Uni Thread

Post your Uni and degree you're undertaking.
MSc in SYNTHETICBiology.

Other urls found in this thread:

ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxford/OU_GAO_Statistics_2015-6.pdf
ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/undergraduate?wssl=1
public.tableau.com/views/UoO_UG_Admissions2/AcceptanceRate?:embed=y&:display_count=yes&:showTabs=y&:showVizHome=no
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Physics BSc

Durham 2nd year engineering. I fucking hate this place.

How come? No friends or just bad teaching?

University of Oxford
>MSc in Computer Science

Although i did my undergrad at Imperial in Biomedical Engineering.

Why the sudden change?

Figured out that my desired field (Nerual Prosthetics) is not as dynamic as I wanted it to be. So went into imaging and ended up doing loads of ML and Data Science. Decided to go full CS after that as I found it much more interesting.

Hey, what year are you studying?
Edinburgh University MPhys Physics. I went direct entry to year 2, boys.

No friends lol. Is it normal to not find friends who are genuinely interesting and likeable for a while in uni?

I'm new at uni too, and I can't really seem to connect with anybody properly. I also want to ask out some of the qt girls that are my neighbours in my accomm, but I know I'll fuck it up and seem like a creep.

Havent you only been at uni for a week?

Yeah lol But it seems that normies make friends almost instantly, so I feel quite alone, spending my time watching movies and doing the maths.

Its true, I dont understand how people form cliques in a few days with no basis for friendships. Can't help you there buddy

sucks dude, classes started 3 weeks ago for me and I haven't made a single new friend in all of this. I have a class where there's 6 people total in it and that's the only one where I ever talk to people because it's impossible not to. Every other class I sit there like some super autist and stare at the board the whole time.

Just join some societies for fuck sake, or hang around in the kitchen of your halls then start talking to someone. Or just go to the union when theres some even on. This isn't hard guys.

Just b urslf

In general, yeah. Unless you're a robot, in which case be literally anyone else.

I can talk to people, but I don't find them interesting, and I haven't made friends who I genuinely like no matter how hard I smooth talk people

Its a one year course. Most MSc seem to be in the UK.
You have classes in King's Buildings right?

In my undergrad I made no friends in uni. It is a terrible experience and your grades will reflect that.
Now I'm trying as hard as I can to connect to others and I find that although most are mismatches, some seem alright. Just gotta spend enough time with them.

Yeah, every morning at 9am till about 1 every day

So does your degree count as postgrad? And how many years is it?

Imperial

Bsc in BioSci

Anyone know when the Msc applications are supposed to be sent? I'm entering the 3rd and final year and I haven't decided which direction I want to take.

How do you like Oxford and life at Oxford compared to Imperial and London?

Majoring in anime

>that degree
>that college
Say hello to a financially comfy life for the rest of your life

Any union events are going to be full of turbo-normies

WashU. Majoring in Neuroscience. Ultimate plan is to become a Neurosurgeon and prove God exists.

CS with a math minor

Hated Imperial, feels more like a frat house than a uni (maybe just my course).
Oxford is much more chilled and friendly, you actually get to meet interesting people doing different stuff
and have more meaningful events than in London.
At Imperial pretty much everyone was the same no matter what they studied.
London is a shithole and anyone who doesnt get tired of it after a year has serious mental issues.
The only reason to stay in London is the money.

Hope youre right man, applying ATM.

UC Berkeley Pure Math Freshman
110 and 55 are chill and fun as fuck, really enjoying math here.

Physics

Bsc in CS+Math
BA in Latin+Greek.

Majoring in physics

Doing an integrated masters in maths, surprised with how great the city is and I lucked out on some great flatmates

University of Alabama at Birmingham

Pure math MS

Physics through natural sciences? how is it please? What first year modules did you take?

doing quantum theory of everything at MuskU with a minor in AI

BSc (Hons) in Biology and Mathematics

What college lad?

CREOL

MPhys (Hons) in Astrophysics

This is now a St Andrews thread

This man walks into the union bar and calculates the volume integral of your gf's arse, what do you do?

