New Acquisitions Thread

>What are you reading
>What one are you looking forward to reading
>What do you regret buying?

Other urls found in this thread:

penguin.co.uk/articles/find-your-next-read/reading-guides/2016/oct/where-to-start-reading-virginia-woolf/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Books_of_the_Western_World
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Beautiful editions so I'm excited to read them

>Blood Meridian.
>Pic related just ordered. Might go with Resurrection next, but have highest hopes for Life and Fate.
>Everyman's Library Camus. He's kind of shit.

>Don Quixote & Fictions
>Into Thin Air
>Fictions, I should have got the Complete Fictions by Borges instead

Nice edition of Ulysses, nerd.

That's not how I pictured Don Quixote.

I know that feel

>>Fictions, I should have got the Complete Fictions by Borges instead
Naw, you should have gotten Labyrinths if this is your first Borges. Regardless, enjoy! Pick up some of his non-fiction too if your enjoy his short stories.

I borrowed an Everymans Library edition of The Stranger from the library. I'm in love with it's simplicity, it's blue binding with gold lettering and a small blue ribbon.

>deckled edges

I like them.

oh my God that's worse than a YA cover

these are up your alley too

penguin.co.uk/articles/find-your-next-read/reading-guides/2016/oct/where-to-start-reading-virginia-woolf/

Pic is my ThriftBooks order yesterday. 24 books for a bit less than $80.

I'm most excited for the Kamisaka Sekka volume, Flight of Butterflies. I'm hoping to collect all the accordion-style books in that series (already have one of the Utamaro ones).

Currently reading Runes: An Introduction by Ralph W. Elliott, which I got from the library. Someone went to town with highlighting and underlining in it.

I don't think I've regretted buying anything in a while.

I don't like most of the deluxe covers (that Joyce included, sorry user) but those are nice enough and somewhat thematic for Woolf. At the very least they're not horribly cartoony.

I'll keep that in mind if I find myself looking for Woolf books.

Wow you seem like a literal faggot judging from that list.

I don't think I have ever seen a more pathetic book order than that. SAD!

I agree with you in all honesty, the illustration they chose doesn't make him look very 'woeful'. Perhaps it's showing what he thinks he looks like?
Anways, Wordworth Classics aren't really known for they incredible covers and choice of illustrations. It's just a cheap way of a acquiring a book, seeing as how I picked up Don Quixote for a whopping 70p! new.

I actually discovered Borges off his short stories, primarily The Library of Babel. Figured I'd pick up some other of his short stories. So far, I'm really enjoying it.
I'll almost definetely continue into the rest of his works, and since you seem to be quite the Borges fan, I'll take you up on your recommendation of Labyrinths as the next of his I read.

Haha, I'm guessing it's from all the children's lit. Sorry, user. I've had cooler orders, but I haven't been buying as much on the adult side lately. I did get the Spark and Feneon, which I'd already read (though not the illustrated Feneon).

>So far, I'm really enjoying it.
Great news!

Just so you're aware Labyrinths is an anthology and has a large amount of stuff from Fictions in it so you can jump straight to The Aleph or a non-fiction collection if you'd like. The only reason I recommend Labyrinths for first time readers is because it has some of his best short fiction (Tlon, Babel, etc) and a little selection of some his essays. Makes a nice (early) Borges sampler!

i just picked up the recognitions jr and a smuggler's bible.

six pages into the recognitions and i think it might be the best thing i've ever read .-.

McElroy is a god.

Enjoying The City & The City so far.

looking forward to starting that! probably'll be after all the gaddises.

What does the cover have to do with the subject matter of the book?

It looks like a YA version of Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

Because I like the way books feel within my hand or how they look on the outside when I read them?

It's just another sensory thing. Denying things that you enjoy for the sake of impressing others with your stoicism is bullshit.

You misinterpreted my question.

Are Penguin's Clothbound Classics tailored more to the female genre? They seem interesting but also alittle sissy, when I could get a manly hardcover Everyman's edition.

