Getting two degrees cum laude

>getting two degrees cum laude
>getting phd
>getting into academia
>19 years old code monkey earns more money than you do

who else took 10 years to realize being a brainlet

money is gay. knowledge is supreme

can't wait to be called euphoric for saying this by some pre-med retard or an engineer

Not me, I got my masters then fucked off to code monkeying.

I have a degree in making your mom cum laude with my phd.

Education is the best provision for old age

>Concerned with money instead of advancing a field of study
Should have realized you were a brainlet sooner for sure

Tip my good euphoric poorfag gentlesir

>concerned with not dying from starvation instead of feeding chinese copy robots

ayy

>implying you got smarter since you were 19

You have more knowledge, you didn’t become smarter.

I agree. Plus I think the low income in academia is overblown. I'm not buying cars and houses or traveling the world every weekend, but I make more than enough as a grad student to live comfortably.

In a flatshare in Pasadena.

what kind of education system would laude its best students with cum?

> Not knowing Latin
> Not being able to read Gauss's Disquisitones

>19 years old code monkey earns more money than you do
Code monkeys in West will soon lose jobs to AI & cheaper Pajeets.
The coding job market is becoming crowded, cheap Pajeets will push down the wages & the pay.
Pajeets can do for a much cheaper cost the same Monkey job (copy paste from Stack Overflow)
AIs will be even cheaper than Pajeets.
A bunch of software engineers will create powerful AIs which will develop software & ironically be able to kill their own job.

The bubble will pop soon.

Jokes on you, I spent the duration of my PhD teaching myself things which I find interesting, getting into ridiculously good shape, developing my social skills, and learning everything I need to set up a business. I'll hopefully be employing code monkeys within 5 years.

The bubble in tech will happen
Killing Tech Jobs like a Nuke.
Many Western & Pajeets code monkeys will be suddenly unemployed.
Just like the NASDAQ bubble in '90s.
Only the best in tech will keep their jobs.

Ten bucks says this is bait, so I am saging. But if you think your smart because you are going into coding, good luck when your brain fries, and you have to become a teacher.
Pre-med fag here, and I agree. Everyone and their mom wants to be a doctor/pharmacist no one wants to learn about the science behind it.

Do you like your bukkakes more when they arrive in Latin?

You're an idiot

Only shitty programming jobs are a bubble

At my job my boss literally cannot hire enough qualified people, barely anyone is qualified, we pay really good

Quads confirm

>Going into academia for the money
That's like becoming an actor for the job security.

If you were that desperate you would train people lmao.

I find that very hard to believe. Aren't you making 20k a year or something ridiculous like that? Seems like you would be living in a shitty little apartment on Rape Street with that kind of money. And no fucking way you own a car.

somebody tell me what the fuck to major in so i can have a good life

Why do you lie?

>teaching myself things which I find interesting
You don't get published by learning whatever you want. And you'd better make your advisor happy if he's funding you.
>getting into ridiculously good shape
There is no way you found the time to exercise.
>developing my social skills
Every PhD student I know has terrible social skills compared to people in industry.
>learning everything I need to set up a business
This is at least somewhat believable.

What are you interested in?

Philosophy

Ok. Here are your options:

>Major in philosophy. You'll have a tough time career-wise. Not recommended if you will graduate with debt and you don't have a plan to pay it.
>Think about what precisely interests you about philosophy and find another major that appeals to you in the same way and will give you a brighter future career-wise. Maybe add a minor in philosophy. This is probably the best option if you are open-minded.
>Become a NEET and read philosophy for 16 hours a day.

I don't really have an extreme interest in anything, but I would say I'm most interested in natural sciences. I'm undecided right now so I've been experimenting with some classes.

I really hate math.

I'm actually taking an intro to philosophy class and I like it, but I want money

Pick the major you like most; it's that simple. For me, that was philosophy. I'm a senior now, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Not everyone gets a career pertaining to their major. You gotta think, college is 4-8 years of your life. Enjoy it, and find your way using the foundation you build while studying.

>I really hate math
How much math have you taken so far?
You should really look into that. It is not uncommon for people to go from hating math to loving it after they've been exposed to the good parts. Alternatively, having something to apply the math you learn to can be motivating. But perhaps you aren't as naive as I suspect you are and you have really decided that math isn't for you.
In any case, if you can't stand math, you are probably going to have a tough time in any scientific field.

This. Quality (especially quality niche) programmers are always in high demand. The typical programmer is completely incompetent, mainly because they ignore the underlying theory and mathematics, sticking with some very high-level framework/language and not really developing any universal programming skills.

Ive spent the last few weeks looking at Software Engineering jobs and they all talk about being skilled in some shitty framework.

Where are the skilled gud niche jobs hiding?

>There is no way you found the time to exercise.
It doesn't take a huge time commitment to get in shape. That's just a fat people excuse.

Well I've got a ChemE degree and I'm working for a biotech place in the Bay Area getting paid lmao 60k/yr (poverty wages up here). I took a lowball offer because I was desperate and the company is really cool. In a year or two I should be a wizard at genetic sequencing, bioprocess design and automation, which I'm hoping I can leverage into a better job. But for now I wake up at night wondering if I've made a huge mistake.

You're probably right. I just really didn't like math throughout high school. It's my first semester as a freshman and I haven't taken any math courses yet. I'll give it another try next semester. Thanks.

>mainly because they ignore the underlying theory and mathematics

It's not even this. They just suck at proper software architecture. I work at one of the big four software companies and you need to have a good grasp of the actual software. You need to have a good grasp of some lower-level details (ie you should know stack vs heap vs etc) but not necessarily like computer engineering level of abstraction. You largely don't need advanced mathematics or anything that Veeky Forums always says. You absolutely however need solid experience with software. You need to understand what kind of designs will work well and be flexible to changing requirements, changes in code, etc without causing lots of bugs.

And that is hard. It requires a lot of experience to get a good grasp on it. You don't just read a book on design patterns and know it all.

You must also understand what will actually benefit the business. There's no point in writing some super abstract system if it's unlikely to change and will not impact the business bottom line. A good programmer needs to be able to weigh these options and figure out what to take.

I just stared an undergraduate in theoretical physics and pure mathematics. How fucked am I career wise?

My advice would be to get good at CS on the side.

How about buying the freedom to be able to study whenever you want? Check Nassim Taleb, a polymath that is also rich. I bet you're an undergrad that has no clue about academia. Publish or perish, and you'll perish unless you're at the top of cognitive and creative ability, you also won't have the freedom to do what you want unless you're at the top.

Thanks, I think I'm gonna be getting two modules of CS in second or third year, would that be enough?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

I’ll take a grande caramel frap please

,m'lady

>19 years old code monkey

How

Is it that bad?

This. Anyone getting a PhD for money instead of passion or pursuit of knowledge is retarded. PhDs are the modern equivalent of medieval monks. You must accept a life of asceticism. Master's are for people seeking recognition above bachelor fags. For this reason I only recommend PhDs for richfag, autists or geniuses.

>ever paying money to learn science/math
why would you ever go to school and not pick something you can make money doing