What do you think of some of my finished poems?

I did them in college a couple years ago over the span of a few weeks but stopped writing since then.

nice collection of overused and meaningles phrases you have there. mind if i burn it?

They read like you're trying to write poems, by which I mean there's no real substance at the centre of them, just things written 'poetically' i.e. with a thesaurus and an air of 19th century.

I remember doing something like this and actually showing people years ago. Worst mistake.

Please don't show anyone what you've done here. It isn't good.

holy... i want more...

its okay..... not

i like the third one

you're the next kolsti

OP here, I'd like for you guys to state your favorite poems or poets as well so I can learn more

i don't like poems. they are a waste of effort

Poems always seemed to me like pretentious bullshit. I hated them in school and I hate them now.

i mean, the problem with me and poetry is that it is exactly what you wrote. uninspired, zero novelty, ridden with clichées and empty phrases. change that and i might change my mind about poetry

Fair enough; that's part of the reason that I quit after a few weeks; I just couldn't find much inspiration from modern poets and the old masters were just too good to emulate.

It takes a truly brave or delusional person to post sophomoric poetry. Kudos for that. Of course you have no discernible talent, and appear never to have read a decent poem, let alone written one.

>sycophantic simile secreted
Unfortunate choice of phrase. Secreted from which gland, I wonder.

Also, typography =/= poetry.

>I have no need for metaphor
Thats good cause you clearly cannot make one.

i'm not talking about inspiration from other poets but in general.
i don't really read any poetry, but the ones i've came across has never been able to make me pause in awe or relate to it or whatever reaction it's supposed to generate.
sure i can apprecciate the pure beauty of the words and the rhythm of the verse. but come on! sadly, fawning over someones poetic vomit is not my nr one priority

Post your favorite poems then :D

I actually liked them; those thoughts in the head The first one I can see is about love, the 2nd is about something I do not know, yet wish to. Thirdly, is about something that I cannot know but feel.

1st: it's about poetry not being able to accurately depict love, but it shouldn't stop one from trying

2nd: it's about certain types of sex being entirely hedonistic

3rd: it contrasts thinking about fate as something uncontrollable, as opposed to rather thinking about fate as self-created

4th: similar to 3rd, it's about events repeating themselves in certain ways in our lives, that nothing is truly lost forever

Check out Olena Kalytiak Davis. She plays around with word spacing and some similar themes.

if you want to write crazy shit work harder at it
>like me
1/2

Here's one of my favorites, with commentary.

pleb commentary, completely misses the allusion to romeo and juliet that would've placed the whole poem in an ironic light, whereas the commentator seems to be enamored by what he obviously views as a insightful subversion of the sonnet form

new yorker is truly middle brow garbage

A question - are you unironically proud of this letter vomit to post it in every poetry thread, or it's just a meme?

Hmm, not sure about her poetry (not really a fan of the whole "poem as a puzzle with many different pieces to decipher" type of poetry) but one of her blog posts is so true:

>"did “you” see the aristocrats? it so reminded me of the “poetry world” (and the world of poetry). isn’t it exactly what we are doing? retelling the same existential “joke”, so many versions/variations on the same theme, mostly for the sheer pleasure and pain of it, mostly for ourselves and others employed in the same profession/manner? let the philistines (also just saw the squid and the whale) eavesdrop: they will think it is funny/sad/good/bad laugh cry for all the wrong reasons. (or are they the right ones?) and we will be secretly disclosing great and hideous truths about ourselves and our fellow….poets? so insert “dirty” transgressive aggressive post-neo-confessional disclosure/discourse here, OR DON”T, great attention to wording to timing to breath, OR NOT, bring the usual tricks, mess with the usual tricks, stay inside the joke by leaving the joke, insert subtle allusions/nods to shakespeare, chaucer, herbert, donne, hopkins, dickinson, whitman, moore, wcw, lowell, bishop, plath, creeley, berrigan, and insert your personal poetry friends here. the actual content almost doesn’t matter! voila! (i originally typed: viola!) (and that, too, is part of the joke..) (what isn’t?)
punch line: and, um, what do you call it?
poetry!"

Crazy's an understatement, I feel schizoid just looking at it

i'm proud of it. you should be too this place helped make it to some degree