If people are content to wallow in ignorance, is it ethical to try to educate them?

If people are content to wallow in ignorance, is it ethical to try to educate them?

What is content?
What is wallow?
What is ignorance?
What is ethical?
What is educate?
What is people?

What is 'what is'?

It is ethical to give them the freedom to educate themselves.

Depends if they are interested.

Next question, loser!

yes, educate with *frying pan*

don't be ignorant

>Is it ethical to try to educate them?

Do you mind burning bridges? Some education involves bringing a mirror to their faces. Sometimes it's best to leave them in ignorance and let the next person take on the duty. Or pray for them to realize on their own.

>visual art
>"what it (((means)))"
fucking gay

Women love to not know. They would rather 'wonder' then listen to somebody else's opinion.

You know I don't even care that much about the concepts themselves. It's more the awful portmanteaus crit. women come up with for the fancy ideas of their world.

Mansplaining, why not sexsplaining? Manspereading, how about manandering? Jfc these people make themselves so uncompelling with the quality of their containers.

hur hur I need to do things about stuff

You should be a politician, you have the right temperament.

being dumb is trendy user

Not if they're women apparently.

shut up socrates

shut up heidegger

>If people are content to wallow in ignorance, is it ethical to try to educate them?
>i.e. Should Public Education exist?

If you are certain you are correct, and you are certain your education will absolutely benefit them?

>what be people
>idoit

>that hair
>that gut

Oh god I'm that guy

>normative ethics

No. Trying to give something yo someone who isnt asking for it dooms the pupil who is ready and shows the insecurity of the teacher. At that point it becomes not about their ignorance but rather your dubious motives

The joke isn't that she doesn't want to know, the joke is that hipsters are pretentious asshats who talk a lot without saying anything.

When people say "I wonder what it means" it means THEY want to find/figure it out.

You ignorant fuck.

Whether or not it's ethical is beside the point- the key thing is that it's pointless and will ultimately depress and frustrate you, and they will think you're a wanker.

They most likely won't change their opinion despite facts existing to counter them.

My grandma is a diehard televangelist loving, church going, feet dragging, mouth smacking (chewing food), climate change denying Trump supporter and o matter what I tell her or show her contradicting whatever she brings up to me (after hearing about it through a televangelist or Alex Jones) she will keep believing it.

Even my mom thinks she is retarded. I used to think she was smart.

>My grandma is a diehard televangelist loving, church going, feet dragging, mouth smacking (chewing food), climate change denying Trump supporter and o matter what I tell her or show her contradicting whatever she brings up to me (after hearing about it through a televangelist or Alex Jones) she will keep believing it.

Good.

What do you mean by ignorance?

Knowledge is so specialized that you can be called ignorant, unless you're highly trained in every field?

No, it's exceptionally bad.

pic related. if you are talking about the ingnorance that is lack of selfobservation, then telling someone about their flawe ideology or whatever might help them, but tey won't like you for it. so it depends: do you value "being liked" over "educate people"? and then there is also the problem that whatever you want to "teach" them is just, like, your opinion, man
just because you think something is true doesn't make it a truth set in stone. just think back on what you considered "set in stone" 10 years ago...

damnit, forgot pic

>No one is more hated than pedophiles
>Therefore, the pedophiles are onto something...

Plato, you hack.

I hate mansplaining white guys

since when do pedophiles speak the truth?

Shhhh
Its aaall a social construct, remember!

>in art gallery
>looking at abstract expressionist painting
>woman also looking at it
>she says I wonder what it means
>say "who gives a rat's ass what you wonder you narcissistic roasty. It's not my job to educate you."

And that's the way to properly handle the situation my fellow anons.

>When people say "I wonder what it means" it means THEY want to find/figure it out.
When people say "I wonder what it means" it means they wonder what it means. They want to know what it means. How they find out is not mentioned. The fact that they said it out loud is a good indication they'd like to be told.

This.
Get out of your basement once in a while, .

I suggest that the best response the man in the image could give to her would be "And I didn't ask what you said. What makes you think I was even talking to you? Get over yourself."

>I hate mansplaining white guys

I do admire that about niggers,they're very upfront about the fact that they don't know much.

>actually mentioning 'feet dragging' and 'mouth smacking' along political views when talking about an old woman
My condolences to your grandmother. It can't be easy having offspring like you.
Hey, at least she's not a leftist. It could always be worse.

good post
hard 8 to a soft 9 desu

You're coming from what Freire called banking education. The idea that education is about empty-headed ignorant people that must be filled with the knowledge that is brought up by the teacher. This would be indoctrination and it would be so even if you feel very much in the right with what you know.

When you affirm something, put some information or knowledge out, it's not like giving it to someone. In order to learn it, the person must in some sense identify themselves with it, must feel a personal pull to receive this information. You can produce that pull through rhetoric or even by physical force, which is what makes a soldier just answer yes, or that makes people go out of school reproducing what the teachers told them.

No one is "content in ignorance" because no one thinks of themselves as ignorant, even if you think that of them.

frankjavcee?

>No one is content in ignorance because no one thinks of themselves as ignorant

1. That's the point, that's why ignorance is bless: you dont understand shit, so you dont have to face harsh realities AND you dont even know how stupid you are.
2. >No one thinks of themselves as ignorant
This is just clearly false.
>People usually dont think of themselves as ignorant
is fairer imo.

That's pretty much what the Socratic method is all about.

tell them to take psychedelics
then they'll understand

>ethical
>educate
Top spooks m9

i don't see how ethics plays into it at all unless you're some mega-autist.
either way, it's a complete waste of time and energy unless you're running a cult where they give you their money and women.

>If people are content to wallow in ignorance, is it ethical to try to educate them?

It is not possible to educate people. People are educated because they have an internal desire to learn, not because someone else decided to.

Ergo, since your proposition is impossible, the question of the ethics of it is irrelevant. Class dismissed.

One has to fool them by some trick to think they want it, lest they stay ignorant.

The joke is the New Yorker in this situation

>People are educated because they have an internal desire to learn
You can force some of it.

A person only says "I wonder what it means" in two cases a) they're actually curious or b) they're pretending to be curious to impress somebody.

In case a) a person doesn't want to be lectured, they want to learn. Learning is an inherently personal thing- everybody absorbs information differently, so the chance that the person wants to hear some smug asshole tell them what they're supposed to think or feel is astronomically small. Yes, there are times when they'd actually like to hear your opinion, and in that case, they usually follow up their statement with: "what do you think?"

In case b) yes, they probably do want to hear you prattle on, because they want into your pants. But the chances of that happening to anybody on Veeky Forums is also astronomically small.

Stop reading about how normies act on Veeky Forums.

Cant tell if thats an adams apple or a collar but either way its great

>ethic
It's a spook.

Not if it's against they're wishes...but what people wish depends on what you say. So if you have a good enough hook, then no it's not unethical at all.