How influential are the Ancient Greeks when it comes to science? Are they undisputed no. 1 God Tier?

How influential are the Ancient Greeks when it comes to science? Are they undisputed no. 1 God Tier?

They were pretty important, they disputed the dogma of religion with rationality.

They're below basically every big western european nation and the jews

1. All user are legion.
2. All legion are user.
Therefore
3. We are legion.

All their discoveries were actually discovered by black people centuries earlier.

A lot of their ideas were forgotten with the fall of Greece, and then forgotten more thoroughly after the fall of Rome. Their ideas weren't rediscovered until the European renaissance.

The Greeks provided a lot of useful insight in the philosophy of thought, and they invented the scientific method and rules of logic, but their actual discoveries were largely limited to mathematical truths and some simple machines. The real breakthroughs into higher math and discoveries about physics and the natural world were all from the enlightenment period (1600s), after the dark ages.

So, overall, I would put the greeks as second place in terms of influence, behind enlightenment Europe

Not to mention a lot of the Greek mathematics were actually just shit they got from Babylon and Mesopotamia

>simple machines
>simple
lel

Other than that, this is pretty much spot on. But the real value of Ancient Greek science lies not in the abundance of the quality content, but rather in it acting as a template of knowledge that renaissance europeans would study and build upon/modify after the fall of the ERE. It's the increase in the interest in Ancient Greek society that planted the seed for the renaissance, during a period where people had the luxury to explore science further. Who knows when the scientific revolution would've occurred if there was no point of reference for the right people to start with.

>enlightenment
>1600's
hihihi

KANGZ

it started in the 1600s and ended in the 1800s. I'm not sure what your problem is. Would you prefer that I use the middle of the era instead of the start when referencing it? I was just trying to give some general context to people who are weak on history. I guess it would be more accurate to say that it was the 18th century and a bit on either end but that would be pretty pedantic

They figured out the earth was round and came with in 1000 km of the circumference of the earth.

If you're using the logic that you should give the credit for scientific advances to the person who set the foundation for that knowledge, you could follow that chain of reasoning back to pre-history. And if you want to be more direct about it, you could say that the muslims of the islamic golden age had more to do with the renaissance than the Greeks. Not only did they preserve the knowledge of the greeks, but they also made a lot of important advances in algebra and the physical sciences.

So really, the main influence of the greeks on the enlightenment and renaissance was the side effects of the influence of the greeks on the islamic golden age.

Overall in terms of scientific power level I would put it

Modern day >>> industrial revolution >>(power gap)>> Enlightenment > Islamic Golden Age > Ancient Greeks > Renaissance

no, after the scientific revolution there have been individuals (like Newton) who have contributed more than entire civilizations (including Ancient Greeks) to science

Now, I don't deny the effect and advancements of the islamic golden age, but it is overstated, especially when it comes to the preservation of anceint greek knowledge and ideals. The Byzantine empire was arguably the most important entity responsible for this preservation. The Imperial Library of Constantinople was the greatest library in the world and contained all the knowledge a greekaboo could ever want. One of the main factors that historian scholars cite as leading to the renaissance is the fall of Constantinople and migration of byzantine scholars to Florence to renew interest in the classical greek world.

I guess in a way you could say the greeks were just as important then if you equate byzantine=greek, but even then, I consider the existence of ancient recorded scientific knowledge as a starting point more important than its preservation and transfer to other Europeans. The Renaissance is the most important in the sense that it led to all the scientific advancement of the modern age.

>The Renaissance is the most important in the sense that it led to all the scientific advancement of the modern age.
renaissance is a period in art history moron

>art history
What the fuck kind of definition are you using? The cultural movement of the Renaissance affected a lot more than just art, and it included early proponents of the scientific revolution, especially as it spread throughout northern europe. Sure, the scientific revolution and renaissance are separated, but you wouldn't have one without the other at an overlapping time frame. Which is why many people see the Renaissance as the start of the modern age.

When it comes to science: There were many ancient greek great minds, but within the larger perspective of the scientific world (within their respective timeframe), they we're rivaled by the Chineese, Indians, The fertile crescent civilizations, and the Romans which would come along later.

When it comes to Art, Literature, and Philosophy: This is what really makes the Ancient Greeks the great culture and civilization we remember today. While the scientific work by them are no doubt important, what lasts today in the mind of people when they think of "Ancient Greece" is Greek Architecture, Sculptures, Decorative painting, Homer's works, Theater, the Greek Philosophers such as Aristotle and Plato, and the list goes on and on. I think this is what the ancient Greeks are remembered for, though they did contribute greatly in other areas.

They're more influential in philosophy than science. Most of the "popular" philosophers didn't really care for practical applications of their discoveries.

They're important for developing the methodology of science and knowledge in general(valuing rational analysis of the world rather than supernatural explanations) but they really weren't scientists.

Hello!

This. The so-called Islamic Golden Age is a revisionist myth. In reality it was the dying gasp of scientists among the Greek Christian lands that the Muslims conquered.

IIRC they were the first people to throw out any idea other than "god(s) did it," disirregardless of how ridiculous the ideas were.
They were also the first people to systematize math, but that knowledge may have come from Egyptian or Sumerian mystery cults.

On what basis do you say that? The Greeks believed in God/gods too. Why do you think that all civilizations prior to Ancient Greece disregarded natural causes in favor of immediate cause by the gods exclusively?

Forgot muh pic.

Evidence. Most of initial Greek knowledge probably comes from said mystery cults, but we have no way of knowing, the Greeks are the first people we know of who had anything resembling our concept of rationality.

Then that's really just an argument out of ignorance on your part. Do you think the Ancient Egyptians were subhuman animals incapable of rational thought? It's unbelievably stupid, even for someone who doesn't know anything about the Ancient Egyptians (or any other ancient civilization), and just assume that they didn't believe in any kind of natural causation like you implied earlier.

>Do you think the Ancient Egyptians were subhuman animals incapable of rational thought?
It's a possibility.