Best version of The Holy Bible?

I'm thinking about going to back to church. Something is missing in my life.

What is the best bible to get? I'm Catholic so that means I need one with all the books in it. That means it can't be a variant of the King James Version.

Thank you, and Assalamu Alaikum fellow anons!

Other urls found in this thread:

patheos.com/blogs/theanchoress/2012/10/23/the-knox-bible-is-a-treasure/
usccb.org/bible/approved-translations/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Threadly reminder that KJV is a direct translation of the Catholic Vulgate and was shit even before James filled it with his political agenda

NSRV.

This is just incorrect. Is this a shit post or are you so retarded that you actually think this?

>Assalamu Alaikum
are you muslim before ?

KJV is the best

king james fa sho

>blindly recommending English propaganda
>this is the state of Veeky Forums

Sad

>not recommending the best english version of the bible on an english website
time to pack ur shit

>best translation
>can't even get the commandments right

Sure thing, friendo

>Protestants

Can you fags not read that I specifically said it can't be a Protestant faggot King James Bible?

>expecting KJVfags to read

Martin Luther was a mistake.

So are we just going to have this thread every day until the heat death of the universe or what?

Buy the Knox version, it was specifically translation to read as if it has been originally written by an English speaker, it has a beautiful flow to it. It was translated over the span of around 15 years by a single guy who mostly used the Latin Vulgate but also referenced the Greek and Hebrew when verses were unclear, it's really good.

Only problem is that it's licensed only by Baronius Press so you'll need to pay a cool 50 bucks to get it. It's worth it in my opinion though, not very well known but it is a gem.

Review of it here:

patheos.com/blogs/theanchoress/2012/10/23/the-knox-bible-is-a-treasure/

This thread is a shitpost, you put too much effort in

You can get KJVs with the Apocrypha

Otherwise Ignatius study bible

If you want one with "all the books in it" you should get an orthodox Bible.

The only Orthodox Bible worth buying is the Orthodox Study Bible.

It's not a shitpost. I'm serious

OP, if you're a Catholic there are like three good options.

Knox - Beautiful, elegant translation
RSV-2CE - Balanced, academic translation
Douai-Rheims - Slightly inferior Catholic KJV

For Knox, get the leather one from Baronius Press. For RSV-2CE get the Didache Bible from Ignatius Press. For Douai-Rheims, I dunno, you can be an autist and get the giant $100 edition with facing Latin from Baronius (like I did), or just grab one from Amazon.

If you're a Prot (no longer talking to you, OP), just read KJV. Unless you're an academic, the translation is more than accurate enough.

Please can we give it at least a month until our next "What Bible should I read" thread?

Get the RSV or NRSV

Western schools of thought are so constrained and constipated-feeling, though. Try Eastern philosophy, or a more introspective, spiritual approach to find what you need. Knowing the self will lead you to the same finish line that practicing any religion would, and without all the bullshit. Religion doesn't fill any void you may be feeling and leads to dogmatic thinking and cognitive dissonance (especially with Abrahamic faiths). Plus religion has very little to do with where you are spiritually. Aka, even an atheist can be quite spiritual.

The Jefferson Bible.

If you HAD to choose, which one would you be, Shrikant or Alexander?

Shrikant ever time.

shrink bro every day of my life
He knows what he wants and isn't afraid to try and get it
Alex thinks he will get what he wants by pretending not to want it and reacted to what other people do

Shrikant because honesty. Alexander is a white night and probably tries to hide how badly he wants to berry his dick in that pussy, King Arthur style.

REEEEEEEEEEEEE ANIME FAGS AND DEGENERATES GET OUT OF MY THREAD

Catholic or Protestant doesn't matter terribly much as long as you read the Apocrypha.

For understanding: RSV, NRSV

For understanding + prose: ESV, NET

For hurr durr muh literary value filthy plebs can't get into my shitty royal propaganda: KJV, NKJV

weak mind

Get an old one from a member of your family. One that carries some historical import with it. Those are the best kind of bibles to have.