What does Knausgaard know about Joyce?

I wouldn't say so on the whole. Naturally the Austen ones are girly

Bu compare that to the Dickenseses

Right now I'm reading Henry George's Progress and Poverty and Apollonius' On Conics.

Progress and Poverty is an incredibly detailed and significant work of detailed analysis of economic terminology and practicality. Overall I agree that the overinflated proportion of prices devoted to rent can drive wages down, but theoretically speaking I'm not sure if I agree that the restriction of rate increase for wages really restricts the rate increase for interest, because even if they were correlated, Irving Fisher found that interest raises anticipate future price change rate increases by a considerable amount of months.

On Conics' third book, unlike the first two, is all Apollonius. It is extremely complex and will have me looking at the same page for half hours at a time. However, it is all extremely interesting.

I'm looking forward to reading Léon Walras Elements of Pure Economics after this work by Henry George

I like the minimalistic style to them, and (some) of the colors they chose work well. Primarily War And Peace and The Odyssey and even kind of Anna Karenina. But I can't help but feel like the idea of clothbound books is inherently a more girly concept. Kind of "girls won't really read these books, but if we put cute little patterns and give them a cute material, they might read them" With obvious exceptions to the rule, that being Austen

I know what you mean. I can certainly imagine a booktuber schlicking herself silly over how pretty they look on her shelf.

But if you like them, who cares.

Meh, too pretty for my taste

Mother in law sent the icke book. Not really into that sort of thing so it will sit on the shelf for a long time.

The kawabata i bought simply because i love playing go.

>reading
Right now I'm reading Bottom's Dream for the first time. Monolithic, but enjoyable so far.
>looking forward to reading
It Can't Happen Here, because I'm still butthurt about politics.
>regret buying
Les Miserables. Bought a nice hardcover for $15 before I found an ebook version for free.

>Infinite Jest
>The Stranger
>Blood Meridian

Who have you has learned the sacred moon-runes to understand the true version of the bible?

I also got The City and The City so far.

Anyway picked up the following:
Existentialism is a Humanism-Sartre
The City & The City-Mieville
Perdidio Street Station-Mieville
Human All Too Human/Beyond Good and Evil-Nietzsche
Speedboat-Adler

Very surprised at getting a cheap NYBR considering I never see them in my local charity shop.

Went to Vienna today
Originally just wanted a german copy of the Tractatus.

>C by Tom McCarthy

Tom McCarthy, C, Tom, McCarthy, C, Cormac McCarthy, C, Tom, Thomas, V, Tom, Thomas Pynchon, V

>finally reading Moby Dick
>getting onto Posthumous Memories of Bras Cubas by Machado de Assis
>completely regret reading and buying Loner by Teddy Wayne.

Such an underdeveloped, retarded story with a pathetic attempt at overcompensating a crap writing style by means of overly complicated vocabulary. Look at me, I know all these SAT words! I personally hate that shit and other aspects of the story as well

bought this last sunday

>Foreword by Knausgaard
>inb4 he spends all of it talking about himself

Rate, hate, and masterbate

>Durant

*vomit*

Wew lad
Are you some pseudo-intellectual that hates well written prose and patrician tier pop-history?

It must suck to be a faggot.

Have you read any other Mieville? I read Perdido Street Station years ago, but this is only my second. It's shaping up to be more enjoyable than Perdido.

Oh no. Did I accidentally cop a meme?

Not gonna criticize Durant, I've never read those tomes. But, did you actually have to order those? I could probably get the whole set cheap by hitting up two or three thrift stores or charity shops in my area. I've always considered these, along with the Great Books volumes, as cultural detritus that seems to wash up every once in a while in my peripheral vision.

>Wordsworth Classics

>never read them
>says they suck

Smh

Yes I ordered them. They are somewhat rare books that aren't published anymore. A "new" set costs about $150 dollars and I got these for $3 each. The whole series contains 11 books.