Edinburgh btfo

What's it like studying SynthBio?

What's your syllabus like?

Also, did you compete in the iGEM competition at all?

Just started first semester of Bioinformatics. Any advice?

>FSU, undergrad B.S in chemistry
>GT, PhD in organic and polymer chemistry

Oxford DPhil particle physics

Physics. 1st semester

ChemE

Go blazers, you faggot

Wildlife Ecology and Management at Auburn University

Applied Mathematics

phd in financial mathematics

University of Virginia (UVa)
PhD in High Energy Physics

Fellow oxgoy, 2nd year chemistry undergrad

Integrated masters in maths at uos here too, second year, are you endcliffe or city?

Hey, Florida fag here. How does this school compare with FIU, UM and the like? Also, does this school have a decent undergraduate program, or would I be better of spending the first 4 years somewhere else?

Astrology...

I went to undergrad at FSU ()

Undergrad does not matter. All universities are essentially the same in what they offer academically just in a different colored bow. The undergrad chemistry degree between FSU and UF for instance, you took the same classes and labs, FSUs inorganic lab was mandatory while UFs was optional but you had to take an extra biochem course. You are given the necessary resources to succeed in a given field to a standard set by academics in said field. Now when you are looking to go to grad, med, or law school then university and professor choice truly matters. Now mind you, come undergrads offer majors other simply dont so do your research on that.

I grew up in Orlando. I went to FSU because virtually no one from highschool was going there and I wanted to meet new people and not be tempted to just stick with what I know. It was also far enough from home to be able to visit but not too easily but was also in state.

BSME-MSME

Electrical Engineering

Just finished MSe in Mechanical Engineering.

MPhys is a 5 year course

I wanted to go to Imperial, it was my #1 choice for that reason. From what I understood, everyone was either autistic or Asian - sounded comfy. Went for an interview in November 2015 for Maths&Compsci and fucked it up badly, I was the first person in my year at school to get an interview and I didn't prepare at all. Probably my biggest regret in life. Also applied to Oxford the same year, was my #2 but didn't get in because they almost exclusively accept foreigners for that course and only about 20 at that, although I was good enough to go for interview.

Reapplied this past year for pure Compsci, didn't even get an interview this time at Imperial, did well enough on the MAT to interview at Oxford again - rejected again though. Also rejected from UCL my #3 so I've had to settle for KCL (my #4).

fuck my life

Anyway I'm going to ace compsci at king's and then go on to do law in murica.

>London is a shithole and anyone who doesnt get tired of it after a year
Try living here for 19 years. Will be 22 by the time I've graduated. Thing is that I'd kill myself if I had to live anywhere else in the UK.

How did you get in without the CS prereq's?

> Thing is that I'd kill myself if I had to live anywhere else in the UK.

>police state
>laws only apply if you're white
>more than 70% of your income goes to the state

come to america bby

>Didn't get in because they only accept foreigners
Lived here for all my life, got in
You didn't get in because you're a brainlet

BSc in ChemE

MMathCompsci at Oxford
First year of an undergrad masters starting in October, of course only if I do well enough in years 2 and 3 or I have to graduate with a BA.
Not going to name the college because that'll narrow it down too much.

EE BS (probably)

Or maybe EE+Applied Physics dual

Going for CompSci with a possible dual major in Math rn. I'm liking my classes even of they are a little easy. Gonna start some self study to supplement.

Harrowing

Had First Class Honours in BEng (GPA: 3.86) and worked in software for 2 years before deciding to do masters.

That sucks man, can't know why would they reject you. No idea how it works. CS&M is cool at Imperial, most of my friends did that and all are Romanians. If it's any comfort, CS in Oxford tends to be really theorethical so doing CS from KCL might prepare you better for practical work.

London is shit but Oxford is quite comfy, I worked and studied there for 3 years and liked it much more than London.