I have this beautiful, leather bound, fifty-year-old bible that my mother received at her confirmation. It's got her name gilded on the front all Paper Moon style as well, and that is a dope movie, so I get reminded of it and smile every time I read the bible.

I want to get deep into Christograms.

What's the best book? I already know most of them and a bit about each but I wanna get all up of the guts of the stuff

You'd want one that is approved by the Catholic Church, specifically the congregation of bishops in certain English-speaking countries. The two that immediately come up are the Ignatius Bible, which is Catholic edition of the 2nd ed. of the RSV, for Americans and the Jerusalem Bible 1966, for the English. Note that the Jerusalem Bible 1966 is out of print but one of the people involved in the project is Tolkien who worked primarily on the Book of Jonah.

Here is the link for burgers like me: usccb.org/bible/approved-translations/

This one recommends the NSRV but the RSV 2nd Ed. was recommended before but was however changed due to the inclusion of gender-neutral language mainly.

I'd say that you want one that not only uses the latest manuscripts but seeks guidance and inspiration from the Vulgate especially.

Don't you mean the nrsv?

>I'm Catholic so that means I need one with all the books in it. That means it can't be a variant of the King James Version.

FYI, the deuterocanon was translated as part of the KJV and editions such as the Oxford World Classics KJV contain it.

I have like 5 NIVs at the family home

is NIV that bad?

Dont really want to buy a new one. If not ill go to a op-shop

The NIV is pretty bad, yeah. Often called the "Newly Invented Version"

the comic version lmao
its p aight you get the gist of it since it's literally word for word from translation just with nice pictures

Yes, it's bad. Get either NABRE, JB, RSV (CE), NRSV (CE), NEB, GNB, DRV, or the Knox Version.

>NASB

Friendly reminder that all nonbelievers will go to hell, and all protestants will go to purgatory.

Apocrypha is neato. I want one with the Infancy Gospel of Thomas though.

>You'd want one that is approved by
Stopped reading there.

Praise Orc (and Kek)

didn't thomas jefferson edit all the supernatural elements out of the bible publish a deist version of it? let's go with that one.

>if i send u frnd request than what u do
Shrikant is the undisputed alpha dog, notice how Alexander didn't reply. He got totally BTFO'd. Betcha anything Shrikant got some blue pussy that night.

His Bible was called "The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth Extracted Textually from the Gospels in Greek, Latin, French and English." I agree with him in part, that is in placing sole importance in Jesus, and ignoring the apostles for personal value. The apostles are important for conversion, though he disagreed, as Jesus likely had great reason to use them. You could boil the Bible to just a couple sentences:

>Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

>Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Even the first would suffice. But like Jefferson's Bible, this would only be useful for personal value.

You could also take the supernatural parts to be metaphorical, thus save the whole of the Bible from Jefferson.

I'm an atheist.
*rips fat vape cloud (blueberry melon flavored) and envelops you in it*

You know you aren't supposed to touch your weeny if you're a Christian, right? I can't get behind something like that, I don't want colon cancer from not draining my naughty juice.

I don't think God gives a shit if you masturbate

You don't get to claim to follow a religion and make up your own rules though. Catholics are definitely anti-masturbation. I don't know about the offshoots.

Lattimore's New testament

NABRE translation is officially endorsed by the Catholic church and is pretty literal. Don't get the Jerusalem Bible if you want it for serious study.

Or NRSV Catholic edition, it's the most commonly used translation in academia. The "with Apocrypha" version has both the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox deuterocanon, but in a separate section.

No, they used a combination of sources, including a Hebrew text, the LXX, the vulgate, Textus Receptus, and anither greek NT text.

That book is amazing, the drawings are technically impressive, but also because it does literally adapt the whole thing, including the genealogy lists and nonsensical parts.