyone knows them, but some are good, some are bad. Most include harsh religious pro and against strife that is everpresent here:
Tavčar - Visoška Kronika
Cankar - short stories
Prešeren - Krst pri Savici
Miličinski - Butalci
Voranc - Solzice

Holly fuck, I haven't laughed that hard for ages.

>Waiting for Godot
Yeah, forgot that one. One of the worst experiences ever.

Why is nobody mentioning a single work from Hemingway?
Is he truly shit?

And know I bump cause my stack be Veeky Forums approved.

I only had to read spanish books.
Amadis de Gaula, Cronica de una muerte anunciada, Lazarillo de Tormes, Niebla, the list goes on.

the only decent reading experiences I had in high school (USA) were in a vague elective class called "great books" when I was a junior. the teacher just gave us a trial by fire of Dubliners/Portrait/Ulysses in a semester. the library copies of Ulysses hadn't been checked out since like the 50's.

I am jealous of your list.

>Elementary School

The Giver
The Pearl
Of Mice and Men

>Middle-School/Jr. High

Nothing. I can't remember having to read anything other than some textbook full of random stories from the NCLB act (EG, learn whats going to be on the test)
This is about the same time I stopped giving a fuck about school

>High School
The Catcher in the Rye
Romeo and Juliet (We didn't even read it, we just watched the shitty ass movie)

Around sophmore year I stopped going to school. They forced me to go even though I had a 0 GPA. Sent me to an Alternative Ed school. There I read and made bookreports for credits as well as self-taught mathematics and literature

Things I read and reported on:

Moby Dick
Brave New World
I, Robot
Dune
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Foundation
Hamlet

Each was worth .5 credits and I needed 4, so that is about where I stopped. American education is fucking banal, torrid, and pointless. You're better off being an auto-didact with how the education system works.

Just guessing you're around like 18-20 and from BW?

>private school

We read a book every other week. Along with required summer reading. Id guess nearly 100 books were required. Most of them were excellent books, well selected over a good range time, genre and format as well.

Shit we even read some Latin poetry in Latin.