They aren't "scholar" approved if that is what you are wondering. They are written in a way that makes history easy to understand and a joy to read.

Nope. Bought them both since I heard his name tossed around in the sffg threads and he was supposed to be decent. Not sure which one to start with though.

Well I imagine size may determine which to go for first. However, Perdido is an earlier work. It's a strange, open, historical-esque sci-fi and a fantastic example of large scale world building. The City & The City (or what I've read so far) on the other hand, is a tight noir mystery with big underlying sci-fi themes. So I guess just take your pick.

He really goes on about the setting of Portrait really, how it comes alive with beautiful prose.

The big takeaway is that the city of Dublin is not in relation to the actual city, but in relation to Stephen. The association of places and things bring you into the story. You cannot read Portrait and know what the statue and the college represent in real life, but you do understand what they represent in Stephens mind. The world becomes the image of Stephen, and the symbolism's omnipresence is what causes Stephen to cry "I will not serve"

Or something like that.

Master of go is great, but if it's your first Kawabata, start with his short stories or Snow Country.

>They aren't "scholar" approved if that is what you are wondering

why bother? my aunt died and left me the whole set, along with her other books, and they are history books for the common person, which means they left out the history. it's like in school when we are led to believe things just happen, history marches on, and we are at best spectators to this great cortege of events and impressions. into the garbage they go. paying for them is a totally sickening thought though.

For my English degree I've still got to get through:
A Double Sorrow: Troilus and Criseyde - Lavinia Greenlaw

Imposture - Benjamin Markovitz

The Skriker - Caryl Churchill

For pleasure I'm currently getting through:
From Germany to Germany - Günter Grass

And Where Were You, Adam?
The Bread of Those Early Years
Group Portrait with Lady
The Train was on Time
The End of a Mission
- all vintage Penguin copies by Heinrich Böll

Is Tomorrow Hitler's? - H.R. Knickerbocker

I was Hitler's Prisoner - Stefan Lorant

What Hitler Wants - E.O. Lorimer
(2x from 1939, 1x from 1942)

Glamorama - Bret Easton Ellis
(then I've finished all of his texts)
(missing from the photo)

The Pike, Gabriele d'Annunzio - Lucy Hughes-Hallet

>A Double Sorrow: Troilus and Criseyde - Lavinia Greenlaw

Never even heard of it. Is it any good?

I liked it too.

No idea sorry, I'm hoping so though.

No idea sorry, I'm hoping so though.

nice meme. will make a fine addition.

felt like a kid, just got these

Just finished The Book of Disquiet. Grabbed some more Pessoa and a few others.

Those deluxe editions covers are awful. The Metamorphosis translation if anyone is curious is just as awful:

"When Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from troubled dreams, he found himself changed into a monstrous cockroach in his bed.”"

What book is similar to the one featured in Night Train to Lisbon?

>cockroach
>monstrous

Instant garbage.

Whats the best translation anyways?

The German one.

me too lets change the culture

Why'd you not just buy the Penguin 'Collected Fictions' edition? It has all of Borges short stories together, with all prefaces, etc. Really nice book to own

Just finished BCrossing, which I quite liked. If you value plot don't read the back cover.

>secondary literature

>
can't wait to read butchers crossing!!! hope you it enjoy it

>not the Cátedra edition of Peter Prame

>What are you reading
Hamlet & King Lear (Arden), El Llano en llamas

>What one are you looking forward to reading
Continue reading The Three Musketeers, start To the Lighthouse and Gilgamesh, Manrique's and Tablada's poems

>What do you regret buying?
I almost bought the New Oxford Shakespeare because I wanted a Complete Works of W.S. even though I'm a sucker for individual Arden editions. Dodged a bullet there tho, it seems it didn't live up to the hype and it's only pyrotechnics. It's a shame, really. Either the Norton or the Arden Complete Works seem like a better investment.