Weird I found oxford shit and london comfy

I've heard this excuse from many people at Oxbridge.
Is there any truth to it?
Do unis actually preferr/allocate students depending on origin?

Good one, IMHO ETH is right up there in top 3-5 unis in Europe if not world

I was always surprised that its easier to get into M&CS than pure CS at Oxford.
Was considering doing my MSC in M&CS but ended up doing pure CS since I wanted more focus and practical work

Alright, thanks a ton. I am going to spend my undergrad years at something close then.

Not for Maths & Computer Science you didn't. Looking at the breakdown, almost every single person was a foreigner. I got one of the best MAT scores and had A*A*A*A* A-level predictions with 10A*s at GCSE.

>come to america bby
I plan to as soon as possible. Just got to keep my head down and power through the next 3 years.

Yes it's a proven fact that they favour foreign students because they get a shit ton more money from them. About 55% of London students are foreigners for the same reason.

ETH is definitely top 5 in Europe. World top 20.

>I was always surprised that its easier to get into M&CS than pure CS at Oxford
Strangely their M&CS course is bigger than pure CS.

>most of my friends did that and all are Romanians
That's interesting, the Romanian in my year applied for joint maths and computing at Imperial too (got rejected because he left further maths out of his application by accident and called them up to explain so they put him on pure CS).

>CS in Oxford tends to be really theorethical
My dad's best friend is a professor at Oxford and he said Oxford has a very strange way of deciding the curriculum. Every faculty member in the department has to agree on a curriculum change which means it rarely changes even over decades.

>KCL might prepare you better for practical work
Yeah probably, but I decided I don't plan on pursuing a career in tech. I want to do law.

bachelor in math/philosophy

I'm in city, did you take MAS115 or know anyone that did? Only just looked at the topics in it to realism its basically CS kicking myself a bit

What do you think of the suckless movement?

guy you replied to here
it depends on what you're going to study
in general, undergrad doesn't matter worth a shit. I went to FIU (which is fucking horrendous, by the way, but which has an AMAZING math program) for my undergrad and got into UChicago for my PhD. I then left and applied to FSU because FSU's financial math phd program is amazing and i didn't like chicago
the moral being: go to whichever school offers you the most money and just focus on studying your ass off, doing internships, and doing REUs
make your decision on where to do to grad school based on the strength of the program in your particular discipline (not school ranking, which is worthless) and based on whether there are any professors whose research you want to contribute to

What major?

Supply chain management at Lund, Sweden

Go cry some more

>he thinks I give a shit about Oxford
I'm bitter about Imperial, I don't give a shit about Oxford. It's an overrated institution with a shitty outdated course. Employers know that. After all, Imperial, UCL and KCL graduates all out earn Oxford Computer Science graduates.

fukkin sick logo, so jelly of Heidelberg. Oxford's is wank and has a fucking belt as the outline wtf

BSc Maths

Damn, someone's angry about a place they apparently don't care for

oxford family we in here.

What colleges? I'm at univ

cs/math

>Yes it's a proven fact that they favour foreign students

This doesn't make sense on so many levels.
If they got more money why don't they take in only foreign students.
Also EU students pay the same tuition fees so that means most people should be non-EU.

Besides, when I was doing my MSc a large majority was UK/EU.

As additional proof, see the graduate admission statistics for 2015-2016:
ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxford/OU_GAO_Statistics_2015-6.pdf

Also the undergradiate admission statistics:
ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/undergraduate?wssl=1
public.tableau.com/views/UoO_UG_Admissions2/AcceptanceRate?:embed=y&:display_count=yes&:showTabs=y&:showVizHome=no

Pic related are table extracts from statistics, both clearly show that non-EU students
have lower acceptance rate than EU/UK ones.
Therefore I think the foreign preference myth is bust.

B.S. in biochemistry
>I'll be so impressed if anyone knows about my shitty little college.

good combo

Don't go Blazers. This university is run by a bunch of morons.

it fuckin is. can't wait to walk through these halls

kinda aiming for A.I. with it, if I'm aiming at all

Doctor of Medicine (MD)