WHAT ARE YOU READING THREAD!

I love you guys.
Life is short and it's ok to allow ourselves to enjoy some shitposting on Veeky Forums between reading periods.

Anyways, title.
Im reading an antology of short stories from Chejov.

Anna Karenina currently.
Have you read Ward no. 6?
It's definitely my favourite Chejov story

The Epic of Gilgamesh, Stephanie Dalley translation. I previously read the Andrew George translation and I'm quite surprised to see how different the rendering is in style and tone and even content, in some places. I wish I knew Akkadian and Sumerian because translations can be confusing.

Yep, I reread that one recently. I like it very much.

I've read this too, very interesting stuff.

These three.
The one in the middle is "The Peasants" by Stanislaw Reymont

currently reading a day in the life of ivan denisovich, will finish it tomorrow and start franny and zoey by salinger

>a day in the life of ivan denisovich
I have the intention to read (or is it "of reading"?) this one as soon as I get my hands on it. Do you like it?

it's a bit monotonous as you would expect from a book about daily life in a prison camp, but there's a lot of interesting characters and it's an important historical document. it kinda reminds of down and out in paris and london by orwell

>down and out in paris and london
Is this any better than Burmese Days? I though that BD was a little 'sentimental'. Sorry Orwell, you're still my hero.

The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth

I'm not too far in. Ebenezer is just leaving for Maryland. I am enjoying it thoroughly.

I'm, reading this, right now.

Cheeky Oxford comma

Oblomov. I think it's quite good, probably because I can relate to his struggle for direction.

it's very different from BD and it's not very 'sentimental', it's just orwell telling you how things really are when you're poor as dirt

the paris part is pretty funny and almost comfy at times, while the london part is just grim af

I hope you're just pretending not to know what an Oxford comma is. Too much cringe otherwise.

Norwegian Wood. It feels like a long-winded fantasy that I might've had when I was a teenager, right down to the entry level cultural references.

Journey to the End of the Night

Based Garner.

Love his usage dictionary, though I only read it because of DFW.

Slavs in European History and Civilization by Fr. Francis Dvornik

pic related, it's absolutely heartbreaking and i've been avoiding the book for years for that reason. definitely need to pick a happier work next.

A SCĂ„NNER DERKLY by Dickbutt

and

BASIC ECONOMICS by Sowell

To The Lighthouse. it's really good

No footnotes except what the author wrote in.

This prose is frustrating to read.

i'm reading "Nicotine," by Nell Zink.

it's whimsical, and i'm loving it

In Japanese?

yeah, i didn't know they translated it.

I'm just surprised to see it here. My family is Japanese and I've seen relatives reading it.

fwiw i'm japanese too (maybe that's why). i recommend reading it if you can, it's quite invoking.

frustrating? why?

I had to stop reading this one, it depressed the fuck out of me.

Mythologies, Barthes
Lost in the Funhouse, Barth
The Bluest Eye, Morrison

>I love you guys
There's currently another thread that begins this way. Is this a new meme to begin the OP this way? It's honestly pretty funny, if so.

was reading though Burnt Najal's Saga earlier, now going through Sword of Destiny (Witcher series).

I often Switch between books and sometimes dont pick one up for weeks, usually because I am listening to an audiobook while painting or because I read the News every day.

Op here. Nope, I wasn't memeing. I had a philanthropic moment.
Also, the other thread is shit if I recall correctly. Don't compare this masterpiece to that (kidding).

Right now the Franks have just captured Antioch but are low on food and surrounded by Turks.

I hope they're gonna be alright lads ;_;

The Recognitions

fun stuff

Accessible for the interested layman? I've been looking for a reasonable book(s) on the crusades to solidify the outline I've picked up from various places. The fact that this is still read makes me think it may be preferable to a contemporary introductory academic text or a pop-Veeky Forums narrative.

Boring, but maybe it gets better.

Da Tin Drum

the beats are becoming louder, quicker and more unbearable

Just finished The Man Who Disappeared (aka Amerika). The most light hearted of Kafka's novels, they said. I don't know, I was feeling anxious and disturbed the whole time. It does have its funny and (more seldom) sexy moments, but so does all of Kafka.

The Ancestor's Tale - Richard Dawkins

I'm on an anthro kick. I can't get enough of reading about evolution and ancient history

Joseph Heller's Something Happened. I'm not sure if anything horrible went on in Heller's life between Catch-22 and this, but it sure seems like it. Catch-22 has its bleak moments, but I'm halfway through this and it has just been a miserable, anxious, self-loathing rant nearly devoid of humor. There's very little beauty in the protagonist's life and the few times there is, he seems to snuff it out immediately.

I just finished reading that for the second time last week. I don't really think it's THAT depressing. There's a lot of humor and ridiculous situations that offset the barrage of misanthropy from Bardamu. There's also some really touching stuff like the part with Alcide in Africa. Maybe it's just my mindset though. I know people find humor in Kafka but I think his stuff is horrifying.

How far along are you?

I thought some of the descriptions of the border killings got tedious but the book has very different sections and ends on a strong note, imo.

120 days of sodom, and to be quite frank, it doesn't seem to be as disgusting as people make it out to be. Its just unpure

Veeky Forums turned me onto this shit and it's slowly going to ruin my life.

Yeah, it's quite engaging. It's a little old but still considered the gold standard of Crusade histories, and if you just want to know who did what to whom it's a great book.

Picked up The Gnostic Bible from the library because I was curious. Always had an interest in 'alternative knowledge', magic, bullshit like that. Not expecting much, see what happens

I also have that Debt history book up next, the red one

Re-reading the Republic and good God how much does Socrates need to wander about?

Killshot by Elmore Leonard

He's my go to easy reading fun guy when I don't want anything too heavy.