Man, I've wanted that edition of Dr Johnson for the longest time. Actually jelly.

I do have that Hazlitt, it's a great edition and Hazlitt is amazing.

Pretty plebby but I like it,

Don't know where I should start

(here)
Good shit on the Republic, was about to cop but $16 for greece philosphy from Books a Million wasn't worth it.

Might just Amazon some more Greek books for the low

>look at all these books I'll never read
>please validate me as I ostentatiously post my recent purchases

rimbaud and history of madness were gifts, the rest i got at thrift stores for around 35-40 total

i know that having both M&C and history of madness is redundant

>deckled edges
But mostly because I just picked them up one at a time from my local bookstore a couple of years back. Never came across the deluxe one volume edition.

Currently finishing Sinclair's 'It Can't Happen Here' before I start with Corridors of Power.

Already regretting Guns, Germs and Steel.

>ostentatious

One of those words you only use when you are so.

i mean ostentatious is objectively a great word dude...objectively... it's kind of like ostensibly... there's really not a replacement for it and it's extraordinarily useful..

Half of them have been read already... still working on Moby before I start Portrait and Ulysses.

>penguin classics deluxe version
kill yourself

Nice Kafka, I'm reading thru the Castle right now then I'm gonna re-read the Trial
I'm writing a paper/presenting on Kafka entitled The Inefficiencies of Bureaucracy: a textual analysis of Kafka's the Trial and the Castle
for my existentialism course at uni.

Nice Pessoa, we're actually reading through the B of D right now in said existentialism course
It's been quite a challenge for me to read, some passages resonate to the googolplexth degree, others I've actively found myself disliking Pessoa for.

Nice Borges

Why are you regretting GG&S?
I haven't read it, I'm just curious because I have Collapse and I'm really looking forward to reading it.

>really not a replacement for it

Literally the most frequently used on all of Veeky Forums: pretentious, is a replacement for it.

If you don't care for that how about histrionic. If you're feeling simple how about showy. Or flamboyant?

Don't be fucking stupid. I wasn't even that poster to criticize you for the use of that word, because you used it correctly, appropriately, and yes it is a good word. But don't tell me there's not a replacement for it, that's a lazy vocabulary.

Did I get memed?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Books_of_the_Western_World

if you have the English why read Hebrew translations?

this is perhaps just my prejudice speaking but i'd wager that a Hebrew translation would be inferior to a English one.
The Camus is mostly philosophy so it should translate into anything but with 100 aren’t you missing out on the prose?

admittedly i know fuck all about Hebrew translations ...

Pessoa is pretty good, I think It's more interesting to read about him, since the story behind The Book of Disquiet is pretty interesting in general. But my only problem I had with the book was some of it felt way to rambly and unnecessarily edgy in some cases.
Being a pretty introverted guy most of what he was talking about kind of resonated with me (even if there's a possability he didn't believe a single word he wrote, because of the heteronym inside of a heteronym theory) I recall No.49 being one of my favourite parts of the book, simply because it perfectly describes my outlook.

I think it is interesting purely because of the heteronym concept, and the idea that Pessoa may not have believed anything he wrote at all, since we know he gave his heteronyms completely different personalities, political views and religious beliefs.

i know why Arden is great, but why the Norton?

>£175 on Ebay

I'd buy that in a heartbeat, but I'm poor

The House of The Dead
The Gambler
A Confession and Other Religious Writings
The Collected Tales of Nikolai Gogol
Great Short Works of Leo Tolstoy
The Idiot
Crime and Punishment
Atlas Shrugged
Gulliver's Travels
The Road to Wigan Pier
Beyond Good and Evil
Devils
Ordinary Men
In Defense of Marxism
The Prince
The Art of War

>In Defense of Marxism
>Atlas Shrugged

i regret buying blood meme
wasnt good

I like to read a little stupid from several angles.

Picked up the 54 volume set (and tiny bookcase) for $60 locally. I was wondering if the translations have held up.

but its a paperback