10000 hour myth? Genetics? Early exposure?

Is 10000 hours a myth?
Can I become a heavy metal guitarist despite picking up guitar at 17?
I read you need to pick it up at a younger age to become the best guitarist as guitar would become second nature. I'm also still. Beginner.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U6e6iejHJ7A
clyp.it/wzcwutdu
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You need to be 18+ to post here.

You can't be retarded enough to think you need 10,000 hours to be good at _anything_.

10,000 hours is suggested as a metric for how long it would take you to completely master something. Becoming a virtuoso pianist, or maybe one of those ultra-wanklords like Petrucci if you want to think about guitar.
I can guarantee you listen to many artists that haven't even practiced 5000 hours in their lives.

I don't think you'll be able to become the greatest ever, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to eventually develop proficiency with enough hard work.

Heavy metal? Sure, no probs. A good guitarist? No chance.

You can't become Yngwie Malmsteen if that's what you're aiming for.

Could I ever become like the bass guitarist from mudvayne. He plays extremely technical parts and is admired for his skill by many.

Could I become Slipknot tier at least?

yes, as long as you devote a significant portion of your life to it. At the end of the day you will only really be limited by how committed you are to not only learning but also progressing.

Depends on the skill ceiling of what you're learning. I've been playing the piano for most of my life but could never play as well as this.
youtube.com/watch?v=U6e6iejHJ7A

Well shit that's 'greatest', that's probably early exposure and genetics.

You can play in a band and play technically complex pieces right?

its not a myth.
Train train train.

Only for chads, incels are doomed by their genetics. This is a fact.

Bullshit. incels just have to stop sex is a big deal. Being virgin or not doesnt matter.
t.virgin
If you train on a game for hours. lets say a hard game. would you still be shit ?

i started playing guitar at ~11-13 and am inherently better than anyone that started later, even if they practice more than I do.

Thank you . All the fucking normies on sci giving blue pilled answers.

If you are Incel then yes. You will be mediocre at most. Chads are exposed at an early age and have the genetics for it.

>genetics for playing a vidya game.
>genetics for pulling strings in an order.
FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU. FUCK YOU FUCK YOU.

>even if they practice more than I do

Bullshit faggot. Someone who puts in serious effort is better than someone who's been half assing it for a longer time.

Can't handle the chad black pill you blue pilled Incel cuck?

i didn't half ass it. I play every day, but I am considered really, really good, even if i stop playing for an entire summer, I can pick it up and I'm still amazing. It's like my brain developed to be good at guitar when I started before puberty.

You obviously have more hours than everyone else idiot.

Also our ugly so good luck with your music career.

Well I definitely believe you play guitar because only guitarists suck their own dicks that much. That still doesn't mean people who practice more aren't better.

t. cucks that refuse to believe that their 10,000 hours aren't equivalent to someones 10,000 hours that started when they were young and still developing

You're thinking and talking about worthless shit like games. You've already lost.

it's a myth perpetuated by malcom "igon values" gladwell and other deniers of genetic determinism (truth)

t. Brainlet that doesn't development processes and thinks the children being a sponge meme extends to all aspects of learning

The absolute skill level required to play guitar at the "professional level" is much lower than instruments like piano or violin. You can't become professional level at those but mastering a few covers for guitar at the same level as those who played it should be ezpz

tldr yes

>The absolute skill level required to play guitar at the "professional level" is much lower than instruments like piano or violin.

This.

Shit guitarists get by quite easy in most music. Try playing the violin. It's much more difficult.

Here's a piece that I did where the concept was a guitar and violin trading off solos.

clyp.it/wzcwutdu

I'm 24, can i become good at anything?

>see Kyle Landry on youtube playing the violin like a madman
>Oh i want to learn to play the violin too
>he uploads a video about his violin playing his history
>he started playing at 3
>mfw it's too late for me

rob landes, not kyle landry

It's not too late, it's just that you will have to adjust your expectations.

The brain is more elastic when you are young which not only makes it easier to learn, but it also allows one who is motivated not to believe that they can't do something.

FPBP

Neuroplasticity continues into adulthood to an extent.

It will be more difficult to form new neural connections from scratch, though on the other hand you lack the impulsive erratic behavior of a teenager. So while a teenager might master some guitar riffs in 20 minutes then get distracted and do something pointless for hours, you can focus and continue to pluck riffs for hours straight until you get it.

Think of all the old fucks who picked up music at 65 and jam out at church and local events. They are passable and brains are half dead.

This is one of the most ill conceptualized things in the history of mankind.

The amount of time you practice does not matter as much as how you practice. I could spend 10k hours playing one chord but I would only be good at that one chord.